Is Hyde/Sigbot burying another prospect?

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Can I get a definition of what people around here mean when they say Sigbot? Because I always assumed it meant Sig Mejdal. However that makes little sense given the context with Mike Elias as the GM out ranking him.

Sigbot to me is just the whole system from the analysts to the computer programs themselves that looks for minute small advantages when setting lineup or usage outlines. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

There appears to be a contingent who appears to believe that a computer makes every decision for the team.

Can you point to that contingent? Just one. Find me one person who says that and I'll say that I agree with you, otherwise, you're being sarcastic for no reason.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Can you point to that contingent? Just one. Find me one person who says that and I'll say that I agree with you, otherwise, you're being sarcastic for no reason.

You read the board. Sigbot isn't even a real thing, it's how people rationalize what the front office does. Do you or do you not believe that every single decision is made by plugging something into a computer and doing just that? If you say you don't believe that, then why use the word Sigbot?

Edit: By the word you, I mean the board in general who use the term.

Edited by Malike

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

I don't write that great.  In real life I have a massive stutter and failed my Maryland writing test in High school the first time and had to retake it.  

I honestly was just trying to make a joke on the stats driven front office.  I would never imply or act as if your opinion is not wanted.  

I think Kjerstad must be in a box of big bat no glove no need to treat like a true prospect.  I was trying to bring that point up in a funny way.  Obviously I failed.  I often do.

Yet you articulated that very clearly. 

• Downvote 1

I do think that at this point you either need to go all in with the youngsters, and kind of harvest your way through the ones that can adjust fairly quickly and those that cannot....or keep the youngsters down on the farm.

This half in half out strategy is to me not going to work in the long run.   Because if the vets fail while playing here all year, and being honest I have no faith in guys like Urias helping us win a WS this year, then you are screwed because the youngsters, who could have been up here sowing their oats, are going to be green as a 2 year old yearling filly racehorse.

Call up the guys you want to play.  Actually play them.  Like what we saw with Machado and Henderson and Holliday.   Some will make it like Machado and Hendo and some won't right away.....like Holliday.

But at least you KNOW.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

If Hays isn't back this weekend, I think something like this is about what will start to happen, but we are seeing playoff posture these Yankees games.

Hopefully Kjerstad is becoming a top expert on the Yankees relievers he might face in one big moment these next 48 hours.

Then don't bring up Kjerstad if the plan was for the callup to be the 26th man, use one plate appearance a week guy. 

For the life of me I keep seeing people making excuses and I don't understand it really.

I like Elias, and for the most part, I like Hyde as manager despite the fact he runs his bullpen arms into the ground, but I do not agree on how they using Kjerstad, just like there was no reason TWO years ago to barely play Stower but go out and get an over the hill right-handed DH to play the last month of a season where the Orioles were not going to win anything. 

Now, I've seen people make excuses and point to their usage of other prospects, but it's clear they pick and choose who will get everyday opportunities and I don't agree with bringing up top ten prospects midseason and burying them. 

They 100% could have used Stowers in the same limited role as Kjerstad and at this point, ok. I just don't like how Hyde/Sigbot builds lineups by "maximizing" the advantages supposedly each hitter brings to the table against a certain pitcher, but doesn't take into consideration (or doesn't rank it high enough) of rest and what a lack of activity does to players, particularly young players.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

You read the board. Sigbot isn't even a real thing, it's how people rationalize what the front office does. Do you or do you not believe that every single decision is made by plugging something into a computer and doing just that? If you say you don't believe that, then why use the word Sigbot?

Edit: By the word you, I mean the board in general who use the term.

Sigbot just generalizes the Orioles use of a computer system designed by Sig and analyzed by several people to give the Orioles brass additional information. I haven't seen one person suggest that it makes every single final decision on anything. Perhaps you can go find some posts where someone has said that.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Sigbot just generalizes the Orioles use of a computer system designed by Sig and analyzed by several people to give the Orioles brass additional information. I haven't seen one person suggest that it makes every single final decision on anything. Perhaps you can go find some posts where someone has said that.

Oh please. Do a search for Sigbot and get 950,000 results. I'm not sifting through it all. Look, you post a thread for discussion, then you attack anyone who doesn't agree wholeheartedly with your initial post.

If you want discussion, you have to be prepared for people to have different opinions, and then you have to make sure you have thick enough skin to not freak the F out on people who have a different take. 

If having Kjerstad up here for 10 days while Hays is on the IL is going to ruin him, then he wasn't who we'd hoped he was in the first place. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

Hyde loves his vets.

"Just the way it's played out"

Read that as, "It's just the way the Sigbot gives me the lineups and I didn't keep this job through all those years of losses by denying what the Sigbot tells me to do."

Hyde loves his veterans and he doesn't understand or perhaps more precisely, doesn't value keeping his entire bench fresh. Earl was a master at that.

While Hyde is very good at some things, he his track record suggests he'll run his same 9 out there every day (platoon specific of course) until they break or get so tired they become ineffective. then he'll give a guy who hasn't played in a week a start and watch him go 0-for-4. 

Just now, Malike said:

Oh please. Do a search for Sigbot and get 950,000 results. I'm not sifting through it all. Look, you post a thread for discussion, then you attack anyone who doesn't agree wholeheartedly with your initial post.

If you want discussion, you have to be prepared for people to have different opinions, and then you have to make sure you have thick enough skin to not freak the F out on people who have a different take. 

If having Kjerstad up here for 10 days while Hays is on the IL is going to ruin him, then he wasn't who we'd hoped he was in the first place. 

You don't have a different take, you are trying to be obnoxious and sarcastic by saying that everyone who used Sigbot thinks that the computer makes every decision on the Orioles. 

I called you on it, now you got your panties in a wad, and now you're openly whining. 

I'm absolutely prepared for a discussion and was having one with you and others until you went all sarcastic over the use of SIGBOT. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Then don't bring up Kjerstad if the plan was for the callup to be the 26th man, use one plate appearance a week guy. 

For the life of me I keep seeing people making excuses and I don't understand it really.

I like Elias, and for the most part, I like Hyde as manager despite the fact he runs his bullpen arms into the ground, but I do not agree on how they using Kjerstad, just like there was no reason TWO years ago to barely play Stower but go out and get an over the hill right-handed DH to play the last month of a season where the Orioles were not going to win anything. 

Now, I've seen people make excuses and point to their usage of other prospects, but it's clear they pick and choose who will get everyday opportunities and I don't agree with bringing up top ten prospects midseason and burying them. 

They 100% could have used Stowers in the same limited role as Kjerstad and at this point, ok. I just don't like how Hyde/Sigbot builds lineups by "maximizing" the advantages supposedly each hitter brings to the table against a certain pitcher, but doesn't take into consideration (or doesn't rank it high enough) of rest and what a lack of activity does to players, particularly young players.

I 100% agree. 

57 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Like I said yesterday the current group has no clue how to construct a championship roster. They have immense talent in the minors that isn't being given a chance.

Bringing up Kjerstad and having him ride the bench is a joke.

Why's McKenna here?

Why isn't Povich here?

Norby?

Why was Tate sent down?

Why wasn't Stowers given a chance coming out of camp?

Why weren't moves made to improve the bullpen arms and maybe add another starter this offseason?

What is Elias's gameplan here?

Because we don't have infinite room on the 40 man and active rosters, there are limits on options, and you don't just get rid of players with established value when there is a good chance that the prospect will be worse or a marginal improvement at best. Elias's game plan is to keep as much talent under his control as possible while playing winning baseball. We will all forget what the roster looked like in April if it is looking good in September.