This team will make another early exit from the playoffs

dystopia

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

For some levity…

The radio broadcast had a HS kid on with them in the booth during an inning. They let him do play by play for a batter and it just so happened to be the Mullins HR. 

It was a pretty cool moment. 

That same kid was on TV for an inning before his radio stint and Kevin Brown was saying he hoped the kid got to do his home run call.  I’m pretty sure that the kid is autistic, as yesterday was Autism Awareness Day at the ballpark.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That same kid was on TV for an inning before his radio stint and Kevin Brown was saying he hoped the kid got to do his home run call.  I’m pretty sure that the kid is autistic, as yesterday was Autism Awareness Day at the ballpark.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-first-pitch-to-be-from-marriotts-ridge-high-student-with-autism#:~:text=For Autism Acceptance Night%2C the,the Autism Society of Maryland.

55 minutes ago, Philip said:

Joe Posnanski wrote a wonderful book, called “The Baseball 100,” his 100 greatest players. It’s full of wonderful quotes, but it leaves out a quote that is not just all of Baseball in three words, but that applies to all of life.

”Sometimes you suck.”

Adam Jones.

God bless Adam Jones.

Yes, Hyde makes boneheaded decisions almost every game. Yes Mike should have done this or not done that, Yes Cowser shouldn’t have thrown that way, Ryan shouldn’t have missed the fly, yada yada.

I was screaming as loud as anyone. My wife said,”I thought you liked baseball,”

But now it’s tomorrow. 

“Sometimes you suck.”

Charge on.

I think your wife might be on to something. If you’re not enjoying watching the games, what’s the point?  Watch a sport where a good team only loses a few times a year if every loss sends you into a spiral. 

Last night was a good, tight, well pitched ballgame. It was a bummer we lost, especially with a blown save. But that’s baseball, and that happens to every single team, multiple times per year. It’s what makes the games so tense and exciting in the first place. That’s the part I don’t get - we’re all long time baseball fans, we know the ebbs and flows of a season. Given that, why so much negativity so early on?

Anyway. I’ve said enough on this topic and I’m sure my thoughts are falling mostly on deaf ears. Everybody can fan how they want. I’ll just continue to stay off the board after losses so I don’t get caught up in how some people choose to. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bingo!!! And to add more levity, All AL East teams lost last night and our Joey Ortiz almost single handedly beat the Sanks!!!! There were a lot of tears in Mudville last night.

50 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think your wife might be on to something. If you’re not enjoying watching the games, what’s the point?  Watch a sport where a good team only loses a few times a year if every loss sends you into a spiral. 

Last night was a good, tight, well pitched ballgame. It was a bummer we lost, especially with a blown save. But that’s baseball, and that happens to every single team, multiple times per year. It’s what makes the games so tense and exciting in the first place. That’s the part I don’t get - we’re all long time baseball fans, we know the ebbs and flows of a season. Given that, why so much negativity so early on?

Anyway. I’ve said enough on this topic and I’m sure my thoughts are falling mostly on deaf ears. Everybody can fan how they want. I’ll just continue to stay off the board after losses so I don’t get caught up in how some people choose to. 

Of course you’re correct, but you misunderstood.

I was not crazy, not kick the cat or smash the TV or “Curse God and Die,” but was agitated because I was involved, and that emotional involvement is the main requirement for enjoying a sport in the first place, because if you don’t care, there’s no incentive to watch.

In the moment, of course, nothing else matters. After the fact, you dig your toe in the dirt for a few minutes, castigate some decisions, and then you move on. It’s tomorrow, a new day, a new game.

That was the point of my comment, and I’m really surprised you 100% missed it.

I thought that was a good game, and if we’re going to lose, let’s lose to the sucky teams instead of the guys we’re competing with.

“Sometimes you suck” and last night they did. And they probably will 20 or 30 more times this season. And I will be annoyed about those as well, and then it will be tomorrow and we will move on.

It’s why we watch.

7 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

It really makes the board a worse place to be frankly.  Yes you can just not click on these threads, but similar posts get sprinkled throughout. 

It amazes me that some people, who purportedly have been baseball fans for a long time, get so worked up over one game this early in the season. Any rational fan knows we are going to lose at least 60 games bare minimum, even as one of the best teams in the AL. Yet it’s rant city after every one. It’s ridiculous, and as you said, straight up dumb. 

Playing devils advocate here, there’s that old baseball yarn, something along the lines of “every team loses 60, every team wins 60, it’s what they do with the remaining 40 or so that counts”

It’s been attributed to different people with different numbers (40 wins, 40 losses for every team, the remaining 80 are what counts) but you get the idea. 

For the chicken little crowd, last night was one of those “remainder games that counts”. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much money did people have on this game? I know the Moneyline was huge.  Did someone lay the $265 to win $100? The day-to-day rants over a 100 win team after every loss only points to people losing money on the game.

We need a new “Gambling Rants Section”.  

The takeaways from this game is the Burnes is being a little pitch inefficient and seems stuck on the 5-6 IP range as opposed to the 6-7 IP SP that we need from him. The other one is the offense. You have to adjust to the ballpark. Homers on the road. More doubles and gap shots in our spacious LF. 

I never understood what @Tony-OHwas saying about McKenna until last season. His baseball instincts aren’t there. I love the call up. Love the role. You can never argue having a backup CF/defensive replacement/pinch runner type. We have that at Util IF with Mateo, but we were hoping McKenna could fill that role for us. Nah, we might have to look outside the org for a vet Michael Bourn type. 

McKenna is fine. I didn’t say he was great, I didn’t say he was terrible, he’s just fine. 

I’d like a better defensive replacement but it is what it is. 

14 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

If they are wearing the City Connect unis and the series starts on a Friday Night, I have a difficult time disagreeing with the OP. ;)

I actually thought those unis looked a lot better with white pants, which I don’t think they had worn before. Black pants just never look right. 

• 4 weeks later...