The 2024 Trade Deadline

Crochet wants load management rules an an extension for any team that trades for him. WSox supposedly furious thinking it will tank his value. Interesting that he may not opt to pitch in a teams postseason, at least according to his request.

“Why would I want to get a guy who doesn’t want to pitch in the playoffs?” an anonymous general manager told ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

White Sox unhappy after star Garrett Crochet makes unusual trade demands (msn.com)

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Now, I have no idea if this is true or not, but I've seen it mentioned more than once and I wouldn't put it past the incredibly cheap Jerry Reinsdorf. There was the mention that the White Sox may try to attach Benintendi to either Robert or Crochet. It's obviously a horrible move from a baseball standpoint, but miserly owners gonna miser.

Benintendi's remaining contract is 

'24 remainder of his 16.5M

'25 16.5M

'26 16.5M

'27 14.5M 

The WS wrote the definitive handbook on how to screw up a really promising team an contracts like this one are exhibit A. I wouldn’t put it past them to try, but I don’t  see Elias going anywhere near something like that mess. 

I remember reading a good bit of BP snark that Andrew Benintendi's was the most forgettable, lamest 5-year contract the moment the ink dried.

It is just bad debt to be moved around on books.     Fedde and Benintendi for a PTBNL...who says no?     That one @RZNJ is the one who should sign the 1-day contract with the Orioles to get to be traded for Fedde.

12 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Crochet wants load management rules an an extension for any team that trades for him. WSox supposedly furious thinking it will tank his value. Interesting that he may not opt to pitch in a teams postseason, at least according to his request.

“Why would I want to get a guy who doesn’t want to pitch in the playoffs?” an anonymous general manager told ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

White Sox unhappy after star Garrett Crochet makes unusual trade demands (msn.com)

Honestly, reading that story really made me lose interest in Crochet. Shows he is willing to sabotage his current team and that he will be a prima donna expecting special treatment from his new team. Threatening to boycott the playoffs is ludicrous. That would be the whole point of trading for him. 

Seems like that whole organization is just toxic and I don't want any part of it. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Personally, I do not feel bad for the White Sox. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Honestly, reading that story really made me lose interest in Crochet. Shows he is willing to sabotage his current team and that he will be a prima donna expecting special treatment from his new team. Threatening to boycott the playoffs is ludicrous. That would be the whole point of trading for him. 

Seems like that whole organization is just toxic and I don't want any part of it. 

And if his arm blows out due to him being pushed way beyond his previous workload where does that leave him and his career? Or should that not be his concern?

I thought O's fans would be a little sympathetic regarding Crochet's situation given what happened once upon a time to Chris Tillman. Buck rid him and rid him until the arm gave out and he never got his big payday despite being an all-star and starting playoff games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

If Texas is selling go get playoff warrior Eovaldi!

Not necessarily, Lorenzen was expendable. Eovaldi, Scherzer, Heaney, Gray, Dunning, DeGrom/Mahle returning soon. Lorenzen might of just been a guy they could move. If you recall they moved Ragans last year. But we shall see. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I honestly don't think Pache is going anywhere. His inclusion in the deal was not arbitrary, IMO. The FO sees some use for him, potentially as a bench weapon in the playoffs.

I'm sure must of us recall how lethal Jarrod Dyson was for the Royals in 2014 as a late inning defensive sub in CF. He single-handedly took a bunch of runs away from us in that series.

I get this feeling too. Sort of like a Jorge Mateo of the outfield.

Elias doesn't leak anything.  So it's always the guys we aren't tied to at all.  So that would be Anderson, Kikucki, and Fedde as the obvious choices.  Maybe a not so obvious choice would be Bassitt or a contender-contender bat for pitcher trade.  

32 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

This may be the logical conclusion of this pitch-count madness that befell MLB. The top starters will start putting them into their contracts. Those who can, will. And there will be suitors, believe me.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias doesn't leak anything.  So it's always the guys we aren't tied to at all.  So that would be Anderson, Kikucki, and Fedde as the obvious choices.  Maybe a not so obvious choice would be Bassitt or a contender-contender bat for pitcher trade.  

Did you put money on us getting Kikuchi?

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

And if his arm blows out due to him being pushed way beyond his previous workload where does that leave him and his career? Or should that not be his concern?

I thought O's fans would be a little sympathetic regarding Crochet's situation given what happened once upon a time to Chris Tillman. Buck rid him and rid him until the arm gave out and he never got his big payday despite being an all-star and starting playoff games.

I wonder what he'd say if the White Sox were in the thick of it. 

It's a double edged sword but probably easier for him to make the declarative statement while in a different locker room. Generally speaking, I wouldn't want anything to do with a guy who publicly states he won't pitch in the post-season without an extension. 

• Upvote 1