Cumulative "from 2021 - 2023"

Cedric Mullins

• rWAR: 12.7 (5.9, 4.0, 2.8)
  • fWAR: 11.5 (6.0, 3.6, 1.9)

Luis Robert Jr.

• rWAR: 10.7 (3.6, 2.1, 5.0)
  • fWAR: 10.6 (3.5, 2.2, 4.9)

"Also, Roberts has only played in 19 games this season"

^^^ And this speaks to the ongoing serious indictment of Robert (w/r/t his availability) 

What happened in 21' is largely irrelevant IMO. Since that appears to be an outlier season for Mullins.

Yes, Roberts is frequently hurt and that would be the risk. But when on the field over their last 162, Roberts is the better offensive player.

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Who costs more prospects: Robert or Trout?  What if LAA eats 30% of the contract?  50%?  

We may never know...

I hope we never know.  Both of them sound like bad ideas.  Weekly injury report.  When will Trout/Robert be healthy again.

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Who costs more prospects: Robert or Trout?  What if LAA eats 30% of the contract?  50%?  

We may never know...

He’s owed ~240MM.  Would be a heck of a start to the Ruby years if he gave Elias the OK to make a trade eating all salary and giving up relatively little in return.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Id move Kjerstad, Bradfield, Hays/Mullins (for roster/salary purposes) and a Max Wagner type guy for Robert.

Too many pieces to give up for him. We need to try to get a starter, under team control for at least next season and Kjerstad should be saved for that.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

We may never know...

Who is paying Trout's contract? I would think his contract value is massively negative by now, so if we way it the prospect cost should be close to zero.

22 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I hope we never know.  Both of them sound like bad ideas.  Weekly injury report.  When will Trout/Robert be healthy again.

"Discretion is the better part of valor" is a truism for a reason.

I dont think Trouts the answer even if he wanted to come here. Too much $$$ probably. Elias would probably accept a 100 OPS+ CF if his range was good. Im not sure how many CF's fall under that category that are available. And Roberts only signed through next year, so it doesn't make sense to give up a valuable prospect for him.  Sigs going to have to dig deep to churn up something. Isnt Johnson in AAA having a great year? I dont know anything about him defensively.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I think the focus is going to be on relief pitching.   I don't think any of the guys SG listed would be needed for the types of relievers the O's will be going after.

IMO 100% - I get the SP need and want but a shut-down pen (with a long man) is imperative

55 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Too many pieces to give up for him. We need to try to get a starter, under team control for at least next season and Kjerstad should be saved for that.

The amount of pieces doesn’t matter.

No issue with the second part of your statement. Ultimately, I would prefer that too…but who is that player?

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont think Trouts the answer even if he wanted to come here. Too much $$$ probably. Elias would probably accept a 100 OPS+ CF if his range was good. Im not sure how many CF's fall under that category that are available. And Roberts only signed through next year, so it doesn't make sense to give up a valuable prospect for him.  Sigs going to have to dig deep to churn up something. Isnt Johnson in AAA having a great year? I dont know anything about him defensively.

Robert is controlled thru 2027.  20M club option for each of 2026 and 2027.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Robert is controlled thru 2027.  20M club option for each of 2026 and 2027.

Honestly Robert's options at 1/20 could be a yearly recurrence of the Anthony Santander QO discussion if Robert's overall level of play doesn't improve.

They do give the club off ramps if his attendance is 50%.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The amount of pieces doesn’t matter.

No issue with the second part of your statement. Ultimately, I would prefer that too…but who is that player?

It does matter if you are trying to fill multiple holes.

That is tough. Maybe try to work something with Texas for Eovaldi. 

In the ongoing discussion of CF targets, there is always the possibility that Cowser becomes the CF moving forward.  He's shown great improvement this season over what we saw last year.  Naturally, that would open another hole in LF, though LF is easier to fill than CF.  I prefer Cowser in LF, as it's a large territory to cover and he does a great job doing it, but that doesn't mean the idea of his taking over in CF is invalid.  The hope is that Mullins regains a facsimile of his prior form and puts this discussion on the backburner.  Keyword=hope... but I don't think any of us are counting on it.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It does matter if you are trying to fill multiple holes.

That is tough. Maybe try to work something with Texas for Eovaldi. 

Wagner and one of those ML OFers aren’t stopping you from getting anyone.

Kjerstad for Eovaldi is horrendous.

I have a hard time imagining a Trout deal will ever happen between Trout’s injuries, his contract, LAA assuredly still wanting some good prospects for him and the fact that trading the face of the franchise immediately after losing Ohtani would be an impossible sell to fans. 

But even if all that were to align, I don’t see the Orioles coming out over the Phillies. If the Phillies weren’t a good team then maybe the Orioles could be a fit as otherwise closest to his hometown, but given they are also a top team Trout would likely say “I will only waive my NTC for Philly” and steer himself there.