The 2024 Trade Deadline

27 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The big remaining questions:

1. Will the Orioles pay a premium for a top rental RP (pretty much just Scott), or a good “maybe available” RP with control like Fairbanks, Bednar or Nardi? Or will they go for a cheap under-the-radar middle RP type? They’re going to come away with another RP arm in some capacity, but the prices for Puk and especially Estevez and Adam were so steep that it seems to have put the brakes on the RP market. It’s going to get moving again before the deadline, but not sure if the Orioles will be one to blink. 

2. Will they add another SP? Eflin brings the need down, but they certainly could benefit from another playoff caliber SP. They probably don’t need to bother with the Montas/Quantril level, but somebody to bump Kremer to #5 and provide insurance for injury would be huge. Don’t think it will be Skubal or Crochet. Snell, Flaherty, Fedde, Kikuchi, Anderson are those likely to move, possibly Bassitt and Taillon - with a lot of buyers looking for SP will the Orioles come away with one?

3. Will one of the vets - Mountcastle, Mullins, or Urias - be moved to make roster space for Mayo? Assuming Holliday will be the extra position player on September 1, one of them (or Pache) will have to go to make an additional space for Mayo (probably mid-August so that Mayo retains ROY eligibility, like Holliday). Norby could be optioned, but Mateo is also not out for the year and it’s unclear when he’ll return.

4. If they’re adding a right handed corner OF, will it be a more expensive guy like Ward or Thomas, or a cheaper vet rental like Pham or Pillar? And if so, how do they make the additional roster space in addition to the space for Mayo?

5. Kjerstad and Bradfield IMO are the two biggest potential trade chips that the Orioles are probably willing, but reluctant to move. Do they survive the deadline?

Ward would fit as the RHH and we'd be willing to take a little money on.  A deal with the Angels for Ward and Anderson would entail taking salary on, them not being rentals, and plugging two needs for us.  Who of the position players goes to make room for Ward though?  Urias?  

I think our needs are RH LF, SP for at least Game 4, and RP.  

Ward has 2.5 years remaining.  Anderson has 1.5 years remaining.  Ward has a .906 OPS vs LHP this year.  S;uarez would then go to the pen.  So that trade in a way, solves our bare minimum needs and might not cost so much in prospects because of the salaries.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I’d love to add Mason Miller if avail but all evidence shows that has not been Elias MO

if we have to go into the playoffs with a 3 of Burnes/Rodriguez/ Eflin that’s certainly competitive. Especially if the offense can turn it on again. The bullpen is where we def need an upgrade as innings 5-9 are our weakness.

I’ve made my opinions known enough about this. I don’t believe that “competitive” should be a reasonable bar/goal when you are sitting on these kind of assets.

”Competitive” seems like settling when their is a realistic possibility to obtain so much more.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

No. What I was saying is that Seattle would not be incentivized to subtract from their big league team (pitching staff) to add non-difference making offensive players.

The Mariners have a load farm system with like 6 top 100 prospects. It makes much more sense for them to trade prospects in order to find offense as opposed to trading a young starter given the frequency of injuries to pitchers.

I agree … not sure Mountcastle is a non difference making player. Mountcastle has OPS of .762 …. France is .662 and Locklear is .547. He’d be a significant upgrade to an offense that needs to score runs. 

That’s said … I doubt Dipoto would deal a pitcher at this point. So again we agree. 

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I’ve made my opinions known enough about this. I don’t believe that “competitive” should be a reasonable bar/goal when you are sitting on these kind of assets.

”Competitive” seems like settling when there is a realistic possibility to obtain so much more.

In the AL at least who has a better starting 3 right now? SEA for sure. KC maybe? You put way too much stock in starting pitching for the playoffs when all available evidence says the bullpen matters significantly more.

Just now, casadeozo said:

In the AL at least who has a better starting 3 right now? SEA for sure. KC maybe? You put way too much stock in starting pitching for the playoffs when all available evidence says the bullpen matters significantly more.

You need 4 SP for a playoff series.  So we should really comp best 4's.  Currently we have one of the weaker 1-4 playoff rotation of all the contenders in the AL.  

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Seems to be some conflicting reports on Skubal’s availability but nonetheless it’s encouraging if Elias is looking to add another good starter versus a #5 type. Bullpen is almost even more of a need at this point but if he can walk away with a backend BP option to go along with a TOR starter, that would be pretty great.

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Seems to be some conflicting reports on Skubal’s availability but nonetheless it’s encouraging if Elias is looking to add another good starter versus a #5 type. Bullpen is almost even more of a need at this point but if he can walk away with a backend BP option to go along with a TOR starter, that would be pretty great.

Plus, having Skubal/GRod/Eflin for next season would be pretty darn awesome.

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ward would fit as the RHH and we'd be willing to take a little money on.  A deal with the Angels for Ward and Anderson would entail taking salary on, them not being rentals, and plugging two needs for us.  Who of the position players goes to make room for Ward though?  Urias?  

I think our needs are RH LF, SP for at least Game 4, and RP.  

Ward has 2.5 years remaining.  Anderson has 1.5 years remaining.  Ward has a .906 OPS vs LHP this year.  S;uarez would then go to the pen.  So that trade in a way, solves our bare minimum needs and might not cost so much in prospects because of the salaries.  

I like the idea of trading for Ward as compliment to all of our LHH OFs for tge next couple of seasons, but Anderson's 2024 feels like smoke and mirrors to me so I would like to aim higher for the SP. Not necessarily Skubal or Crochet, but Fedde or Snell would be clear upgrades for the #3 spot in the rotation.

Jon Gray could also be a shrewd pickup if the Rangers make him available.

Put me down for Snell, Pillar (mashes lefties) plus a backend bullpen rental or two. 

Snell has postseason experience, which is a huge bonus of him versus some of the guys that would cost more. It’s what I really like about the Suarez pickup as well. 

I definitely think we can address all of our current needs in the offseason more cheaply, so I personally don’t care about control if it’s going to cost prospects.

I want to address the needs that put us WS contention plus keep the future in tact, and I think that haul of players could do that  

If Snell has a good experience here, maybe we can resign him, likely for much cheaper than Burnes. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I like the idea of trading for Ward as compliment to all of our LHH OFs for tge next couple of seasons, but Anderson's 2024 feels like smoke and mirrors to me so I would like to aim higher for the SP. Not necessarily Skubal or Crochet, but Fedde or Snell would be clear upgrades for the #3 spot in the rotation.

Jon Gray could also be a shrewd pickup if the Rangers make him available.

I hear you.  The Giants are interesting.  I don't put them in the "seller" category, but like Seattle, they might be interested in Mounty, and Mullins.

9 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Put me down for Snell, Pillar (mashes lefties) plus a backend bullpen rental or two. 

Snell has postseason experience, which is a huge bonus of him versus some of the guys that would cost more. It’s what I really like about the Suarez pickup as well. 

I definitely think we can address all of our current needs in the offseason more cheaply, so I personally don’t care about control if it’s going to cost prospects.

I want to address the needs that put us WS contention plus keep the future in tact, and I think that haul of players could do that  

If Snell has a good experience here, maybe we can resign him, likely for much cheaper than Burnes. 

Whoops. Meant Domínguez, not Suarez.