On MLB just now the host were asking what should Baltimore give up to get Miller from the A's

Gurgi

Miller looks as good as Bautista did last year.  His peripherals and my eyes tell me that his success is no fluke.  Oakland is willing to trade him but there will be a lot of suitors and Oakland will hold out for a strong return.   I think we should expect to pay a lot, and I think we should be willing to pay a lot. considering that he could be a difference maker in October.   I'd be willing to give up Kjerstad as the main piece and a couple of other good pieces.   

Tonight on a segment with Harold Reynolds and two other guys they again brought up Kimbrel is toast.  They said Baltimore has tons of prospects to give for Miller.  They even threw Jackson Holliday  in the list along with Basallo, Mayo, Kjerstad and Bradfield.  

I know they need to fill time but their ruminations are annoying me.  Reynolds at least says no to Jackson Holliday.  

Frankly I would do almost anything before I give away Holliday, Mayo or Basallo.  Honestly I would use Wells, Povich, Kremer at closer before I would give away one of those three.  

Kjerstad or Bradfield sure.  Maybe a lesser guy or two.  

If Kimbrel can not figure this out we will be hearing this kind of crap all the way to the trade deadline.  So get ready.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In his latest article, Rosenthal mentioned that baseball trade values says it would need to be Mayo and Bradfield for Miller 

Hard no.  Put Kremer and let him see if he can do the job.  David did slay Goliath.

Just watched Mayo in an interview.  He says he isnt worried about heat.  He likes it.  Never heard a guy so sure he can hit anyone's fastball.  He was pissed he did not face that Pittsburgh guy that just got called up.  He fills out the uniform too damn good for me to let him go.  

Miller probably gets a Tommy John in a year or two.  They all do.

Edited by Gurgi

MLB Trade Rumors on Mason Miller's prospect of being traded.

Mason Miller Drawing Trade Attention

The A’s are receiving early trade calls on closer Mason Miller, writes Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic. While the team is at least broadly open to discussions, Rosenthal reports that no one has come close to what is understandably a huge ask.

Miller has been one of the league’s breakout players in 2024. It certainly didn’t come out of nowhere — he has been widely regarded as a Top 100 prospect in each of the last two years — but the second-year righty is already one of the best relievers in the game. Miller gave up two runs in his first appearance of the season against the Guardians. He hasn’t been scored on in 12 games since, and that understates his dominance.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Trading Easton Lucas for Fuji was not a gamble.

The gamble was that we could take an undervalued/underperforming player a who was cheap and turn him into a valuable piece to help our bullpen.

We could have chosen an actual good player who was performing well at the time, who would have probably cost more. But we chose the “fixer upper” route, believing we could fix Fuji’s flaws.

I just hope this go around that the front office is prioritizes more performance certainty even if it comes at a different price point (salary and/or trade assets).

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

In his latest article, Rosenthal mentioned that baseball trade values says it would need to be Mayo and Bradfield for Miller 

I believe while painful, if we had to lose Mayo we would still be fine in the long run. But I would have to offer another young outfielder in place of Bradfield Jr. We only have one player with that sort of skill set to eventually replace Mullins. I know that Bradfield has his flaws/things that he needs to develop/work on. But in the post shift era/pitch clock/limited throws to first base era, I believe speed is an extremely valuable asset (especially the kind of rare speed that Bradfield has).

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

The gamble was that we could take an undervalued/underperforming player a who was cheap and turn him into a valuable piece to help our bullpen.

We could have chosen an actual good player who was performing well at the time, who would have probably cost more. But we chose the “fixer upper” route, believing we could fix Fuji’s flaws.

I just hope this go around that the front office is prioritizes more performance certainty even if it comes at a different price point (salary and/or trade assets).

Ok. Fuji was a gamble the same way Jacob Webb, Cionel Perez, Yohan Ramirez, and Danny Coulombe were gambles.  We gave up nothing or something minimal and took a shot.  

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I believe while painful, if we had to lose Mayo we would still be fine in the long run. But I would have to offer another young outfielder in place of Bradfield Jr. We only have one player with that sort of skill set to eventually replace Mullins. I know that Bradfield has his flaws/things that he needs to develop/work on. But in the post shift era/pitch clock/limited throws to first base era, I believe speed is an extremely valuable asset (especially the kind of rare speed that Bradfield has).

It is kind of funny that you’re ok giving up Mayo but Enrique Bradfield would hold up a Mason Miller deal. 

I saw some of that segment too - Reynolds offered the observation he thought inability to land the curve was some of Kimbrel's struggle to his eye.

They did spin the Rosenthal piece as if it was an Oakland intention announcement to the league, but it was a getaway day Thursday night.

All 30 GM's know the injury risk, and I don't believe Forst will prioritize saving him for Las Vegas.     The in a few years Las Vegas A's are I think basically Elias with the 2019 Orioles - it is going to be a while, so I think they will prefer De Leon to Norby, etc.

Some pundits thought they overpaid for Esteury Ruiz, over leaning into the need for speed in a big outfield, which does make one wonder if they might look at EBJ favorably.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You don’t trade Mayo for a reliever with his injury profile. It’s an awful idea.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. Fuji was a gamble the same way Jacob Webb, Cionel Perez, Yohan Ramirez, and Danny Coulombe were gambles.  We gave up nothing or something minimal and took a shot.  

That is true. The org has been incredibly successful with finding bullpen pieces from the scrap heap. Maybe none is a better example than the name that you left out, Yenier Cano. 

However, the reasonable expectations have shifted now. We have a legit shot at the WS this season and there is only really one team who stands reason to challenge us in the AL, the Yankees. And we only have one hole on this team - closer. 

It doesn’t take being a rocker scientist (like Sig) to understand that if we get into a bullpen battle game with the Yankees in October, right now we will be undermanned. Does anybody trust Kimbrel to save a game in Yankee stadium in the postseason?

It makes no sense given those factors to not raise the floor of the performance of the back end of the bullpen and acquire a more reasonable steady piece, IMO.

That doesn’t have to be Mason Miller but it should be a player who is performing well… not a volatile/maybe acquisition like Fuji. IMO there is too much variance in acquisition like which IMO represents unnecessary risk.