Baumann DFA

ChipTait

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Big picture - there has been a lot of concern expressed on this board that Elias will hoard marginal players like McKenna and Bauman at the expense of team competitiveness. Whether or not you agree on the specifics of the move, it should assuage any such hoarding concerns.

I think Baumann is the better pitcher than Perez...I guess they need the lefty..but Baumann, when he's decent can go extended innings too...I hope he clears waivers,,,but he wont be. He might even start for someone someday...

11 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think Baumann is the better pitcher than Perez...I guess they need the lefty..but Baumann, when he's decent can go extended innings too...I hope he clears waivers,,,but he wont be.

He might even start for someone someday...

The Syracuse Chiefs?  Las Vegas Aces?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Elias might already have a trade in works. He might have had a few teams agree to preliminary trade parameters for Baumann, then use the 10 days to construct the best small trade through minor negotiations

I agree with you. I believe there is a trade being worked out that involves Baumann plus other pieces. I hate to lose our youth, but I’m sadly prepping for it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Litmus test - do you wish Baumann on the Mariners for their Yankees series next week?

In Brash and Santos they have a couple power RH RP they hoped to have that they don't have going into the middle of the season.

PitchingBot's ERA estimator pegs 2024 Baumann a 4.25 guy - the Mariners present active roster has Kirby Snead and Gabe Speier worse than that.     Austin Voth is better.

I believe at any instant in the DFA period a club can offer some little something and Elias can say okay at a moment's notice.

Last 14 Days - the worst team ERA's as RP are TEX-MIN-KCR-OAK-PIT

To @Warehouse's point about flimsy peripherals, Fangraphs Last 14 Days RP split also has the fun fact that BAL has the 3rd worst fWAR.     BAL's 2.09 ERA is Top 5 MLB-wide in that same span.

Edited by Just Regular

The Orioles ae trying to win a World Series and I guess they've finally decided that they are not going burn an option on a better pitcher just not to lose their 8th best reliever.

Baumann is such an inconsistent pitcher, but I don't think there is any chance he makes it through waivers. Saying that, it's the evolution of a winning team that you have to start "sacrificing" serviceable, but inconsistent pitchers/players to move forward.

Baumann may have a good year in him somewhere, but he's just so inconsistent that I don't know how anyone can use him consistently in anything other than a mop up role.

• Upvote 2

“Our long national nightmare is over.”

On to the next one!

Baumann will be claimed by the white Sox or Rockies…but while with a terrible team, he’ll get a WS ring when we win.

Hows that for Schadenfreude?

53 minutes ago, Malike said:

Mike Baumann 2024 thread - Baumann must go (Many OH posters)

Mike Baumann DFA thread - I don't understand why they let Baumann go. (Many OH posters)

If this were a perfect team with no losses, there’d be a thread complaining about the dearth of no-hitters.

Its who we are.

The Orioles have plenty of 8th reliever candidates anyways. 

Jonathan Heasley (0.60, 0.73 WHIP) and Dillon Tate (3.60, 0.80 WHIP) are on the 40-man while Kade Strowd (3.00, 0.67 WHIP) may have the best stuff of the three.

And that's not even considering the Chayce McDermott could still be an option in the pen this year though I think they'd use the other ones first and keep him starting in AAA.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Honestly very surprised they didn't use Akin's option.

I don't understand that either?   Baumann has a 3.44 ERA and won 10 games last year, he definitely will not clear waivers. He could go to the Yankees!

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

I disagree. 2023-2024 Baumann stats:

3.69 ERA, 4.41 FIP, 4.77 xFIP, 4.48 SIERA, 4.90 xERA

That paints a clear picture of a 4.50 ERA guy to me. I trust the peripherals, especially when it comes to relievers where ERA is very noisy.

Career ERA 4.45. Career FIP 4.46.

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I don't understand that either?   Baumann has a 3.44 ERA and won 10 games last year, he definitely will not clear waivers. He could go to the Yankees!

His underlying metrics don't really support that he's a mid-3.00s ERA pitcher. Last year his xERA was 5.37.

The 10 wins mean almost nothing besides he was the type/quality of pitcher that the O's brought in somewhere between the 5th and the 8th inning of games they were tied or losing. And then the O's immediately scored some runs.

Not that I'm anti-Baumann, but most teams have 3, 5, 6 or more guys like this, and with the roster crunch someone had to go.

Just now, Sydnor said:

We all forget these guys are real people.  All these guys seem very close which I think makes them a little better.  I am sure this is tough on them as people.  Baumann has too good of stuff not to get picked up.  He is the type of player that the Orioles have picked up in the last few years and had success with.  I won’t be shocked if he ends up having success somewhere else.  

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Baumann is not good at pitching.  Not a loss.  Even when he throws strikes, his FB is straight as an arrow and gets absolute crushed.  He has the deer in headlights look at all times.  I gave up hope on him a long time ago.  

Baumann’s ERA+ last year was 108. This year it was 109. League average is 100. That paints the picture of a slightly above average pitcher not someone who is “not good at pitching.”

Do I think losing him is the end of the world? Certainly not. Do I think he is “not good at pitching?” Certainly not.

I will miss My Hero playing when he enters the game, but realistically, there are other guys in the system that can provide similar performance.

• Upvote 2