Is Hyde/Sigbot burying another prospect?

Tony-OH

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

With the day game coming on Thursday, you would think he plays in one of the 2 games.

It's possible he plays game four on Thursday if we win tonight.  However, I think we go all out with our best 9 for this series and then see Heston start rotating in when we rest guys starting in Cinncy.  

Overall, when thinking about the Kjerstad call up, we should consider that it's unique timing with the Yankees series.  So let's see what happens when we go to Cinncy and Washington.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was thinking about today vs RHP. But yeah, I guess McCann would wash out Adley's spot. So yeah, I'm back to resting Santander today and Mullins tomorrow.

If we rest Mullins tomorrow, Santander is still in RF. Are you thinking Hyde puts Kjerstad in LF and Cowser or McKenna in center?

I think Hyde will only play Kjerstad at DH or RF.  O’Hearn will play vs RHP and Mountcastle, Santander and Adley will play vs LHP.  

So the only options are (a) to sit Santander or Mountcastle for Kjerstad tonight, or (b) sit McCann for Kjerstad tomorrow (with Adley catching and Heston DH).

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps you missed "haven't seen one person suggest that it makes every single final decision on anything."

I've always said I thought Hyde runs whatever the computer spits out as his lineup barring sickness or injury that need to be taken into consideration. That doesn't mean I think SIGBOT makes all the decisions during the game or roster moves, trades, etc.

I interpreted "on anything" to mean individual decisions such as the lineup, in-game decision, roster moves, trades, etc. What you meant to write was "on everything". But you're the authority on what can be discussed, debated, what constitutes a joke, and what the proper semantics would be.

3 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I interpreted "on anything" to mean individual decisions such as the lineup, in-game decision, roster moves, trades, etc. What you meant to write was "on everything". But you're the authority on what can be discussed, debated, what constitutes a joke, and what the proper semantics would be.

Ah, now it makes more sense. Didn't realize you were a little hater. Noted.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH After thinking about this, I bet we probably see Kjerstad start to get rotated in during the Reds and Nats upcoming serieses. Unless we need his roster spot, but McKenna has no role right now other than needing to clear waivers to go to AAA. 

I’d really like to see big Heston hit a bomb in that ballpark in Cinncy. 

Maybe, maybe not. I think it may depend on when Hays comes off the IL. They could send McKenna back, but since they've found no way to get Kjerstad's bat into games, it probably makes the most sense to send him back so he can keep getting regular PAs.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe, maybe not. I think it may depend on when Hays comes off the IL. They could send McKenna back, but since they've found no way to get Kjerstad's bat into games, it probably makes the most sense to send him back so he can keep getting regular PAs.

I just checked.  Not looking good for Kjerstad to get ABs consistently with us over until 5/10.  We're scheduled to face two lefties in the Cinncy series with some off days after. Our next few games,

5/1 - NYY Gil RHP (Being up 2-0 we might trot out the regulars to take this series)

5/2 - NYY Rodon LHP

5/3 - at Reds unter Greene (Here's a chance)

5/4 - at Reds Abbott LHP

5/5 - at Reds Lodolo LHP

5/6 - off

5/7 - at Nats Williams RHP (Another chance)

5/8 - at Nats Parker LHP 

5/9 - off

If Kjerstad doesn't play tonight then he's really only got two chances to start until 5/10.  If we do decide to bring back Hicks it looks like he'd replace Kjerstad and start some over the next few games.  Mckenna would eventually get DFA'd for Hays' return.  But not trying to start another Hicks debate. 

We'll see what the lineup looks like tonight.  

• Upvote 1

It seems very clear to me that they promoted him to fill out the bench while an injured player is out.  That is what happens with guys on the 40.  He'll get regular at bats when the injured player is back on the roster and he goes back to AAA.  He wasn't called up to start.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

If we rest Mullins tomorrow, Santander is still in RF. Are you thinking Hyde puts Kjerstad in LF and Cowser or McKenna in center?

I think Kjerstad gets in the game today vs a RHP one way or another. Could be Cowser in CF or (most likely) Santander on the bench. Both look like they could use some rest. Probably makes sense to rest Mullins vs LHP tomorrow and start McKenna or Mateo in CF. 

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Also, I have a hunch Kjerstad plays tomorrow. Might not be enough to satisfy the tough crowd here but Santander looks like he needs a day off and the RHP should be a good matchup for Kjerstad.

Herein lies the issue. How can you expect anyone to look good when you give the guy 1 AB in a week. If he goes 0-4 it's used as a reason to send him down (just like Stowers last year). "He's not ready"... He's overmatched at the big league level"...

1 minute ago, DEOriolesfan said:

Herein lies the issue. How can you expect anyone to look good when you give the guy 1 AB in a week. If he goes 0-4 it's used as a reason to send him down (just like Stowers last year). "He's not ready"... He's overmatched at the big league level"...

They don't need an excuse to send him down.

They have no expectation of him looking good.

10 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

I think he's going back down when Hays is healthy. This is purely an opportunity to find some big league AB's for him while filling a hole. Elias does not need to give a reason for sending him back down and Kjerstad probably already knows it's coming. 

20 hours ago, Philip said:

Maybe this comment has already been made, but all those prospect guys are getting older. If a typical player starts to decline around 30 or 31, we are damaging our own prospect value by not doing anything with them. Nothing.

It is maddening that we had Aaron Hicks or Brett Phillips or Tony Kemp instead of giving our guys a chance to develop on the most important stage. 

Even if he’s terrible, starting the season with Holliday, instead of bringing him up two weeks later, just means that we would’ve sent him down two weeks sooner. We wouldn’t have lost anything.

I understand why Heston isn’t playing. Nobody can. It was even mentioned in today’s chat at MLB trade rumors, and the moderator couldn’t understand either.

Mike and the gang are not stupid. They have reasons for what they’re doing, but just because a person has a reason doesn’t mean it’s a reason.

Defense is probably part of the reason Kjerstad isnt in RF . Elias seems to put an emphasis on it. Still Kjerstad could be DH'ing or learning to play 1B. Maybe he's bad there too. I think I've read a report saying he didnt look good at1B either. I think next year alot more PA"s will open up for him and even more so if they don't pick up O'hearn's option. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Defense is probably part of the reason Kjerstad isnt in RF . Elias seems to put an emphasis on it. Still Kjerstad could be DH'ing or learning to play 1B. Maybe he's bad there too. I think I've read a report saying he didnt look good at1B either. I think next year alot more PA"s will open up for him and even more so if they don't pick up O'hearn's option. 

I value defense very highly, and I was incredibly annoyed at all the talk about Mountcastle playing third or left field when he was best suited for first base, which is where he ended up.

So I agree that defense is important, if Heston’s defense doesn’t please the bosses, why don’t they trade him? There’s absolutely no point to keeping a guy whom you consider to be inadequate when you could trade him for something worthwhile.