Jorge Lopez Clears Waivers: Any interest?

Radagast

I've always rooted for Jorge and he loved his time here.  Not sure what the analytics are telling the FO, but I assume they are fine and something our pitching program can make better.  I don't see us giving him a major league job right off the bat.  Who would be option or release?  A minor league deal with an opt out would be ideal for us, and maybe for Jorge as well.  One wildcard in my scenario is whether Jorge just wants to be with his family and slow it all down for awhile.  I think that it what I would do if I was him and not a chubby, 5 foot 10 inch 62 year old who can't barely even throw a rock. 

Posted (edited)

I like Jorge. I could sort of see them picking him up to temporarily eat some innings pre-deadline, if Povich goes back down immediately. 

Can't bring Vespi back for 10 days, and not sure who else they'd use from AAA right now. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

His numbers with the Mets were actually decent especially his month of April with a 1.42 ERA. His overall 3.76 is mostly due to has lost 3 appearances.

he obviously had success here and we certainly need arms and seems like it would be worth a flyer

• Upvote 1

Lopez was on a little $2 million contract and passed thru waivers. I think that tells us what teams think of where he's at mentally after his outburst and glove throwing incident. Trashing his team afterwards is certainly not something most GMs like, even if it's not their team.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I like Jorge. I could sort of see them picking him up to temporarily eat some innings pre-deadline, if Povich goes back down immediately. 

Can't bring Vespi back for 10 days, and not sure who else they'd use from AAA right now. 

That makes good sense.  It may also help us keep him should he have to go back on waivers and clears.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Lopez was on a little $2 million contract and passed thru waivers. I think that tells us what teams think of where he's at mentally after his outburst and glove throwing incident. Trashing his team afterwards is certainly not something most GMs like, even if it's not their team.

Thank you Tony.  Yeah, I don't have much of a feel for that whole scenario that took place.  The glove throwing seems like nothing compared to the bat tossing, dugout trashing stuff we see every season.   And then there's the human side behind the outburst, etc., as we've all read.  I hope he gets a chance somewhere. 

Posted (edited)

I can see us kicking the tires.  We know his mental state.  Our coaches know him.  We are desperate for bullpen help that wont cost us a Mayo at the trade deadline date.  

He likely wont be as bad as Kimbrel is right now.   Kimbrel seems to be in the vapors stage of his career.  He is out of gas and getting by on the fumes in the fuel tank.  Soon those will be totally gone and he will fall off the shelf and splat.  Kimbrel is a sugar cube dropped in hot tea.  He holds his form for a couple of seconds then.......boom he disolves.  

Edited by Gurgi

Posted (edited)

He insists he said "teammate", not "team", calling himself a bad teammate. He wasn't using a translator. Tossing the glove was dumb, but I'm willing to give him a pass based on what he's been going through, and how terribly run the Mets are. 

He's a good dude who has struggled with some emotional stuff. Not saying we just give him a pass for everything, but he's certainly eligible for a second chance IMO compared to some of the other bozos in the game who have literally physically hurt people and continue to get chances. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Radagast said:

Thank you Tony.  Yeah, I don't have much of a feel for that whole scenario that took place.  The glove throwing seems like nothing compared to the bat tossing, dugout trashing stuff we see every season.   And then there's the human side behind the outburst, etc., as we've all read.  I hope he gets a chance somewhere. 

I think the trashing of his team in the locker room to reporters hurts him worse, but I know MLB doesn't like players throwing things into the stands in anger. I do understand there's a potential human element behind his actions, but team's may just want to see that resolved before going forward with him.

But, as I said when it happened, Elias and Hyde knows him way better than I do so I'm fine with whatever way the Orioles decide. On the mound, he does look like he may be able to help a team, but they just have to figure out whether the orange is worth the squeeze.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the trashing of his team in the locker room to reporters hurts him worse, but I know MLB doesn't like players throwing things into the stands in anger. I do understand there's a potential human element behind his actions, but team's may just want to see that resolved before going forward with him.

But, as I said when it happened, Elias and Hyde knows him way better than I do so I'm fine with whatever way the Orioles decide. On the mound, he does look like he may be able to help a team, but they just have to figure out whether the orange is worth the squeeze.

Yes indeed, excellent points. 

10 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I can see us kicking the tires.  We know his mental state.  Our coaches know him.  We are desperate for bullpen help that wont cost us a Mayo at the trade deadline date.  

He likely wont be as bad as Kimbrel is right now.   Kimbrel seems to be in the vapors stage of his career.  He is out of gas and getting by on the fumes in the fuel tank.  Soon those will be totally gone and he will fall off the shelf and splat.  Kimbrel is a sugar cube dropped in hot tea.  He holds his form for a couple of seconds then.......boom he disolves.  

Excellent metaphor!  We will need a more solid bullpen come October, which additions from outside the organization. 

Nothing wrong with bringing him back in. He's a known commodity. By all accounts, an excellent teammate while here. And it's clear that something was lost in translation. The guy has been through a lot with his son. He deserves some empathy and a second chance. And I think he's worthy of a roster spot over the circus that has occupied the last bullpen spot...and arguably more than Akin, who let's be frank - is about as inconsistent as they come. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Nothing wrong with bringing him back in. He's a known commodity. By all accounts, an excellent teammate while here. And it's clear that something was lost in translation. The guy has been through a lot with his son. He deserves some empathy and a second chance. And I think he's worthy of a roster spot over the circus that has occupied the last bullpen spot...and arguably more than Akin, who let's be frank - is about as inconsistent as they come. 

He can't be worse than Tate. That low 90s sinker ball of Tate's is just not going to get it done.