The 2024 Trade Deadline

8 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah if the Brewers traded Joey Ortiz for Fedde I feel like this most of this board would think that’s crazy (which it probably would be). Cowser has been better than him this year and is also 2 years younger. 

You guys need to look at Cowser’s stats again. I like him, he’s an O, but the dude has been really struggling at the plate since his hot first 3-4 weeks.

I’m not trying to give Cowser away, but if it’s between giving up Cowser, or Kjerstad, in a trade, then I’m giving up Cowser. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think if the Blue Jays go past Kikuchi that Berrios and Gausman become in play as well as Bassitt.     Elias might incline to Bassitt for brevity of term like a sunflower turning toward the sun.

If it is a blowup, I think Arjun Nimmala becomes the franchise player with Orelvis Martinez wearing the bad vibes suspension tag and Ricky Tiedemann having only 17 innings in late July.

Of the Blue Jays starters only Bassitt and Berrios have been any good. Gausman and Kikuchi have not. At least Kikuchi is a pure rental, Gausman you would be stuck with a declining/aging player on a bad contract.

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Worried about injuries …. Snell, Crochet, Skuball, Scherzer ..did I miss anyone?

I’m a no on Crochet because of his innings limit. A no on Scherzer because he just doesn’t seem fully there, yet. Snell I’m worried about injuries because he’s missed time twice this year already for them and he started his season late. Skubal seems to be steady and put the surgery behind him between the second half last year and this year so far.

But all pitchers I worry about injuries. Some more than others.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You guys need to look at Cowser’s stats again. I like him, he’s an O, but the dude has been really struggling at the plate since his hot first 3-4 weeks.

I’m not trying to give Cowser away, but if it’s between giving up Cowser, or Kjerstad, in a trade, then I’m giving up Cowser. 

Everyone knows he’s been struggling but he’s also one of the best defensive outfielders in the league which raises his floor (and ceiling) a lot higher. He doesn’t have to hit nearly as well as Kjerstad does to be as valuable as him. I like both of them so not trying to make it into a Kjerstad/Cowser debate, but they’re going to provide value differently. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cowser is our best defensive outfielder.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cowser for Fedde, Pham, and Brebbia looks pretty even. 

It's not even.  Even all the mock trades not wearing orange colored glasses see Fedde as fetching Beavers +.

Cowser would be discussed if it were Crochet.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Doesn’t it seem ridiculous that we have the Wall, and our ballpark, but no LH SP option for the playoffs?

We had Means and he got hurt. And Irvin sucked.

I get what you are saying though. Skubal would be the ideal fit as a lefty.

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Doesn’t it seem ridiculous that we have the Wall, and our ballpark, but no LH SP option for the playoffs?

Cole Irvin and Bruce Zimmerman starting Games 3 and 4 of the World Series at home against Philly, confirmed. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are you hoping for a LHP who gives up a lot of pulled 380-390 foot fly balls?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I had been considering making the trip but it unfortunately didn't work out this season with a lot of other travel obligations I ended up having. I went to Fenway for the first time to see the O's back in 2019 and absolutely loved it.  Hope everyone making the trip has a blast!
    • Nice to see he's putting the increase in ticket prices to good use! 
    • I learned just now that the Library of Congress has a new David M. Rubenstein Treasures Gallery, so named in recognition of a $10 mm gift by Rubenstein.  Looks pretty cool, too.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/09/03/library-of-congress-exhibit/
    • He’s really having a rough year.  Three trips to the IL plus an illness that zapped him badly at the beginning of the year.  I’d say there’s a good chance he’s getting non-tendered this offseason.  But hopefully he can recover from this latest setback and contribute to the Phillies during the postseason.
    • It’s kind of amazing, but Bowman has thrown 207.2 innings in his career, while Perez has thrown 207.1.   Perez has allowed fewer hits (183/188), fewer runs (101/105), fewer homers (15/18) and has struck out more batters (191/167).   The only place where Bowman has the advantage is walks (108/75).  Perez is five years younger.   I prefer Perez every day and twice on Sunday.  
    • I don't want to hijack this thread but for those that are interested: Underestimating the Fog (Bill James)-or the original title-The Problem of Distinguishing Between Transient and Persistent Phenomena When Dealing with Variables from a Statistically Unstable Platform.  https://sabr.org/research/article/underestimating-the-fog/ Excerpt: " Dick Cramer, in the clutch-hitting study, did the same thing, and catcher-ERA studies, which look for consistency in catcher’s impact on ERAs, do the same thing; they compare one comparison offshoot with a second comparison offshoot. It is a comparison of two comparison offshoots. When you do that, the result embodies not just all of the randomness in two original statistics, but all of the randomness in four original statistics. Unless you have extremely stable “original elements” — original statistics stabilized by hundreds of thousands of trials — then the result is, for all practical purposes, just random numbers. We ran astray because we have been assuming that random data is proof of nothingness, when in reality random data proves nothing. In essence, starting with Dick Cramer’s article, Cramer argued, “I did an analysis which should have identified clutch hitters, if clutch hitting exists. I got random data; therefore, clutch hitters don’t exist.” Cramer was using random data as proof of nothingness — and I did the same, many times, and many other people also have done the same. But I’m saying now that’s not right; random data proves nothing — and it cannot be used as proof of nothingness. Why? Because whenever you do a study, if your study completely fails, you will get random data. Therefore, when you get random data, all you may conclude is that your study has failed. Cramer’s study may have failed to identify clutch hitters because clutch hitters don’t exist — as he concluded — or it may have failed to identify clutch hitters because the method doesn’t work — as I now believe. We don’t know. All we can say is that the study has failed. Dealing now with the nine conclusions listed near the start of the article, which were: -Clutch hitters don’t exist. -Pitchers have no ability to win, which is distinct from an ability to prevent runs. -Winning or losing close games is luck. -Catchers have little or no impact on a pitcher’s ERA. -A pitcher has little or no control over his hits/innings ratio, other than by striking batters out and allowing home runs. -Base running has no persistent impact on a team’s runs scored, other than by base stealing. -Batters have no individual tendency to hit well or hit poorly against left-handed pitching. -Batters don’t get hot and cold. -One hitter does not “protect” another in a hitting lineup. On [1), it is my opinion that this should be regarded as an open question. While Dick Cramer is a friend of mine, and I have tremendous respect for his work, I am convinced that, even if clutch-hitting skill did exist and was extremely important, this analysis would still reach the conclusion that it did, simply because it is not possible to detect consistency in clutch hitting by the use of this method." He goes on to question the other conclusions.  It's a very interesting read. Here is Birnbaum's response:  https://sabr.org/journal/article/response-to-mapping-the-fog/  
  • Popular Contributors