This offensive style is not sustainable

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I tend to think that OPSing 1.132 in AAA is about as much as a guy can do to force himself onto a roster. Without a barrel of East German Oral-Turinabol, that is.

Eh, gotta produce when you get ABs in the MLB. No excuses. He’s had 16 more ABs than Jackson Holliday. You can’t be a bat carrying prospect and not hit. You’re a historian… David Newhan and Howie Clark hit the ground running.

Keep in mind I like Heston Kjerstad and his story. But he’s gotta produce. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Eh, gotta produce when you get ABs in the MLB. No excuses. He’s had 16 more ABs than Jackson Holliday. You can’t be a bat carrying prospect and not hit. You’re a historian… David Newhan and Howie Clark hit the ground running. 

The Orioles' front office knows as well as anyone that performance across 44 sporadic at bats, including seven as a pinch hitter, is mostly random and borderline meaningless. His .649 career MLB OPS adds almost nothing to our body of knowledge of Heston Kjerstad.

Cal Ripken started his career 12-for-99. But the O's knew he could play and stuck with him.

David Newhan is the poster boy for how even a .690 OPS player can play out of his mind for a month, or the other way around.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

Player A is struggling and you’re paying him $6 mm because he’s been a solid player for your team for several years.

Player B is struggling and you’re paying him the major league minimum and can easily option him back to the minors without disrupting the clubhouse.  

Those two players are not going to be treated the same.  Player A will get lots of opportunities to get out of his struggles, Player B will be back in the minors working on his stuff there and hoping he gets another chance.  

That’s the real world.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No doubt but even against bad teams, you can continue bad habits.

True.  I hope to see more games with an approach like tonight’s.  Positive reinforcement!

12 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Orioles' front office knows as well as anyone that performance across 44 sporadic at bats, including seven as a pinch hitter, is mostly random and borderline meaningless. His .649 career MLB OPS adds almost nothing to our body of knowledge of Heston Kjerstad.

Cal Ripken started his career 12-for-99. But the O's knew he could play and stuck with him.

David Newhan is the poster boy for how even a .690 OPS player can play out of his mind for a month, or the other way around.

For long-time O's fans, Curtis Goodwin and Chito Martinez are on that poster as well.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Helps to play a crappy team. 

I'm hoping that doing so gets them in the right mind frame going forward. We'll see though. We've seen them look like 2023 before and then revert to bad approach. 

Santander and Adley still didn't look great, IMO. The homer was nice. Adley had a couple bloop hits I believe. Cowser's 0-5 was better than the boxscore suggests - he hit some balls hard. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm hoping that doing so gets them in the right mind frame going forward. We'll see though. We've seen them look like 2023 before and then revert to bad approach. 

Santander and Adley still didn't look great, IMO. The homer was nice. Adley had a couple bloop hits I believe. Cowser's 0-5 was better than the boxscore suggests - he hit some balls hard. 

Adley had a single that short-hopped the wall.  The OF almost made a play on it but it was a work-struck ball, 105.3 off the bat with an .840 xBA.  Nothing cheap there.  

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Adley had a single that short-hopped the wall.  The OF almost made a play on it but it was a work-struck ball, 105.3 off the bat with an .840 xBA.  Nothing cheap there.  

Right, good call. 

I just need Adley to walk more, man. It really changes the offense when he does. I think I'm more inclined to wave off bad approaches from other hitters, but with Adley it really makes me question the coaching staff because I assume Adley can just start walking again at any time since he's that good. I know he's having a good offensive year, but... just doesn't feel right! 

Edited by interloper

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Player A is struggling and you’re paying him $6 mm because he’s been a solid player for your team for several years.

Player B is struggling and you’re paying him the major league minimum and can easily option him back to the minors without disrupting the clubhouse.  

Those two players are not going to be treated the same.  Player A will get lots of opportunities to get out of his struggles, Player B will be back in the minors working on his stuff there and hoping he gets another chance.  

That’s the real world.  

And it needs to be the real world as well.  If you send a message to your players that have proven themselves in the MLB that the second they struggle they could be jettisoned, you are not going to get the performance that you desire from them as they will be constantly looking over their shoulders.  Moreover, you will sour the entire clubhouse.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where do you find this type of info? Sounds like an interesting source.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right, good call. 

I just need Adley to walk more, man. It really changes the offense when he does. I think I'm more inclined to wave off bad approaches from other hitters, but with Adley it really makes me question the coaching staff. I know Adley's having a good offensive year, but... just doesn't feel right! 

He needs to find a happy medium.  It’s kind of like Gunnar.  He had a 19.8% walk rate and a .340 OBP his first 33 games of last year, but his OPS sucked.  Then he got more aggressive and his OPS went way up but his walk rate dropped to 6.3% and his OBP to .321 the rest of the year.   This year he’s found a happy medium at a 10.6% walk rate and his OBP and OPS are both up.  He’s got the right balance between aggression and not swinging at pitchers’ pitches.  Adley is still trying to find the right balance IMO, though he’s still been plenty productive both in his “passive” version and his “aggressive” version.  I think the in-between version will be the most productive.   And I think he’ll find that eventually.