The 2024 Trade Deadline

29 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Thrilled with the Eflin and Dominguez acquisitions, now let's go get Snell and maybe like Sam Moll from Cincy.

Saw us tied to Rooker, what would a trade look like? How good or bad is he in the OF?

19 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

bold take

Now is the time to go and get Mike Trout. We are barren on offense at the moment, and we really need a RH thumper. Have them add Estevez. Take on salary. Give them a bunch of 45 and 40 prospects. I think this trade can be made without one of the big 4.

I had actually thought about this recently and came to the conclusion that this would actually be kind of smart and awesome. We kind of need a second CF to play LF at OPACY, so split his time between LF and DH. LF at home, DH on the road. That would protect his health and keep him fresh, while also maximizing him when he is on the field.

The issue is, of course, everything else. The Angels would have to eat a bunch of money for us to take on his remaining contract years, and they would absolutely have to get a flagship prospect back to save face in trading away a franchise icon while ALSO eating money on his deal. It clearly wouldn't be Holliday, and I think Basallo is too important to us to trade until Adley is extended, if that ever happens, so it would have to be Mayo, whose right-handed bat in future Orioles lineups would effectively be replaced by Trout's. 

Could you live with Mayo+ for Trout and Estevez, plus like $10-15 million per year to get a future HOF who has shown no signs of slowing down as a hitter when healthy? I could.

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Saw us tied to Rooker, what would a trade look like? How good or bad is he in the OF?

Little to no defensive value so he'd mostly DH here, I would assume. 

I don't really see a fit unless Mountcastle or O'Hearn is traded. Or Santander I guess, but that ain't happening. They previous two though, maybe.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Rooker should never wear a glove, he's double-digit negative WAR bad in just 72 innings in LF.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Malike said:

Another stellar outing from Kikuchi. I wonder if he starts for us next week. 

I rather see us try for one of Snell , Fedde or Tallion first .  If we can’t , then Kikuchi will be last option for us 

4 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I had actually thought about this recently and came to the conclusion that this would actually be kind of smart and awesome. We kind of need a second CF to play LF at OPACY, so split his time between LF and DH. LF at home, DH on the road. That would protect his health and keep him fresh, while also maximizing him when he is on the field.

The issue is, of course, everything else. The Angels would have to eat a bunch of money for us to take on his remaining contract years, and they would absolutely have to get a flagship prospect back to save face in trading away a franchise icon while ALSO eating money on his deal. It clearly wouldn't be Holliday, and I think Basallo is too important to us to trade until Adley is extended, if that ever happens, so it would have to be Mayo, whose right-handed bat in future Orioles lineups would effectively be replaced by Trout's. 

Could you live with Mayo+ for Trout and Estevez, plus like $10-15 million per year to get a future HOF who has shown no signs of slowing down as a hitter when healthy? I could.

I think we need Estevez for our bullpen staff , the bullpen needs all the reinforcements we can get .  I don’t think Trout would work out with us 

If nothing else happens, and I predict that it will, the Orioles didn’t lose a top 10 prospect in Baseball America rankings. MLB Pipeline had Mac Horvath 10th. The cost for Zach Eflin didn’t seem heavy, and especially with him under team control next season at $18 million.

Roch ……

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Roch ……

So he’s predicting something else happens? Seems like everyone is on the same page. A reliever seems like a given but it will be interesting to see if Elias adds another starter.

At least projections wise, Fangraphs upped the O’s WS odds about 1.5% (to 10.6%) from before the trades. Not huge, but they were around 7-8% for most of the season. 

28 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

So he’s predicting something else happens? Seems like everyone is on the same page. A reliever seems like a given but it will be interesting to see if Elias adds another starter.

At least projections wise, Fangraphs upped the O’s WS odds about 1.5% (to 10.6%) from before the trades. Not huge, but they were around 7-8% for most of the season. 

Honestly … I think we need an impact RH hitting OF that can play defense 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly … I think we need an impact RH hitting OF that can play defense 

Could definitely be a fit. Not sure who out there besides Ward or Robert would be strong enough defensively to adequately play LF or CF though. 

18 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Could definitely be a fit. Not sure who out there besides Ward or Robert would be strong enough defensively to adequately play LF or CF though. 

Kevin Pillar?  Happ?

Edited by Roll Tide

17 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Detroit has Carpenter and Reynolds but they would require some chips to get 

28 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

In addition to Rooker the A’s have Andujar

Edited by Roll Tide

Can anyone understand why Jerry Dipoto is trading Ryne Stanek to Steve Cohen's Mets when Seattle has had DFA fodder like Michael Baumann in their 7th inning role in the last month or two?

I can almost feel a Mountcastle or Mullins for Luis Castillo conversation in progress.

Mountcastle and O'Hearn vs. the Tampa pair of Yandy Diaz and Isaac Paredes perhaps a compare/contrast available to 1B needy teams like the Mariners and Astros.

Mike Elias breaking Austin Hays ice probably intensifies anxiety in the Mountcastle/O'Hearn/Mullins section of the roster.

Big picture it seems with yesterday's work Elias is a lot closer to success in retaining the Top 9 long term bats - Adley, Basallo, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, EBJ, Kjerstad and Mayo.      There aren't that many more trailers to sit through before the movie actually starts.