Orioles lead the league in hitting into double plays the least

According to this, the Orioles are the team with the most ground balls hit into double plays....

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/grounded-into-double-plays-per-game

Now the question is, which Orioles hitters have been the biggest culprits in hitting into a double play?

I think this data can help with lineup decisions and try to correct the issue. Some batters might have a habit of getting over top of the ball when they make contact.  

It says the opposite of that-- the O's lead the league in NOT batting into double plays. 0.39 per game which is least in MLB. It's the Yankees with 0.98/game who hit into the most. 😎

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Are you sure this isn’t saying they have hit into the least double plays per game (0.39 / game) rather than the most?

I thought Kevin Brown said the other night they had hit into something like 16 DPs, of which Mountcastle had 6. That would add up with 40(ish) games x .4 = 16. 

Edited by InsideCoroner

They have definitely mentioned on TV that we've grounded into the LEAST, not the MOST.  Multiple times I've heard this.  Yankees series was one - at that point we had grounded into less DP's as a team than one of their batters (Stanton maybe?) had by himself.

See, I was all prepared with the response that teams that have a ton of people on base are more likely to hit into double plays because there are so many more opportunities. A corollary to the fact that bad teams often turn more double plays than good teams, again more opportunities.

But the O's are so good that they not only have a ton of runners on, they somehow avoid the GIDPs, too.

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Orioles lead the league in hitting into double plays the least
13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

See, I was all prepared with the response that teams that have a ton of people on base are more likely to hit into double plays because there are so many more opportunities. A corollary to the fact that bad teams often turn more double plays than good teams, again more opportunities.

But the O's are so good that they not only have a ton of runners on, they somehow avoid the GIDPs, too.

Was hoping for some mention of High Pockets Kelly.  Kind of a letdown, Drungo, not gonna lie.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Was hoping for some mention of High Pockets Kelly.  Kind of a letdown, Drungo, not gonna lie.

Unfortunately GIDP wasn't recorded regularly prior to 1950, so neither High Pockets nor the 1884 Union Assocation (or the Federal League, for that matter) give us much to work with on this topic.

Although, weirdly, someone went back through all the accounts of the old National Association and found both GIDP and caught stealing data for that proto-league. So we know that Dickey Pearce (who I often confuse with Davy Force, doesn't everyone?) grounded into a league-leading 7 DPs in 1873, whilst being caught stealing not at all in three attempts. I have no idea if the stolen base data for the NA was using the 1886-1898 definition or the 1899-present one.

• Upvote 1