Basallo for Miller y/n?

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I don't think that they (A's) do Basallo for Miller straight up.

I think it would be hilariously foolish of them not to if it was offered. A top 15 prospect for a closer on a bad team? Of course you take that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deward said:

I think it would be hilariously foolish of them not to if it was offered. A top 15 prospect for a closer on a bad team? Of course you take that. 

Yankees got Torres for a couple months of Chapman.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yankees got Torres for a couple months of Chapman.

“Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it” — Publilius Syrus

"There are alot of dumb GMs out there." -Jon Gruden (while broadcasting the NFL draft)

• Upvote 1

Just now, deward said:

Chapman was much more of a proven commodity. 

This is years, at a very low price.

That was months.

The O's could have an elite closer/set up man combo next year for two million.  There is value in that.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is years, at a very low price.

That was months.

The O's could have an elite closer/set up man combo next year for two million.  There is value in that.

That's a big leap of faith for a guy who's only been THIS guy for 13.1 innings in the majors and has already had a UCL issue. And you're still trading a potential middle of the lineup bat for a reliever. Even for an elite reliever, that value proposition will end up very lop-sided if Basallo comes close to what people think he can be. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree but you are showing your work and I respect that.

I think Miller would be worth a lot more to this O's team over the next few years than Kjerstad would be. 

Miller's also worth a lot less to the A's unless they convert him back to starter, and they may prefer to rebuild with position players, who have less volatility than pitchers.

edit to add: Miller's also got a long injury history, including missing a season due to a shoulder strain, and missing some time last year because of an elbow injury.

Edited by Hallas

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

With all the position player talent within the org, there is going to be no place for him at 1B. You have Moutncastle, Kjerstad, Mayo all in front of Basallo once he arrives. And because we have and will have so many guys now, DH will likely not be possible with those 4 all occupying the same roster. Unless you want to bench Westburg because you think Mayo is a better 3B? Or move Westburg to 2B and do what with Holliday?

Then we'll have the best catching Tandem in baseball and a replacement for Adley when he walks in a couple years.

50 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Miller's also worth a lot less to the A's unless they convert him back to starter, and they may prefer to rebuild with position players, who have less volatility than pitchers.

edit to add: Miller's also got a long injury history, including missing a season due to a shoulder strain, and missing some time last year because of an elbow injury.

To me it isn't so much how much value he has to the A's as a player but what other packages they could get from another team.

I agree that he's better utilized as a means to gather additional assets.

Posted (edited)

Anyone know of an active Oakland fansite?  Might be hard to find one right now with the whole nightmare of them leaving Oakland.  I would love for someone to go ask their fans what they thought of our trade ideas.  

https://forums.bettoringreen.com/index.php?/topic/8554-a-trade-idea-from-baltimore/

I found some Oakland site.  No idea how active it is and if anyone will respond.

I think maybe its a defunct fantasy site.  I think I was confused.  Oh well.

Edited by Gurgi

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

"Empty the farm" uh no. Loosing Basallo doesn't empty the farm here. AND we have so many young positional players already at the big league level (something Buck/Dan and maybe no other MLB team has had before).

We are literally so overloaded with position player talent that there is no place to get a highly related 25 year old MLB prospect like Kjerstad ABs right now because the team is so good. And Mayo and Holliday (2 top 20/25ish prospects are still at AAA) and we have the luxury of taking our time with them.

Yes Miller will inevitably get hurt at some point. But this season he is likely to be the most dominant reliever in the game. Our only weakness, roster hole is at closer. Mason Miller makes us the best team in baseball bar none and the odds on World Series favorite.

Yeah, I get it,its not an according to Hoyle emptying of the Farm, but everything starts somewhere and Basallo would be a big start. All though I do agree he would be a great addition. 

Edited by Safelykept

First response over there is that Miller is still very much thought of as a starter and that a trade would be more than Basallo and Miller would likely be their shinny ace when they opened in Las Vegas.