The 2024 Trade Deadline

44 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I just found out that Povich was optioned-yesterday?  Hopefully his next slot start will be by a trade acquisition.

Presumably they did this just to call up another reliever.  I think he'll be back after the ASB.  

7 hours ago, Say O! said:

Longenhagen had Wallace as 40+ FV which for reference is a notch below Os Fabian at 45 FV.

Also noteworthy that Harvey is under control for 2025 as well, so not just rental for this season. 

Great, an extra year in which Harvey is likely to be injured, but at least in Royals colors this time.

It's clear that the Baltimore front office wants to add as good of pitching as possible while holding on to their top prospects. Zach Pressnell of FanSided put together a trade package with the Chicago Cubs that could get both things done.

Chicago would send Jameson Taillon and cash considerations to the Orioles in return for infielder Mac Horvath and right-handed pitcher Trace Bright.

Would you do this deal?

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So … he’s owed about $8.5 this years and $18 next. How much cash would you need to feel good about it? $9 million?

And 18M in 2026.

Hes not that good to feel a need to roster him.

I'd rather have Taillon than not have him, if it's just going to cost something like Horvath+. Not sure how much money is eaten in that equation. Next year we have pretty much one starter you can count on (GRod), maybe two with Kremer. Getting Taillon would be a good thing. Seems like you can count on him for 30 starts a year for about a #3 or #4 level starter.

20 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I'd rather have Taillon than not have him, if it's just going to cost something like Horvath+. Not sure how much money is eaten in that equation. Next year we have pretty much one starter you can count on (GRod), maybe two with Kremer. Getting Taillon would be a good thing. Seems like you can count on him for 30 starts a year for about a #3 or #4 level starter.

I’d think it was a good idea as well.

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are Taillon like pitchers available every offseason. 

True, but we are also going to need multiple Taillon like (or better) starters next season. If we aren't getting any starters controlled past 2024 via trade otherwise, seems like a good idea to check out trading for this one now. This way we get one to eat innings (at worst) this year plus already cost controlled through 2026. We all want a real #2 starter for 2025 and a #3 starter for the second half of 2024 but we still need at least 2 pitchers total for 2025 anyway. 

7 minutes ago, G54377 said:

True, but we are also going to need multiple Taillon like (or better) starters next season. If we aren't getting any starters controlled past 2024 via trade otherwise, seems like a good idea to check out trading for this one now. This way we get one to eat innings (at worst) this year plus already cost controlled through 2026. We all want a real #2 starter for 2025 and a #3 starter for the second half of 2024 but we still need at least 2 pitchers total for 2025 anyway. 

All this post says is, who cares about the quality or cost, just get an arm because we are desperate.

Taillon wouldn’t be a good get. Hes an if all else fails type guy in the offseason 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Texas was all over the place last year running hot and cold.  They got hot at the right time and made their run. That could happen for the Orioles - but will it?  Play the games and find out.   Tony posted some stats showing that the O’s have been “anti-clutch.”   But those things sometimes turn on a dime.  We’ll see if they do.   
    • Don’t know what this means except I’m sure there is some profanity involved. He has a bad outing .. what do you expect him to say. Hey …how about my manager kept me in too long and the cost was a lost game? Can’t do that he’s a professional. I think Burnes ends up 5-6 x $30. If that’s the case Rubenstein should be all in. I just don’t see anyone going 200 plus. I think the decreased K/9 could work in the Orioles favor. And he’s proven he can get guys out without being K Reliant. I’ll take a sub 3 era (before the other night) for the next 3-5 years. He’s solid, a bulldog , and a good guy.
    • I think this goes to show that a lot of the clutch stats are more statistical noise than anything else, at least on the hitting side. It also makes a difference when other teams are giving us their best and setting up their rotations to have their top guys pitching vs us. We also really need consistency from the middle of the rotation, when you have 2 good starters and the rest of the guys are inconsistent at best, it is tough to do well. Right now, the Orioles basically need to survive until October and still hold a playoff spot. If they can get Westy, Coloumbe, Grayson, and Webb back healthy they have a shot but a lot has to go right. There isn't really much wiggle room left if the ultimate goal is a world series.
    • Looking at Tate’s AAA numbers one wonders if he’s not coming back soon. 15 innings, 1.085 WHIP. He’s only striking out 8 per 9IP. Otherwise he looks pretty good compared to what we’ve had lately 
    • There’s a lot to what you say.  Cano had a chance to escape the 7th but threw the batter a meatball with 2 strikes.   Sims had a chance to escape his half and did so by executing a really good 2-strike pitch. 
    • Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the sabermetricians pretty much debunked the idea that clutch performance is a true skill?  Last year we overperformed in clutch situations and we won a lot of games.  This year we are underperforming in clutch situations. and we are losing more games than we should.   But if clutch performance comes and goes, there's no reason to think that we won't play well in the clutch from here on out.   The bigger issue to me is a lack of overall talent in the bullpen.  The fact that Cionel Perez and his 4 ERA is considered one of our "trustworthy" guys is very telling.   Unfortunately, there's no reason to think that our bullpen will get better this season.  It is what it is.   Elias and Rubinstein need to devote some real re$source$ to the bullpen this offseason, and then we have to hope that Felix can return to form.   And Elias will have to get over his hoarder mentality that says we have to keep mediocre pitchers like Akin and Baker around just because they are under team control.   
    • I don't always agree with SG, but I found myself wondering if Texas may have had a similar run last year later in the season, before they got on a heater in the playoffs....so the "six weeks from now" scenario is really what matters.  If we can get everyone hot at the same time at the end of September and make the playoffs, then good things can happen.  But, all of that is just hope right now.  I guess we'll see when we get there, but I'm not currently inspired by how we've played recently, and I don't have a lot of confidence that we will make a deep playoff run.  I hope I'm wrong. 
  • Popular Contributors