Listed Weight: 210 pounds
DOB (Age): August 19, 1998 (25)

Pitch Velo Spin IVB HB Total % Whiff%
4-Seam Fastball 93.5 2124 18.0 -4.8 131 48.7 31.8
Changeup 85.5 1730 9.8 -13.3 64 23.8 22.9
Curveball 75.7 2723 -14.4 11.5 34 12.6 40.0
Slider 85.4 2048 5.4 5.5 26 9.7 12.5
Sweeper 79.5 2084 1.7 11.5 14 5.2 11.1

Injuries limited Young to just 53 1/3 innings between 2022 and 2023. Upon return to action last year, he flashed increased velocity. That velocity bump has carried over to 2024. Now, Young’s fastball has borderline-average velocity (previously below-average) but above-average carry and extension (6.6 feet). It is further aided by strong command. After his fastball, which is by no means a world beater, Young has a smattering of average secondaries. He primarily relies on a changeup–really his only secondary with above-average potential–that has solid velocity (8 mph), vertical movement (8+ inches), and horizontal movement (8+ inches) separation from his fastball. Both his breaking balls either lack enough power (curveball) or depth (slider/cutter) to be viable putaway pitches at the MLB level. His seldomly-used sweeper has potential, but it has had little success so far. Young adds to the depth of the deepest system in baseball, yet he very well may just be that–depth–likely without an above-average offering. Of course, he could become a viable fantasy arm even with mediocre stuff due to his command and control. 

• Thanks 2

How many more IP does he throw in 2024?  Peaked at 84.1 in 2021.  Then arm issues...  Currently at 44.1.  Does he get back to 85-90 range?  Does he push toward 100-110?  Do they not care and take it week by week?

That will determine as much as how he pitches.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:30 AM, Just Regular said:

BP profiled him today:

Brandon Young, RHP, Baltimore Orioles
Listed Height: 6-foot-6
Listed Weight: 210 pounds
DOB (Age): August 19, 1998 (25)

Pitch Velo Spin IVB HB Total % Whiff%
4-Seam Fastball 93.5 2124 18.0 -4.8 131 48.7 31.8
Changeup 85.5 1730 9.8 -13.3 64 23.8 22.9
Curveball 75.7 2723 -14.4 11.5 34 12.6 40.0
Slider 85.4 2048 5.4 5.5 26 9.7 12.5
Sweeper 79.5 2084 1.7 11.5 14 5.2 11.1

Injuries limited Young to just 53 1/3 innings between 2022 and 2023. Upon return to action last year, he flashed increased velocity. That velocity bump has carried over to 2024. Now, Young’s fastball has borderline-average velocity (previously below-average) but above-average carry and extension (6.6 feet). It is further aided by strong command. After his fastball, which is by no means a world beater, Young has a smattering of average secondaries. He primarily relies on a changeup–really his only secondary with above-average potential–that has solid velocity (8 mph), vertical movement (8+ inches), and horizontal movement (8+ inches) separation from his fastball. Both his breaking balls either lack enough power (curveball) or depth (slider/cutter) to be viable putaway pitches at the MLB level. His seldomly-used sweeper has potential, but it has had little success so far. Young adds to the depth of the deepest system in baseball, yet he very well may just be that–depth–likely without an above-average offering. Of course, he could become a viable fantasy arm even with mediocre stuff due to his command and control. 

A couple of thoughts:

1) FB plays up at that velo due to extension and his 6'6" frame. That's actually a pretty good whiff% for a 4SFB.

2) This quote: "Both his breaking balls either lack enough power (curveball) or depth (slider/cutter) to be viable putaway pitches at the MLB level." flies in the face of a 40% whiff % on his curveball. While the SL does not appear to be fooling many hitters, that CB might have some potential. Not everyone has to throw a power CB.

3) @CaptainRedbeard what do you think of that CU? 23% whiff% is not bad. 

Does he simplify things a bit and throw the SL/Sweeper less and the CB more? I have not seen him pitch but others have. Does he throw too many pitches that are not "quality pitches?"

I'm getting a Chris Tillman vibe here with Mr. Young.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

His profile does read quite a bit like Tillman — taller guy, advanced pitchability, more average stuff (metrics wise) than true plus pitches.  

Will be interesting to follow his development.  I’m sure it was posted elsewhere but worth including here — Longenhagen at Fangraphs had this blurb on Young in his top 100 update from mid May in “others who received consideration”

Young has had a little velocity bump and has been utterly dominant at Double-A Bowie. His fastball has always had big vertical break, but now it’s more often 93-94 mph, up from 91-92. He has a well-defined four-pitch mix and plus command, though only his changeup is generating a plus rate of swing-and-miss and Young locates that pitch in the zone much more often than is typical of a big league pitcher. He’s a near-ready starter but let’s see him sustain the velo bump all year before considering him a mid-rotation prospect.

Edited by Say O!

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

A couple of thoughts:

1) FB plays up at that velo due to extension and his 6'6" frame. That's actually a pretty good whiff% for a 4SFB.

2) This quote: "Both his breaking balls either lack enough power (curveball) or depth (slider/cutter) to be viable putaway pitches at the MLB level." flies in the face of a 40% whiff % on his curveball. While the SL does not appear to be fooling many hitters, that CB might have some potential. Not everyone has to throw a power CB.

3) @CaptainRedbeard what do you think of that CU? 23% whiff% is not bad. 

Does he simplify things a bit and throw the SL/Sweeper less and the CB more? I have not seen him pitch but others have. Does he throw too many pitches that are not "quality pitches?"

I agree they are underselling the curve and the changeup looks very solid. That’s a great foundation and maybe enough if those 3 pitches play up enough against MLB hitters like they have in the minors.  But he could really benefit from figuring out something better with the cutter/slider for righties, even if it’s not a plus pitch. He gets good spin on the curve so he has that ability, just needs to find something firmer that he can still spin. I think his funky delivery and arm angle could be working against him being able to find the right feel for that pitch.

It’s sort of similar to the Grayson arsenal - obviously way different velo and overall stuff wise, but Grayson has the fastball and change as primary pitches and has a good curve and ability to spin that. But he’s been constantly tinkering with the cutter/slider and I think Young will be doing the same. Tillman is another good comp, and he always had some cutter/slider offering for righties. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Figured he needs a bump after his outing yesterday. I watched his effort and it was total domination, he had great control of all his pitches. Also found out his previous outing which he struggled was due to him being under the weather. Like the previous posters have pointed out, FB hit 94 and plays up due to him being 6' 6, definitely worth monitoring his progression

• Upvote 1