On MLB just now the host were asking what should Baltimore give up to get Miller from the A's

Gurgi

54 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That’s a joke of an offer for Miller.   Potential long term answer at catcher?   Mordan is a 20 yo DH, who catches, and has a sub .700 OPS in low A.  Stowers is a 26 yo AAAA outfielder hitting .250 in AAA.   Norby is a decent hitting prospect without a true position.

That’s an embarrassing offer.

The OH classic trade offer, whatever players the poster doesn't want around anymore.

If I'm the A's, I hold on to Miller until near the trade deadline and drive up the asking price among interested teams as high as possible...

The A's are still a losing team.  Yes, they have exceeded expectations this year, but to me they still look like a losing team (except when they play the Orioles, for some reason!).   An All-Star closer is fairly pointless on a losing team.  Although they have him under control for 5 years, they don't figure to be a playoff team for a few years and by the time they sniff the playoffs, he'll be gone.

If I'm the O's, I offer Kjerstad and a lesser prospect and try to see if I can pry him away now before the asking price totally skyrockets....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The OH classic trade offer, whatever players the poster doesn't want around anymore.

Right.  Miller is the best closer in baseball right now.  He has 6 years of service time.  He has injury risk.   If we had him no one would even want to trade him and if someone from another fan board made that offer there would be mass hysteria.

If you have bases loaded and no outs and Miller comes in the game you don’t expect to score.  That’s how good he looks right now.

41 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Production. Production. Stuff/ability matters and there are more ways up the mountain than  throwing that hard. Yes, it’s rare. Yes it’s elite but there are other guys who deliver similar production that won’t cost as much. Danny is one of those guys. He doesn’t throw 103 but he produces in a similar way. I’m of the opinion that Suarez can do the same. Does he have the same “flash” at 103? No, but will he produce similar results? Absolutely. Movement is just as effective as blowing it by guys. I agree Miller’s command of 103 is incredible.

And as we saw with Felix, when you throw that hard for that long, it’s generally not sustainable for long periods of time. When you combine having diabetes as well, well, there’s just a lot to consider there especially knowing you are getting Felix back next year. So I’m trusting that there is a similar guy out there that our scouts have zero’d in on that will deliver the piece we need to be a championship team. 

While Miller is great, the only reason folks are clamoring for him and him alone is because that’s where the focus is now. Turn your focus on other players and you’ll be surprised at what you see, which is similar production.

First of all, I am not advocating (nor have I ever advocated) for a “Miller or bust approach”. Yet, I do recognize his special ability and I can envision him being a tremendous asset to this team.

Second, to say Coloumbe has similar production as Miller is simply not true. Look at the WHIP, strikeouts per 9, ERA, hard contact, etc. They are not in the same class. 

I’m not sure if you unintentionally devaluing Mullers K number, but they are astounding 2/3 of his outs are coming on K’s. That is an absolute gold mine of an asset when you get to extra innings with the ghost runner.

Next, I can envision a tremendous competitive advantage that we would have next season or in future seasons when we would be able to pair Bautista and Miller. That is worth considering parting with one of our better but replaceable prospects.

Last, I have never “clamored for him and him alone”. And as  far as your directive to turn my attention elsewhere, I’m probably not the best poster when it comes to following orders/commands…lol

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

First of all, I am not advocating (nor have I ever advocated) for a “Miller or bust approach”. Yet, I do recognize his special ability and I can envision him being a tremendous asset to this team.

Second, to say Coloumbe has similar production as Miller is simply not true. Look at the WHIP, strikeouts per 9, ERA, hard contact, etc. They are not in the same class. 

I’m not sure if you unintentionally devaluing Mullers K number, but they are astounding 2/3 of his outs are coming on K’s. That is an absolute gold mine of an asset when you get to extra innings with the ghost runner.

Next, I can envision a tremendous competitive advantage that we would have next season or in future seasons when we would be able to pair Bautista and Miller. That is worth considering parting with one of our better but replaceable prospects.

Last, I have never “clamored for him and him alone”. And as  far as your directive to turn my attention elsewhere, I’m probably not the best poster when it comes to following orders/commands…lol

We agree to disagree my friend. Not sure about the following orders comment. That’s a bit strange but all good my friend. Miller is a special player for sure. That we can both agree on, alright? 

The draft of course is hit or miss, but it kinda stinks that Elias spent on $1,375,000 on John Rhodes 21 picks before the A's spent $599,000 on Miller. Oh well, it happens, but I wonder if that's why he went more pitchers this past draft. 

High Heat on MLB just now is talking about the Orioles and Kimbrel and Miller.  They say NO MATTER WHAT Baltimore can not depend on Kimbrel to save games in the playoffs.

The dude who managed the American team in the last WBC was saying Oakland would want a stud for when they opened the Vegas stadium.  He was saying maybe Oakland would want some mega prospect in low A ball.  

This is kind of confusing to me.  Also do the Orioles even have a mega star in Low A ball?  Basallo is the best guy we have a long way from the majors and he is in AA already.  

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

High Heat on MLB just now is talking about the Orioles and Kimbrel and Miller.  They say NO MATTER WHAT Baltimore can not depend on Kimbrel to save games in the playoffs.

The dude who managed the American team in the last WBC was saying Oakland would want a stud for when they opened the Vegas stadium.  He was saying maybe Oakland would want some mega prospect in low A ball.  

This is kind of confusing to me.  Also do the Orioles even have a mega star in Low A ball?  Basallo is the best guy we have a long way from the majors and he is in AA already.  

Luis De Leon is the only guy you could conceivably call a future star on the Shorebirds. 

So yeah, I think Basallo is probably the closest fit to what High Heat guy is talking about. Don't see that happening, and I don't see the A's trading Miller anyway. 

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I've thought about him as Cowser competition too, but he got MLB IL time and is far above 45 days of service.    I'm not sure how the CBA classifies him for the incentives.

I think if the season ended today he'd beat Cowser easy in the voting, if he is in the race.

He is in the race and he is the overall favorite by the odds makers in the AL currently.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the Pirates don't make the playoffs I could see Elias targeting David Bednar for a package of prospects.      

If Bednar can lower his 9.69 ERA by then it’s a possibility.

Bednar would be the Elias move I'd expect if his perception/numbers are still a bit shaky by the time he's traded. He still has a lot of swing and misses, he's just been barreled at an alarming rate.

Saw a clip of Foul Territory on X where they discuss the possibility of Helsley to the O’s if the Cardinals decide to sell. Rosenthal mentioned that they discussed that topic more on Fair Territory earlier but I couldn’t find the clip. Anyone happen to see it/find it? 

4 hours ago, DocJJ said:

If I'm the A's, I hold on to Miller until near the trade deadline and drive up the asking price among interested teams as high as possible...

The A's are still a losing team.  Yes, they have exceeded expectations this year, but to me they still look like a losing team (except when they play the Orioles, for some reason!).   An All-Star closer is fairly pointless on a losing team.  Although they have him under control for 5 years, they don't figure to be a playoff team for a few years and by the time they sniff the playoffs, he'll be gone.

If I'm the O's, I offer Kjerstad and a lesser prospect and try to see if I can pry him away now before the asking price totally skyrockets....

It’s not a mysterious reason why the A’s beat us 2 out of 3….. Craig Kimbrel blew both games (which we have seen, he is kind of prone to doing that.)

I agree though in your assessment of the A’s overall. They are a bad team being buffeted by a very good bullpen that allows them to do better than they otherwise would.

I hope that Kjerstad could land Miller. But as you said, they are a few years away. Kjerstad is now already 25. I’m not sure that he is the kind of player that they will be looking for to target that matches their team trajectory.