The 2024 Trade Deadline

9 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

They clearly need a closer. Even the good version of Kimbrel couldn’t be trusted in 1 run save situations. No way you can rely on him against good teams down the stretch or in the playoffs. Every base runner he allows is an automatic double too. 

They need more people that can throw the ball well - starter, reliever, whatever.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

They need more people that can throw the ball well - starter, reliever, whatever.

I don't think it's likely but the team needs two relievers added tomorrow. At a minimum the team needs at least one high leverage bullpen arm assuming Coulombe is coming back. And a starting pitcher too so the bullpen isn't always taxed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzball22 said:

The team needs to much. Go with what we got and see how it works. I dont want to sell the farm to get a #1/#2 starter and a closer. Yes we lose Burns but lets see what we can buy for next year.

The team needs a starter, a closer, and a right-handed bat. I wouldn't call that too much especially since you could get all three in one trade. Stating it has to be a #1 or #2 is tough because I don't think that there are 40 true #1/#2 pitchers in baseball and we already have two of them. We don't know what we have in Bautista as he comes from from injury so I am more likely to give up something of value for a good closer. I have to believe that we are not in on Fedde and others #3/#4 starters because we are either talking to a team about a top level arm (Detroit/Chicago) or we are working on a multiple player package. I think the Orioles make two separate trades tomorrow and get all three.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Giants sold Soler. Snell might be available. 

Mouncastle for Snell makes sense as the framework.  

I think the Giants are set at first base, but maybe as part of a three-way with Houston or Pittsburgh.

8 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I think the Giants are set at first base, but maybe as part of a three-way with Houston or Pittsburgh.

A couple things,

- if you’re the Giants you have to make that trade. You get to dump a 3 year deal to a player that has like a .400 OPS the last two months. 

- it goes to show how expensive the current market is. Maybe the Giants, or some other team, will have interest in Mountcastle, and we could get a SP or RP for this year. 

- it’s not exactly a sell for the Giants because they needed a reliever Luke Jackson has been lights out recently. 9:1 K/BB ratio. Finding his groove in his first year back from TJ. Dude was a good reliever before.

- Mountcastle fits at 1B/DH in one of the spots for them.

- Alex Cobb is nearing a return for them, but just had a setback in his last start with a blister