Time Gunnar's triple

Frobby

47 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You should totally sue them. What gall they have to kinda, sorta imply that their baseball replays are accurate to the tenths of a second when they might not actually be that. That's exactly what leads to distrust of all institutions, chaos, revolution, and then we're living in some kind of post-apocalyptic hellscape, boiling our own shoes for the meager nutrition in the leather.

This seems unnecessarily nasty, Drungo.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Can I ask how you timed it vs the DVR?  Did you use a stopwatch or count click with pause/FF, or something else?

I just used the stop watch on my phone. Not the most accurate way to do it but the only way I know how.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

Gunnar is an absurdly good baserunner. It's my favorite part of his overall game. 

I've said this before, but it looks like he's on fire and the only way to extinguish the flames is to hit a brick wall.

Sometimes I wonder if he was on another team in the division if I would hate him.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't even remember that happening. He's essentially the best baserunner in the game. 

Great base runner but picked off by Salvi Perez at 3B in KC, less than two outs.  Muy mal.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Great base runner but picked off by Salvi Perez at 3B in KC, less than two outs.  Muy mal.

I dunno, it happens. The value he adds completely dwarfs something like that. He's also perfect in steal attempts. He could be Bobby Witt, who is fast but kind of a mess out there. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno, it happens. The value he adds completely dwarfs something like that. He's also perfect in steal attempts. He could be Bobby Witt, who is fast but kind of a mess out there. 

Gunnar’s base running is in the 99th percentile.  That mess is in the 98th percentile.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Oh, I don't know. I thought when accusing someone of wild malpractice over possibly, maybe, slightly speeding up highlights that kind of opened the door to a little goofy exaggeration.

Yeah, I can tell. I'm probably making something out of nothing, but I just thought better of you 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, elextrano8 said:

Yeah, I can tell. I'm probably making something out of nothing, but I just thought better of you 🤷‍♂️

Wait, Drungo isn't allowed to make jokes? I thought that post was hilarious given the context. I think better of him for it, though I've always thought highly of him.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, hutchead said:

I just used the stop watch on my phone. Not the most accurate way to do it but the only way I know how.

Briefly, here is the method I use with a DirecTV DVR for all sorts of timing in football analysis:

1. From a recording on your DVR, hit pause at some point shortly before the ball is released by the pitcher

2. While still on pause, use the FF button to advance the video 1 "frame" at a time.  On 1080i, the screen is redrawn 30 times per second, so each click is 1/30th of a second.  On 720p or 1080p, it's 60 frames per second.  So timing should be accurate to either 1/30th (0.033) or 1/60th (0.017) of a second

3. Advance the video to the point of contact--It is easy to go forward, but difficult to go backward, so you need to advance slowly to fin the closest point

4. From that point, count the number of FF clicks until Gunnar hits 3rd base, you should actually be able to see the image move with each click, so it's easier to count these than you might think

5. Divide clicks counted by 30 to get seconds for the event.  For example, if you get 322 clicks, it's 10 and 22/30 seconds (10.73 sec).  This assumes the MASN broadcast is in 1080i.

I've been using this method for more than 15 years and you can confirm calibration with an NFL game where the clock is on the screen.  Since you don't have that in baseball, you just have to know whether it's 30 or 60 clicks per second and you'll know that by whether it's an 11 or 22-second triple.