On the record Poll: Hays or McKenna (Update: McKenna DFA'd (Claimed by Giants), Hays activated)

Tony-OH

On the record Poll: Hays or McKenna (Update: McKenna DFA'd (Claimed by Giants), Hays activated)  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Hays or McKenna on the team this year?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/24 at 20:09

Fun fact: McKenna now has the right to reject an assignment if unclaimed. From MLBTR:

He went unclaimed on outright waivers at the end of March, and in doing so gained the right to reject any additional outright assignments for the remainder of his career. As such, if he clears waivers, he’ll have the right to reject a minor league assignment in favor of free agency. Given the glut of outfield talent on the Baltimore roster, it’s possible he’d prefer to latch on with another organization that has far less depth and thus a better opportunity for him to get an earnest look at the big league level.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I hope Hays doesn't get significant playing time.

I hope Hays' playing time correlates to his playing ability. Play him when he's hot, ride pine during the slumps.

27 minutes ago, Malike said:

Pretty sure he won't opt for FA. He'll play in Norfolk.

If he clears total waivers again and is still unwanted by any MLB team, I kind of wonder if he'll break out the old Japanese and Korean phrase books and start practicing up.  Always seems to be an option for AAA.9999999 players. 

31 minutes ago, Malike said:

Pretty sure he won't opt for FA. He'll play in Norfolk.

Maybe. I guess it depends on if his agent thinks they'll have enough offers to join another minor league team. And if not, the O's can just resign him.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Maybe. I guess it depends on if his agent thinks they'll have enough offers to join another minor league team. And if not, the O's can just resign him.

Yeah, but his agent knows the O's will inevitably bring him up again at some point lol.

5 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

If he clears total waivers again and is still unwanted by any MLB team, I kind of wonder if he'll break out the old Japanese and Korean phrase books and start practicing up.  Always seems to be an option for AAA.9999999 players. 

It's a long way away from home, but he'd probably be an above-average hitter in those leagues.

44 minutes ago, interloper said:

If he does it will be like when I have to hide the tennis ball in the closest from my dog. It's the only way he'll stop obsessing over it. Elias might need to have his ball taken away.

McKenna would have to be sent to Korea to hide him from Elias.

Just now, Malike said:

It's a long way away from home, but he'd probably be an above-average hitter in those leagues.

I would sort of love this for him. He'd be more than capable over there I think. 

Just now, interloper said:

I would sort of love this for him. He'd be more than capable over there I think. 

He's young enough to spend a couple of years there and possibly find a path back to the MLB.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Who does he have a better chance to play in the majors with this year?  If he goes unclaimed that means no other team wants him right now.   He can go to the minors for one of those teams or go to Norfolk for the one team in baseball who wants him on their 26-man roster, sometimes.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Who does he have a better chance to play in the majors with this year?  If he goes unclaimed that means no other team wants him right now.   He can go to the minors for one of those teams or go to Norfolk for the one team in baseball who wants him on their 26-man roster, sometimes.

Sure, but the landscape could be a lot different than the last time he was DFA'd. Teams have injuries or different needs, etc. 

But yeah, it's most likely he accepts an assignment.