Time Gunnar's triple

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's highlights.  It isn't meant to be used as a scouting tool.

Maybe they could put a disclaimer somewhere.

Yeah I'm just coming from a place of working at myriad publications--both hard news and not--where publishing edited content without a disclaimer would get you fired. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Remember The Alomar said:

Yeah I'm just coming from a place of working at myriad publications--both hard news and not--where publishing edited content without a disclaimer would get you fired. 

One time the Times Picayune was doing a story about a project I was working on. The photographer was  taking action shots of me and I asked if moving to another position would be a better shot. He asked: “would you have done that if I wasn’t here?” I said no, not really. He said “No way! I can’t influence anything!”

56 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

One time the Times Picayune was doing a story about a project I was working on. The photographer was  taking action shots of me and I asked if moving to another position would be a better shot. He asked: “would you have done that if I wasn’t here?” I said no, not really. He said “No way! I can’t influence anything!”

Exactly. He was a very good photog.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I just went to the archive and streamed it. I got 10.77.

Was this from the replay of the whole game or from highlights?  I can't tell if that's the case here, but it's possible that the highlights were edited to compress the actual time.

FWIW Statcast has Gunnar at #32 for sprint speed and #21 for running splits overall, so whatever the actual time of the triple, he's one of the fastest players in the ML.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Was this from the replay of the whole game or from highlights?  I can't tell if that's the case here, but it's possible that the highlights were edited to compress the actual time.

FWIW Statcast has Gunnar at #32 for sprint speed and #21 for running splits overall, so whatever the actual time of the triple, he's one of the fastest players in the ML.

From the whole game. The camera angle didn't show Gunnar going into third base, but the live replay right after stayed on him out of the box the whole way.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

From the whole game. The camera angle didn't show Gunnar going into third base, but the live replay right after stayed on him out of the box the whole way.

I would trust it then.  Kid's fast.

1 hour ago, Remember The Alomar said:

If this is true, that is wild malpractice. Not that the MLB.com is a journalistic institution, but folks read/watch their production as the record of what actually happened in any given baseball game. 

I'm guessing one of two things is true: either you don't subscribe to mlb.tv, or you're joking when you suggest that the mlb.tv operation might have an ounce of integrity, journalistic or otherwise.

2 hours ago, Remember The Alomar said:

If this is true, that is wild malpractice. Not that the MLB.com is a journalistic institution, but folks read/watch their production as the record of what actually happened in any given baseball game. 

Highlight reels are fundamentally no different today than newsreels from the 1930's.  They're entertainment products based in reality but not enslaved to it.

• Upvote 1

One thing about this play was the ball wasn’t in the air long.  No temptation for the batter to follow the flight of the ball.  A good time to 3B is largely about getting a good jump right out of the box.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gunnar Henderson triples (3) on a ground ball to right fielder Jo Adell. | 04/22/2024 | MLB.com

Do me a favor and time this, starting with contact until Gunnar hits 3B.   I've done it three times and came up with 10.73, 10.79 and 10.81 seconds.   Tell me what you get.   

So far as I'm aware, the fastest triples of the Statcast era were 10.75 seconds, by Bryan Buxton and Corbin Carroll.

No one in the MLB is close to Buxton's speed on triples - Bring Me The News

D-backs rookie Corbin Carroll paces fastest home-to-3rd time since 2020 (arizonasports.com)

His times are one thing...but his intensity and daring make him a very dangerous base runner..though he does get picked off once in a while..

2 hours ago, hutchead said:

I have it on dvr and I timed it four times. I got 10.75, 10.80, 10.74, and 10.78.

Can I ask how you timed it vs the DVR?  Did you use a stopwatch or count click with pause/FF, or something else?

11 hours ago, Remember The Alomar said:

You should totally sue them. What gall they have to kinda, sorta imply that their baseball replays are accurate to the tenths of a second when they might not actually be that. That's exactly what leads to distrust of all institutions, chaos, revolution, and then we're living in some kind of post-apocalyptic hellscape, boiling our own shoes for the meager nutrition in the leather.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Haha 2