The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle and Mullins for Snell.  Who says no?  

I don't know that I'd cripple our defense that much for Snell. A total veteran purge seems extremely risky to me. Hays made a lot of sense. Mounty and Mullins make some sense on their own. All 3 though? Dunno about that. 

37 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Right now our starting staff nor our bullpen has been good for over a month. We are surrendering about 6 runs a game since Bradish went down.

Who is better in that span? About 27 other teams. Every AL contender except maybe the Red Sox.

Certainly can’t disagree the pitching has sucked the past 2 months 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Giants aren't trading Snell to the Orioles without getting a prospect in return.

I don't see the Giants as a "seller".  I see them similar to the Rangers where they may sell and buy.  Sell a SP for some offense.  The obligatory, just my two cents.  Heck, we are selling and buying.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't know that I'd cripple our defense that much for Snell. A total veteran purge seems extremely risky to me. Hays made a lot of sense. Mounty and Mullins make some sense on their own. All 3 though? Dunno about that. 

100% agree here. 

10 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Apologies if already posted

Smoke coming out the warehouse this morning..

The fact that we checked on Snell at all given his contract situation is a great sign that Rubenstein's financial limits will exceed the prior regime's by a wide margin.

It also seems to make it more plausible that they will make a real go at signing Burnes this winter since we were seemingly willing to run the risk of paying Snell $30 million, at least for one year.

Whether they would commit to that for a longer term is another matter, of course.

27 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm surprised if Detroit would even discuss Skubal without one of the big 3 in play.  A lot of ESPN expert types had the O's trading top of our top 3 like it was nothing for Skubal.

Well we don’t know what they are discussing or how intense the discussions are. 

I think it’s likely that we don’t trade any of the top 3…The Os are hoping they cave and vice versa. That’s just how these talks work.

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Giants aren't trading Snell to the Orioles without getting a prospect in return.

Logan Webb might not care about that anymore than Corbin Burnes cares if Samuel Basallo is retained.

Giants moves I think would be more retool for 2025 than like the Marlins ones.

Mainly I think it is a bad look for Farhan after finally getting a top player to take his money to ship him out.     Blake Snell could win him playoff games against Paul Skenes.

It might be more tolerable to the next prominent MLBPA member Farhan hopes to woo if the return is other prominent MLBPA members.

The Giants I think might care less about $$$/WAR than they do about the Confederate money problem.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle and Mullins for Snell.  Who says no?  

Truthfully I think the O’s. 

Injust don’t think they are going to trade both now after trading Hays while sitting in 1st place. 

Posted (edited)

I have doubts he's available, but I wonder whether we could get back with the Rays for Pete Fairbanks (30)?  I do NOT prefer inter-division trades, but he'd be a nice addition.  I'd prefer Tanner Scott, but we've already dealt with the Rays and, perhaps, could look to them again.

• Signed thru 2025, 3 yrs/$12M (23-25) & 26 team option.
Edited by Greg Pappas

7 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Truthfully I think the O’s. 

Injust don’t think they are going to trade both now after trading Hays while sitting in 1st place. 

Me too.  I don't think there's any way that Elias will go into the postseason without several vets around to anchor the team. I can see Mullins still being traded but not Mountcastle.