The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's would have Crochet thru 2026.  They could also give him the Gray Rod rest treatment and then pitch him out of the pen until September. 

I’m not against getting Crochet, but I see him as more of a trade that’s looking into 2025 and beyond. Crochet is likely to get rested in the second half or even put on the shelf in September.  If it’s about getting pitchers to help with a deep postseason run then Elias will have to make additional moves. 

Crochet is already near double the amount of innings he’s ever pitched over an entire season. I don’t see it likely he pitches 200 innings this season after his injury history. 

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Interesting.  All the things you said about Fedde apply tenfold to Weathers.

”I don’t think he can be counted on for that. If you can get him cheap fine but his career WAR is 3.5 and he has 3.7 this year. Plus he’s 33 innings short of his career high …did 120-130 range twice. How could that be your acquisition that can be counted on when he could quite possibly run out of gas? Or get to a team where performance matters and feel the pressure versus pitching for the White Sox…A horrid team that everyone knew was going to suck”

Yeah except Weathers is a 24 year old pitcher on the rise and Fedde is between 31 & 32 and is controlled only through next season versus through 2028. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah except Weathers is a 24 year old pitcher on the rise and Fedde is between 31 & 32 and is controlled only through next season versus through 2028. 

Oh, I thought the trade deadline thread was about pitchers who would help us this year.  You questioned how many innings Fedde could throw before wearing out and if going from a loser to a contender would matter.   Do those things apply to Weathers too?

The ChiSox plan on limiting Crochet’s innings if he remains on the club. I can’t see the O’s trading Kjerstad who can do major damage in the playoffs for Crochet who may not even be able to contribute.

Per Nightengale

He has already pitched 94 ⅓ innings as a first-year starter, 21 more than his entire career total entering the season, and the White Sox and Crochet already have a firm plan in place to greatly limit his workload in the second half.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Other teams would not be obligated to follow that plan.

Sure, but I find it hard to believe that Elias would not given his track record of limiting innings.

It just doesn't seem like a fit to me. He has trended toward durable veterans in almost all of his major pitching acquisitions (Burnes, Flaherty, Kimbrel, Gibson, Lyles, etc). 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right.  At the same time you want Crochet on board with your plan.   The real question is, what is the plan the WS and Crochet agreed upon?    Is he ,

1.  Getting shut down

2. Skipping every other start

3. Pitching out of the bullpen 

4. Acting as an opener

As long as he’s willing to make his turns in the post season I would find 2-4 acceptable.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, but I find it hard to believe that Elias would not given his track record of limiting innings.

It just doesn't seem like a fit to me. He has trended toward durable veterans in almost all of his major pitching acquisitions (Burnes, Flaherty, Kimbrel, Gibson, Lyles, etc). 

Agree with this.  That’s part of the reason Fedde is more realistic.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Right.  At the same time you want Crochet on board with your plan.   The real question is, what is the plan the WS and Crochet agreed upon?    Is he ,

1.  Getting shut down

4. Acting as an opener

As long as he’s willing to make his turns in the post season I would find 2-4 acceptable.

And crucially, are the White Sox asking for a trade package that reflects the fact that he won't be a SP every 5th day this season?

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m not against getting Crochet, but I see him as more of a trade that’s looking into 2025 and beyond. Crochet is likely to get rested in the second half or even put on the shelf in September.  If it’s about getting pitchers to help with a deep postseason run then Elias will have to make additional moves. 

Crochet is already near double the amount of innings he’s ever pitched over an entire season. I don’t see it likely he pitches 200 innings this season after his injury history. 

The White Sox want us to very overpay for their trade chips!  It could hurt our future to lose that many prospects for 1 player or for a rental. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While that’s obvious it can’t be ignored he’s about to double his career high in innings pitched and has already had TJ once. There is no guarantee he’s going to be able to pitch the innings needed down the stretch plus the playoffs.

Of course it only takes one desperate foolish GM to give into Getz demands but so far that hasn’t happened.

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Oh, I thought the trade deadline thread was about pitchers who would help us this year.  You questioned how many innings Fedde could throw before wearing out and if going from a loser to a contender would matter.   Do those things apply to Weathers too?

So Weathers pitched if I’m reading Bbref correctly 184 innings between the bigs and minors last season. Fedde did as well but at what AA or less level? 

Im interested in controlled assets for the players we are trading away. I mean if they want to trade Fedde for a fringe prospect or two fine. Or some space holder like Urias, Hays etc. 

I love Burnes but I’m disappointed we got a 1 year guy that’s more than likely leaving for free agency. I’m hopeful Rubbenstein wants to get something done as well as Burnes. I’d like to see it done before free agency.

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The White Sox want us to very overpay for their trade chips!  It could hurt our future to lose that many prospects for 1 player or for a rental. 

I should add under no circumstances, I’m willing to overpay for Crochet so it’s likely the Orioles will never reach a deal with the White Sox for him. 

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1.  Getting shut down

4. Acting as an opener

Plus … Getz is asking for the moon.

• Upvote 1