The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Then put together a fast trade. As I’ve said, I’d make Holliday my move next year. Norby and Mayo … we need guys to work counts do something beyond hitting homers. 

I hear you but Fast trade, Elias, and this slow market with so many wild cards, adds up to this going to deadline day. 

We’re limping there. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s not an excuse. It’s the truth. We had 4 off days too in the playoffs before Texas and were still a tired team. 

So our GM needs to get us the rotation replacement for Bradish. Elias needs to get us a rotation replacement for Suarez. Make room for the young/fresh legs. 

Who the heck even cares about a reliever right now?  

What's going to happen when these poor guys get into their late 20's?  They are going to need naps during the games.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Been saying this since the offseason.  Him and Erceg.  Would love to add them.

The pen just needs so much help. I think we could literally DFA the whole pen outside of Kimbrel and it wouldn’t matter.

I suspect we leave Miami today with one or two of their relievers.      Our pen sucks.

the offense … needs a change too.   These guys have no approach at the plate right now.    It will get worse today with McCann catching and playing today…

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s not an excuse. It’s the truth. We had 4 off days too in the playoffs before Texas and were still a tired team. 

So our GM needs to get us the rotation replacement for Bradish. Elias needs to get us a rotation replacement for Suarez. Make room for the young/fresh legs. 

Who the heck even cares about a reliever right now?  

Every team can use that same excuse this time of year.

The problem is not fatigue (relative to any other team). The problem is that our starters suck on 3 out of every 5 games and we are constantly behind early. That and Gunnar and Adley are slumping badly.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much would Mayo have to struggle at DH to be worse than Mounty has been since April. A .600 OPS?

Everyone needs to get over their PTSD of the Jackson Holliday 0-for. 

But at least Mountcastle can play defense. If Mayo struggles at the plate and commits multiple errors it's going to lead to a lot of hand wringing. 

Just now, Jagwar said:

But at least Mountcastle can play defense. If Mayo struggles at the plate and commits multiple errors it's going to lead to a lot of hand wringing. 

O’Hearn can play 1B while Mayo mostly DH.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Every team can use that same excuse this time of year.

The problem is not fatigue (relative to any other team). The problem is that our starters suck on 3 out of every 5 games and we are constantly behind early. That and Gunnar and Adley are slumping badly.

Ok you win. You have successfully argued against me. @Can_of_corn too. 

Does that change that we’re still a tired team?

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What proof is there that we’re “tired” other than guys slumping. Have they come out and said they are tired right now? The tough stretch everyone wants to reference was in June, it’s July 25th now, so are they just going to be “tired the rest of the season? They literally had the all star break less than a week ago. And you can say that Adley and Gunnar and Westy and Tony are still tired because they played in the game. Well, they still had two full days off Wednesday and Thursday last week plus an off day Monday this week, not sure when else we will get rest like that for tired guys. Our rotation is struggling because we have 40% of the rotation filled with guys who are probably not mlb quality starters. Our bullpen is struggling for the same reason. Our offense is struggling because our main guys are in a slump (this happens to every team, not just automatically meaning tired), and the rest of the lineup is filled with 3-4 virtually automatic outs every day.

were they tired in June? Probably, but they’ve had plenty of time since then, and if they are still tired now then I don’t see how they aren’t just tired the rest of the way.

Edited by terpoh

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought Adley and Gunnar and Colton were those type of guys?

Until they got to the majors and stopped being those guys.

Almost as if the team would rather they be more aggressive.

We saw what passive Adley and Gunnar looked like.

Well when it goes bad they can’t buy a lead. It’s fine to blame the pitching but our hitting has mostly been in the tank during the down turn. We had a rookie pitcher only give up three and we couldn’t get him a lead to work with against a sorry team. Same thing with Povich last time out. Gave up 3 over 5 plus. The SP needs to be better but it hasn’t been horrible beyond Suarez’s last start.

1 minute ago, terpoh said:

What proof is there that we’re “tired” other than guys slumping. Have they come out and said they are tired right now? The tough stretch everyone wants to reference was in June, it’s July 25th now, so are they just going to be “tired the rest of the season? They literally had the all star break less than a week ago. And you can say that Adley and Gunnar and Westy and Tony are still tired because they played in the game. Well, they still had two full days off Wednesday and Thursday last week plus an off day Monday this week, not sure when else we will get rest like that for tired guys. Our rotation is struggling because we have 40% of the rotation filled with guys who are probably not mlb quality starters. Our bullpen is struggling for the same reason. Our offense is struggling because our main guys are in a slump (this happens to every team, not just automatically meaning tired), and the rest of the lineup is filled with 3-4 virtually automatic outs every day.

were they tired in June? Probably, but they’ve had plenty of time since then, and if they are still tired now then I don’t see how they aren’t just tired the rest of the way.

They didn't even have to travel.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are other teams who are consistently kicking our butts not "tired"?

I'm not saying that there is not some fatigue with the "dog days of Summer", that would be naive. But our pitching is consistently making the other teams (regardless of our terrible) look like All-stars. The Cubs, Marlins, and A's cannot hit anyone else. But against us they all looked like world beaters.

We have a bunch of fringe to borderline MLB pitchers occupying space on our roster right now. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well when it goes bad they can’t buy a lead. It’s fine to blame the pitching but our hitting has mostly been in the tank during the down turn. We had a rookie pitcher only give up three and we couldn’t get him a lead to work with against a sorry team. Same thing with Povich last time out. Gave up 3 over 5 plus. The SP needs to be better but it hasn’t been horrible beyond Suarez’s last start.

OK?

What does that have to do with what I said?

These guys got to the majors with the reputation of being able to control the strike zone.

I think they are being told to be more aggressive with what they think are pitches they can do damage with.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK?

What does that have to do with what I said?

These guys got to the majors with the reputation of being able to control the strike zone.

I think they are being told to be more aggressive with what they think are pitches they can do damage with.

Ok so fire the hitting advisors

I wouldn’t invest any assets to “protect a lead”. We need to invest assets in to “get a lead” first. 

That’s two SP and call up Holliday and Mayo.

1. Gunnar SS L

2. Adley C S

3. Santa RF S

4. Mayo DH R

5. O’Hearn 1B L

6. Westburg R 3B

7. Kjerstad L LF 

8. Cowser/Mullins L CF

9. Holliday 2B L

• Upvote 1