The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Named most overrated player in MLB in a poll of other players.

So naturally he will become a .850 OPS monster once he gets on whatever juice the Yankees give their players.  Not implying cheating but rather that weird bump so many players get from playing in pinstripes.

I think that is almost entirely due to this.

BPrCZjRD0mt6xJJragqAew0e.jpg?$Background

Just now, Ceciltrav said:

Wonder what three over hyped prospect are going back to Miami?

Agustin Ramirez is a solid get. I kind of had my eye on him as a potential guy if the Cubs moved Taillon to the Yankees. He's a power over hit catching prospect who should be solid behind the plate. Not a top 100 guy, but I bet he'd be in some people's top 150.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Crochet saying he would need a contract extension to pitch on October. I didn't realize guys could boycott the playoffs for contract purposes.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/garrett-crochet-trade-rumors-white-sox-ace-could-demand-contract-extension-if-he-lands-with-contender/

If he wants an extension I don’t see that as a problem, it just means he wants to stay in one place and is willing to stay with one team.  Not sure why that’s a l. Issue.

On 7/26/2024 at 8:48 AM, Roll Tide said:

Have you ever caught a ball in your glove with a broken finger? 

im guessing not …. But I have it was only competitive softball and I was pitching. It was excruciating on anything hit solidly back at me. Thankfully it subsided in a week without playing. Mine was a fracture of the ring finger at the knuckle. The 5th meta carpal is the bone behind the pinky in your hand. So I’m imagining it might not be as band depending on the grade of the break. 

Should have had your team’s trainer numb your finger. That’s definitely what is going to happen at the ML level. 

5 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

If he wants an extension I don’t see that as a problem, it just means he wants to stay in one place and is willing to stay with one team.  Not sure why that’s a l. Issue.

He has an injury history and 2 more years under contract while having throw by far the most innings he has ever thrown in a year. You're asking a team to make not only a huge prospect investment but a huge financial investment with a ton of uncertainty based on 3 months. If he tears it up next year too, then by all means ask for you mega contract.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Should have had your team’s trainer numb your finger. That’s definitely what is going to happen at the ML level. 

No … not really. If you did the break would never heal. Everytime the ball came into the glove with any force it certainly aggravated the fracture and disrupted the healing process.

17 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

If he wants a deal that will guarantee him something that approximates what he'd earn in arbitration I'd seriously consider it.

I bet he wants something more substantial.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Nothing wrong with wanting an extension. Refusing to pitch in October without one is crazy.

• Upvote 2

The Baltimore Orioles are not done. They want to add a reliever, preferably left-handed, a right-handed hitting outfielder to replace Austin Hays and yes, maybe another starting pitcher, according to sources briefed on their plans.

After acquiring Zach Eflin, who is under contract for next season at $18 million, the Orioles are not opposed to acquiring a rental starter. Jack Flaherty, Yusei Kikuchi, Blake Snell and Frankie Montasall fall into that category. Teams view Snell as likely to opt out after this season, as long as he is healthy.

In the outfield, the Orioles added Cristian Pache in the Hays deal, along with reliever Seranthony Domínguez. Pache is a right-handed hitter, but his career batting average is .179. A role player such as Tommy Pham or Kevin Pillar would help provide greater balance. All of the Orioles’ other outfielders are left-handed except Anthony Santander, a switch-hitter.

Domínguez gives the Orioles another right-handed reliever who is tough on righties to go with Yennier Cano. The left side of the ‘pen, with Cionel Perez, Keegan Akin and recently demoted starter Cole Irvin, is not as strong.

- Rosenthal today 

• Upvote 3

After a busy Friday ahead of the trade deadline, the Baltimore Orioles are reportedly still working on making some moves before Tuesday.

Per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal, the Orioles are looking to add a left-handed reliever, a right-handed hitting outfielder and a starting pitcher.

The report comes after Baltimore traded outfielder Austin Hayes to the Philadelphia Phillies for right-handed pitcher Seranthony Domínguez and outfielder Christian Pache. The Orioles also added a starting pitcher on Friday, landing Zach Eflin from the Tampa Bay Rays for three prospects.

Similar to above … let’s see what happens 

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Irvin is pretty much unpitchable even in a long man role right now. Would be ideal to add another starter and have Suarez take that spot. 

Basallo , Stowers, Povich and Irvin for Miller and Rooker

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Basallo , Stowers, Povich and Irvin for Miller and Rooker

I'm not sure why Oakland would want Irvin back, but we'd still need to add more to get both of them. I'd like to do something bold like this though, along with another rental SP.