The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I bet White Sox fans are looking at the return Miami got for Rogers and wondering wtf went wrong with the Fedde/Kopech/Pham trade lol.

We are but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t cracking up a little at the package the O’s just gave up for Rogers.

I'm disappointed we gave up Stowers in this deal.  Norby for Rogers seems about right.  Norby and Stowers for Rogers and Nardi would have been fine.

I think we overpaid here but enough teams seemed to like the upside of Rogers that maybe we're getting something a little better than I currently think.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

At this point with how this deadline is going... I'm struggling to be optimistic and may be a little overly negative.

I can't believe after last year, that Elias would do this.

I absolutely get it. It's tough watching guys we have been coveting going to other teams. I still want the "my splitter is a gift from God" guy from the Reds. 

2 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

We are but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t cracking up a little at the package the O’s just gave up for Rogers.

It certainly seems like a lot, but the Kikuchi trade last night also seemed pretty lopsided. Bidding wars result that way sometimes, it just doesn't seem like there was much of one for Fedde. I'm genuinely baffled as to what happened there. 

Maybe there's a wink wink nod nod "deal" for Scott in place if Miami isn't happy with other offers by 6PM lol. A sort of overpay now for an underpay later. IDK, just making up rationale in my head.

Rogers is fine as a 5th starter and is under control for 2 more years so I guess it’s fine even if it’s an overpay. But if they give up those assets for him without addressing the bullpen any further, that is not fine. 

5 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

I would have much rather done Norby, Stowers, and maybe Beavers for Fedde.  That would blow what WS got out of the,water.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would have much rather done Norby, Stowers, and maybe Beavers for Fedde.  That would blow what WS got out of the,water.

100%, Chris Getz sucks at this and our owner is a dinosaur so is what it is 

34 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yeah, I agree. I still like the Eflin acquisition. But I'm infinitely higher on Eflin than Rogers, and it feels that somehow Elias gave up more than Rogers. Tell me how this is good? 

image.png.ad5e28f40f9432413cc7926a22f15c85.png

Is anyone saying it is good? It's not. He's struggled this year, until recently. If you could remove April from your chart, you would see stuff that would make you happy. That's what we're going after. A lefty would also be helped out by...a huge, deep wall in Left field. A good defense (despite our odd errors lately that I certainly believe will stop). And also a group of pitching coaches that seem to have a knack for turning guys around if they have it in him. And Rogers has it in him, he wasn't far from being a Cy Young winner his rookie year, not long ago. 

Our org isn't making this deal if we don't think he can be a solid pitcher for the rest of this year, and '25 & '26. That doesn't mean he will, but I hope they're proven to be right.

13 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Rogers is fine as a 5th starter and is under control for 2 more years so I guess it’s fine even if it’s an overpay. But if they give up those assets for him without addressing the bullpen any further, that is not fine. 

Suarez goes to the bullpen, that should help.  I was hoping we got Scott to replace Kimbrel.

13 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Just a reminder, the trade deadline is at 6p EST... not at 3:30 or 4 like it normally is.  Plenty of time for other stuff to happen.