Baumann DFA

ChipTait

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

The numbers the past two years back me up.

Never said he's awesome, but the issue is the 6 man rotation and covering innings.

No, they don’t back up your description as “solid”.   Solid multi inning relievers don’t get waived.   He’s talented but inconsistent and unreliable.  That’s not my idea of solid.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

No, they don’t back up your description as “solid”.   Solid multi inning relievers don’t get waived.   He’s talented but inconsistent and unreliable.  That’s not my idea of solid.

70 innings pitched last year and an ERA under 4 these past two seasons are solid enough for me for a long/middle relief type guy. I understand if you disagree.

Do you trust Suarez and Perez more? I sure don't. Need to see more from Suarez, and Perez is time bomb any time he's out there.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Also, what’s with the comment about Suarez losing velocity?   He was between 95.0 and 96.2 last night.  

He's been mostly 94 since moving to the pen, but last night was a step in the right direction. He's no longer striking anyone out though.

Just now, interloper said:

70 innings pitched last year and an ERA under 4 these past two seasons are solid enough for me for a long/middle relief type guy. I understand if you disagree.

Do you trust Suarez and Perez more? I sure don't. Need to see more from Suarez, and Perez is time bomb any time he's out there.

I trust Suarez much more.   He throws strikes.   Perez, not so much.  In a big spot, Suarez might get beat but he’s not going to hand it to the opponent on a silver platter.    Baumann’s chances for self implosion are why he’s the one who’s gone.

Posted (edited)

I'm not saying Baumann isn't replaceable - he absolutely is - but the timing is weird. He was in the middle of a string of very good outings, the team needs multi inning guys now more than ever, and you're subtracting a righty with good stuff from an organization that is lacking pitchers with that profile. It's weird! 

Do I think he would have been replaced at some point anyway, yes definitely. But why now? I would have just optioned Akin and kept everyone until the 6 man rotation thing is over.

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I trust Suarez much more.   He throws strikes.   Perez, not so much.  In a big spot, Suarez might get beat but he’s not going to hand it to the opponent on a silver platter.    Baumann’s chances for self implosion are why he’s the one who’s gone.

For a guy who throws strikes, Suarez sure throws a ton of balls out of the hand. I like him but I don't like putting my eggs in the 34 year old journeyman basket.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

For a guy who throws strikes, Suarez sure throws a ton of balls out of the hand. I like him but I don't like putting my eggs in the 34 year old journeyman basket.

Coulombe is a 34 year old journeyman.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Baumann gets claimed because I don't think he goes on waivers.    I think Elias will find two or more clubs that want Baumann and he will be traded for someone that Sig and company like in A ball.

This model will probably be repeated with other players later this season and in the off season.

Either way, he’ll be gone from the org.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Coulombe is a 34 year old journeyman.   

With a lot more recent ML experience and success. 

My overall point is just, we could have kept him for this stretch. Suarez is going to play his role. I hope he does well. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not saying Baumann isn't replaceable - he absolutely is - but the timing is weird. He was in the middle of a string of very good outings, the team needs multi inning guys now more than ever, and you're subtracting a righty with good stuff from an organization that is lacking pitchers with that profile. It's weird! 

Do I think he would have been replaced at some point anyway, yes definitely. But why now? I would have just optioned Akin and kept everyone until the 6 man rotation thing is over.

Akin is a lot more reliable this year.  Why go 10 games with a lesser bullpen to hold onto a guy you think is gone eventually anyway?

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Either way, he’ll be gone from the org.  

But the trade will probably bring back a player.  If he is claimed he probably goes for nothing in return.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But the trade will probably bring back a player.  If he is claimed he probably goes for nothing in return.

If he’s claimed we definitely get nothing in return.

My point was that I think the debate here about whether he’ll be “claimed” is shorthand for whether he’ll remain in the organization.  I agree there’s a shot some team will give us a lower level lottery ticket or good old “cash considerations” to jump the waiver line.  But either way I’ll be very surprised if he’s not on another team in a couple of days.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If he’s claimed we definitely get nothing in return.

My point was that I think the debate here about whether he’ll be “claimed” is shorthand for whether he’ll remain in the organization.  I agree there’s a shot some team will give us a lower level lottery ticket or good old “cash considerations” to jump the waiver line.  But either way I’ll be very surprised if he’s not on another team in a couple of days.  

I agree he is gone from the O's.    The way Elias/Sig and the scouting staff evaluate players I think there is a good chance it's more than a lottery ticket in return.