What is your takeaway from the Yankees series?

50 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

My take away is the Yankees are who I thought they were. They are a team with an excellent pitching staff, but a very inconsistent (feast or famine) offense. 

Their lineup lacks depth and is very top heavy - first five good, last four not so much. 

I will say that another couple of things that stood out to me are:

1) How bad Judge looks now. I don’t ever remember him having a prolonged month-long slump like this before. That is easily probably the worse series that he has had against us.

2) Another thing that stood out to me is how unafraid/unimpressed that our guys seemed to be going up against them. I think the Orioles to a man know they have the superior team.

Overall, the Yankees have a good playoff caliber team that should win in the low to mid 90’s and qualify for a wildcard birth. I just think the Orioles are a 100+ win team. The big differences between the two teams are - defense, depth, and athleticism.

And payroll.

52 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I wasn't real impressed with their lineup before the series and I'm not real impressed afterwards.

Soto and Judge are very good (I'm pretty confident Judge will get it going).  The rest are either washed up or middling young guys.

The pitching staff and BP in particular are very good.

Their defense was a mess this series but could just be a fluke.

I think the O's are better top to bottom but the Yankees pitching is very good and they'll make a good run at it just because of that.

Yea I could see the Yankees being dangerous in a series if Soto and Judge are hot and Cole is back pitching like he can.  That bullpen is tough if they have a lead.

But they need a lot to go right imo. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if they missed the playoffs although I would pencil them in as of today.

It’s dangerous to extrapolate much from one series.  If the Yankees stay healthy they’ll win 90+ games and force us to get to the high 90’s if we want to win the division.   Their starting pitching is decent and their bullpen as always is very good.  Death, taxes and a good Yankee bullpen.  

The offense wasn’t scary and we’ll see if it stays that way.  I think Torres is a big key to their season.  He’s at .569 OPS and at 27 years old there’s no reason he should suddenly be taking a 200 point OPS dive.  If he gets back to normal and Judge heats up, they’re suddenly much more dangerous on offense.  

I’m glad we took 3 of 4 and finished the series in first place, but there’s miles to go and the season will take many twists and turns.  

• Upvote 1

I think the Orioles are the more well rounded team.  Better defense, a lineup that’s deeper 1-9, better base running and when Rodriguez returns, a very good rotation that will force some good starters into the bullpen.  For now, at least, the O’s are a better team.

My first thought is that I’m looking forward to how much worse Giancarlo Stanton can get while playing out that contract. Hopefully Judge isn’t too far behind him though I expect he’s got a couple years left before he falls like that. 

Yankee lineup not impressed. They really need that Dominguez kid to come back and rake, and for Judge to get it going.  I wonder if they’ll give that Spencer Jones kid a shot soon  

Pitching though, looks pretty good to me. If Gil pitches decent ( he sure did against us) and Cortes maintains, they’ll be OK on that front. They also always make a trade or two. 

The Os should be the favorites in the East, but nationally they won’t be for a while. It will take a long time for people to stop assuming the Yanks are going to either catch us, or that we won’t catch them, depending on the standings at any given time. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

My first thought is that I’m looking forward to how much worse Giancarlo Stanton can get while playing out that contract. Hopefully Judge isn’t too far behind him though I expect he’s got a couple years left before he falls like that. 

Yankee lineup not impressed. They really need that Dominguez kid to come back and rake, and for Judge to get it going.  I wonder if they’ll give that Spencer Jones kid a shot soon  

Pitching though, looks pretty good to me. If Gil pitches decent ( he sure did against us) and Cortes maintains, they’ll be OK on that front. They also always make a trade or two. 

The Os should be the favorites in the East, but nationally they won’t be for a while. It will take a long time for people to stop assuming the Yanks are going to either catch us, or that we won’t catch them, depending on the standings at any given time. 

Stanton definitely defines the difference in these 2 teams. He is not even doing his best impression of Miggy or Albert at the second half of their SH contacts, How bout this since his second year (2019) with the Yankees he has made over 135 Million while putting up putting up 4.1 WAR (BBREF). In the meantime one of our favorite whipping boys Dean Kremer, in one year less has put up 3.6 WAR while costing slightly more 2 Million    

• Upvote 1

I agree, I watched every game, and the Yankees look downright weak. Rodon is one of the most overpriced/overrated pitchers in baseball. Stanton might be the slowest person in professional sports and he swings at garbage. Judge hasn't been the same since he injured his toe. Rizzo is bleh. I am not scared of them whatsoever. 

As far as us, I feel way more confident about our starting pitching, particularly with Bradish looking strong. Kremer might end up having a great year. Our bullpen too. And damn do we have some hitters. 

I feel damn good about our chances at winning the division.

My takeaway is about payroll and all the suffering we've endured.  

Mike, Sig, and Eve have the best plan, even when you have deep pockets, which we might now.  

My other take away is closers are still undervalued, I remember what it felt like when Britton pitched in 2016 and last year (and hopefully next year) with Bautista.  

In other words, Shorten the game, and don't sign huge long term contacts that will ultimately force you to play guys who are ready for the broadcast booth.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

I agree, I watched every game, and the Yankees look downright weak. Rodon is one of the most overpriced/overrated pitchers in baseball. Stanton might be the slowest person in professional sports and he swings at garbage. Judge hasn't been the same since he injured his toe. Rizzo is bleh. I am not scared of them whatsoever. 

As far as us, I feel way more confident about our starting pitching, particularly with Bradish looking strong. Kremer might end up having a great year. Our bullpen too. And damn do we have some hitters. 

I feel damn good about our chances at winning the division.

Rodon was a weird one. He was throwing 98 with a good breaking ball the first couple of innings and I thought we were in for some serious trouble. I think we'd take that from one of our LH SPs any day. 

But then... he started laying up high-velo meatballs down the middle for some reason. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, AlbNYfan said:

And payroll.

The payroll didn’t stand out to me during the series. And it’s not something that I generally pay attention during the season.

Most good teams tend to have a higher payroll. And ours will increase dramatically soon.

I actually tend to root for all players to get paid (regardless of team). They have such a limited window to make generation(s) transforming kind of money. And if the players don’t get it, then it goes back into the owners’ billionaire pockets. I’m certainly not rooting for that!

2 - 0   4 - 2   2 - 0  7 - 2  

All cept the last very close. Going to be a year long battle with injuries playing a role as we go. Hope the latter impacts The Evil Empire more than us. We pitched well all series. They almost did. Our defense is better by a long shot. Stanton is coming close to being their Chris Davis. Judge is potentially a beast but I'm betting players his size don't age well (see Stanton) over a 162 game season with the demands put on baseball players. And particularly New York demands. Let's see how we do in their house. 

I think they’re a good team and I don’t think this was all that one sided of a series.  A couple of those hard hit balls vs Kremer don’t find gloves, and a few of those dinks off Nestor don’t find holes, and could have been a different story. 

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Judge is gonna turn it around. Cole is coming back. They’ll undoubtedly make a big move by the deadline. The Yankees won’t be going anywhere. It was good to get 3 out of 4 while they're not firing on all cylinders. 

Orioles bullpen is very shaky. I can’t predict a division title unless some changes happen.

We are the better team with the much better trade chips/minor league pieces. Any move they can make we can counter and then some!