Well, That Sucked

5 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I don’t disagree that they may need to trade for a bat (particularly OF) if Mullins doesn’t figure it out. As far as Kjerstad, his Chase and whiff rates have been terrible. What he’s done so far in his MLB sample size is exactly what everyone is complaining about right now. I’m not sure what his MILB numbers look like in that regard but he’s probably not going to have much luck with Chase and whiff rates over 35%.

I cannot blame any athlete for being inconsistent if you are only getting 1 or 2 bats every few days.  No one can get into a rhythm doing that.  Whether you play baseball or are a QB or play tennis or bowling.

His minor league numbers have been more than stellar.......so for heavens sake play him.  He is what...25?  Are the Os going to wait until he is 28?

Pretty ridiculous when you think about the number of players in the majors who are younger than him.

And don't even get me started on Mayo.  

I love Elias.  Want him to be with the Os for a long time.  But he is starting to remind me Chris Ballard with the Colts.  Both are great students of the game and judges of talent, but just so so conservative.   It drives the Colts fans like me crazy, and it is starting to drive the O's fans, like me.....crazy.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s intellectually dishonest to say players like that aren’t on playoff teams and world series winning teams.  

Not sure what you mean? 

We are not going to win a WS with players like Hayes, Mullins, Urias etc.   I think that is obvious.

What am I missing here?

21 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Os are either going to have to trade for a big bat (and they are out there) or call up some youngsters and hope they learn and produce. 

For example Heston imo should be playing all day everyday.  The fact he is not is criminal to me. 

Mayo should have been but now he is out.

I don't think their are many organizations in baseball that would be playing players like Hayes, Mullins, and Urias over those guys.

But here we are.  And it makes NO SENSE.

All imo. 

Elias loves him some veteran presence.  Frazier, Odor.  They will go out of their way to use old people whenever they can and not use the future until they have no other choice.  Its just what they do.  They always will fall back on "love the way they turn the double play"  which is code for "yeah they suck but we are using them no matter what".  With Odor you could respect it a little because he knocked Bautista in the mouth and who can not love that?

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Not sure what you mean? 

We are not going to win a WS with players like Hayes, Mullins, Urias etc.   I think that is obvious.

What am I missing here?

A lot.

4 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

I get the respect the team has for the starting OF. They were here for, and were all keys to, the Orioles becoming relevant again. My hope was they could play well enough to get to the ASB so they could ride off to the proverbial sunset gracefully and let the youngsters come up. But it's not even June and Hays and Mullins are under .200 and Tony is barely above.  I'm not sure what to do.

I haven't even  mentioned Tony because he has been at least "not sucking completely".  And he is in a contract year so I really thought he may come through.

But even he is a below average OF compared to most teams this year.  Think about who we have starting in the OF on a regular basis this year and compare that to other top teams.  It isn't even close.  Your OF hitters and your DH should be your main run producers.

We have gotten next to nothing.   

It is time to change things up.  First by making a BIG trade for a solid proven OF run  producer and two by playing guys from AAA that actually have potential. 

7 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

I get the respect the team has for the starting OF. They were here for, and were all keys to, the Orioles becoming relevant again. My hope was they could play well enough to get to the ASB so they could ride off to the proverbial sunset gracefully and let the youngsters come up. But it's not even June and Hays and Mullins are under .200 and Tony is barely above.  I'm not sure what to do.

Cut their playing time.  If you have to just cut them period.  None of them is really in the long term plans of the Orioles.  I think Mullins was thought of as the starting CF for next year.  But even that has to come into some doubt of late.  Santander is gone as a FA so why do we have to act like we love him?  Its not our job to give him enough playing time so he can get a better contract.  That's for him to figure out.  We don't owe him anything.  We paid him good money for half a decade.  His kids wont have to work because of our money.  Let him ride the bench.  Play the kids.   

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Elias loves him some veteran presence.  Frazier, Odor.  They will go out of their way to use old people whenever they can and not use the future until they have no other choice.  Its just what they do.  They always will fall back on "love the way they turn the double play"  which is code for "yeah they suck but we are using them no matter what".  With Odor you could respect it a little because he knocked Bautista in the mouth and who can not love that?

Yup.  I mean it is Chris Ballard 101.

And Chris Ballard has not one a divisional title with the Colts in 8 years. 

Again, great judge of talent....but way way too conservative. 

ve

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Cut their playing time.  If you have to just cut them period.  None of them is really in the long term plans of the Orioles.  I think Mullins was thought of as the starting CF for next year.  But even that has to come into some doubt of late.  Santander is gone as a FA so why do we have to act like we love him?  Its not our job to give him enough playing time so he can get a better contract.  That's for him to figure out.  We don't owe him anything.  We paid him good money for half a decade.  His kids wont have to work because of our money.  Let him ride the bench.  Play the kids.   

Great post.  Sadly too many posters here, and some in the Os front office (very obvious by now)  are tied to the past and not what lies ahead. 

We are not winning a WS with Mullins, Hayes, Urias, Tony and about 3 others.  So why play them?

I am reminded of the great Seinfeld quote or "Serenity now, insanity later".

• Upvote 1

Share a lot of the concerns but reminder we had a similar lousy period last year between the end of May and July 4th. We were only 14 games over .500 on July 4th (49-35). So it’s not like we are far off from last year. This next series will say a lot though because there is no reason we shouldn’t take 3/4 from the Sox.

35 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think Mulilns status for next season is in trouble now. He's been a bad offensive player since last July. The Orioles have World Series aspirations, but it's not going to happen with this current outfield's production. There needs to be a shakeup less playing time for Mullins (even if his defense in CF is valuable), Hays and even Santander. Kjerstad needs to be given an extended look and give Stowers consistent at bats.

Elias needs to consider trading for a .850 OPS hitter who can play either the outfield or 1B/DH if one becomes available. Kjerstad, Mayo and Basallo could become middle of the order hitters in the future, but it's not happening this year.

A great hitter batting third or fourth would be a huge difference maker, but again who knows what players will be available during trade deadline season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Os are either going to have to trade for a big bat (and they are out there) or call up some youngsters and hope they learn and produce. 

For example Heston imo should be playing all day everyday.  The fact he is not is criminal to me. 

Mayo should have been but now he is out.

I don't think their are many organizations in baseball that would be playing players like Hayes, Mullins, and Urias over those guys.

But here we are.  And it makes NO SENSE.

All imo. 

They won't go it because they are too stubborn to get rid of Santander, Mullins, Hays and Urias 

2 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

They won't go it because they are too stubborn to get rid of Santander, Mullins, Hays and Urias 

Which is insanity imo.

Those guys are pretty good at best.   Very bad at worst.

Strive for higher because those guys won't win you a WS.