Are we willing to admit how good our rotation is yet?

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I'd still add a starter if the price is right. IMO the priority is a closer, but that might be expensive. 

We already have to move someone to the the when Grayson comes back. And dda someone (or option akin). Who are the two starters you’re moving to the pen, who are you dfa’ing, and how much are you willing to give up since it would have to be significant to be an upgrade on what we have throwing so far?

by the trade deadline, it may make sense. But trading for a starter now doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I'd still add a starter if the price is right. IMO the priority is a closer, but that might be expensive. 

Closer is the only realistic piece that I can see keeping us from a World Series. This is year 3 for Adley. Year 2 for Gunnar, Westburg, and Grayson. And maybe Burnes only year with us.

With this type of team and talent, the realistic goal is World Series. IMO it would have to be a heck of a steep price for it to be considered “too high” at this point.

Even if we extend our best young players, we are still going to have a limited amount of opportunities. We can no longer afford to punt on the present for the sake of the possible/later/future IMO. The rings/banners/trophies/championships are why these guys play this game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Closer is the only realistic piece that I can see keeping us from a World Series. This is year 3 for Adley. Year 2 for Gunnar, Westburg, and Grayson. And maybe Burnes only year with us.

With this type of team and talent, the realistic goal is World Series. IMO it would have to be a heck of a steep price for it to be considered “too high” at this point.

Even if we extend our best young players, we are still going to have a limited amount of opportunities. We can no longer afford to punt on the present for the sake of the possible/later/future IMO. The rings/banners/trophies/championships are why these guys play this game.

True. The window is open, it was opened last season, it will still be open for a few years, but it won't be open forever. This organization had better do what it takes to extract a couple of WS out of this group, like the Astros did, because they will be gone and a new cycle will need to start.

We have Corbin Burnes now. We might not have him next season. We need stack the odds in our favor as best we can to maximize the competitive edge he has given to our baseball team by suring up any areas of weaknesses and improving areas that are just average.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

We have Corbin Burnes now. We might not have him next season. We need stack the odds in our favor as best we can to maximize the competitive edge he has given to our baseball team by suring up any areas of weaknesses and improving areas that are just average.

I’m not up on contracts, but Means is a free agent after this season as well, right? No idea about Irvin. Pretty sure we have a decent amount of control left over Bradish and Kremer. I know we have a ways to go with Grayson. So the rotation could look very different next year. Hopefully Povich is up for it. I’d try to find a way to call him up this year, even if out of the bullpen. He’s gotta start facing MLB hitters this year if he’s going to slot into the rotation next year IMO. 

But, like the rest of our team, I think the rotation today is quite good, and still not as good as it’s going to be later into the summer. I look forward to everyone’s turn now to see what they’ll accomplish next. 

9 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

True. The window is open, it was opened last season, it will still be open for a few years, but it won't be open forever. This organization had better do what it takes to extract a couple of WS out of this group, like the Astros did, because they will be gone and a new cycle will need to start.

I believe that Rubenstein is a very smart guy, has great people around him, is a very good business good businessman having amassed billions, is from the area (which brings about it's own understanding) AND is/has been a fan of the team all his life.

With the combination of all those things, I believe that it is likely that he wants the Orioles to succeed very much and win a World Series (he even stated as much in one of his first public statements as owner). I also believe that he is interested in increasing his viability within this market. He has eyes and can see all the #2 and #35 shirts in the stands. You can't allow all/most of your superstar guys/franchise players/faces of the franchise to walk and grow your fanbase. 

Extensions PLUS good drafting and developing PLUS a good international program is what will keep us from being limited to a 6/7 year window.

But having said all that, you can't get these years back when you are the best/one of the best teams either (like we are this year). IMO we cannot afford to punt opportunities that are this good in the present for chances of promise that may never come in the future.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You forgot the money.

You are right. But I left that unstated because I figured most people inherently understand that we all employed to earn money. No matter how much, most people want to make the most that they are able to. 

This rotation has a chance to be special. I’m always thinking slightly negative though so I worry about Bradish and Means health, and can Irvin continue? With Irvin it’s less of a concern because they could put him in the bullpen, but with injuries I think he will be needed.