Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

He’s left handed and has two option years remaining after this year. So while we may not ever plan for him to be in our rotation the next two years, he will probably start 10ish games for us a year as our 6th SP. 

It’ll be nice to dip into the minors for a LH SP and a RH SP as needed with Povich and McDermott.

We have the wall and need LHP. Povich will still be a big part of our future. Look what we’ve dealt away for Irvin and Rogers. 

Threw a ton of sweepers in this game, at 28%, compared to 10% in his MLB stint. Also heavier sinker usage at 16%, compared to 7% MLB level, and he ditched the cutter completely. 

Those are both pitches that are best used against left handed hitters, maybe they had a bunch of lefties in the lineup but I expect part of the plan is to use them against righties more. The sweeper is his best breaking pitch IMO - his curve is solid but he has a hard time landing it in the zone and he doesn’t get chases on it down. Makes sense to throw more sweepers.

I don’t love throwing the sinker more to righties, but he does need something to wrinkle off the four seamer. He has terrible location glove side with the cutter so maybe he’s just better off with arm side sinkers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope he can still be more than #RisingTide Bruce Zimmermann.     There's a world of baseball before the offseason, but relying on the near certainty of Burnes leaving I still kind of like him in the 5th game next year.     Some clubs SP5 is really just a streamer until or unless they find somebody who can pop to the next level.

And then if a club like the 2024 Yankees gets the Luis Gil scenario, the GM dangles Nestor Cortes' name at the deadline anyway.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s left handed and has two option years remaining after this year. So while we may not ever plan for him to be in our rotation the next two years, he will probably start 10ish games for us a year as our 6th SP. 

It’ll be nice to dip into the minors for a LH SP and a RH SP as needed with Povich and McDermott.

We have the wall and need LHP. Povich will still be a big part of our future. Look what we’ve dealt away for Irvin and Rogers. 

I note that Roster Resource has McDermott & Povich ranked 1, 2 in all of AAA right now. So our minors pitching might be thin in terms of quantity, but that "power ranking" ticks the Quality box!

3 minutes ago, now said:

I note that Roster Resource has McDermott & Povich ranked 1, 2 in all of AAA right now. So our minors pitching might be thin in terms of quantity, but that "power ranking" ticks the Quality box!

Unfortunately, that ranking might be because they've accumulated some impressive AAA stats, but that hasn't translated enough to be in the MLB for us.  I'd guess a bunch of guys ranked lower than them in the roster resource ranking have had more success at the MLB level.  I do really like roster resource though.  It's my go to.  

My hope is that Povich turns into a #5 SP type for us just with refining his pitches and being a LHP in OPACY.  McDermott is good SP depth, but might actually be able to crack the MLB squad if he could be a RP option.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are also in a long stretch without an off day, so they could just be temporarily going to a 6-man rotation.

I really hope the corresponding move is Rogers IL/optioned to go do what Hall and Wells did in-season last year, but if that were the case they probably would have done it after his start to get a fresh arm. 

I’d be shocked if they were calling up Povich and kicking Suarez back into the pen, so I’m guessing it’s temporary 6-man rotation until the next off day.

The last we saw of Povich it didn’t look like he should throw another MLB pitch this year. I’m hoping that he is only being called up again so quickly because they think they made an adjustment. He was throwing a lot more sinkers/sweepers in his most recent AAA starts, so maybe that’s it. Otherwise, I’d rather give Brandon Young a shot.

• Upvote 2

I guess it is worth noting that after his turn tonight Burnes on 4 days rest would be Wednesday at the Mets and he would miss the 4-game Astros series, but if Povich is a momentary SP6 then Burnes pitches Game 1 at OPACY against the Astros, a scenario we would all like to see in 2 months.

How quick will Hyde's hook with Burnes be tonight?

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

They are also in a long stretch without an off day, so they could just be temporarily going to a 6-man rotation.

I really hope the corresponding move is Rogers IL/optioned to go do what Hall and Wells did in-season last year, but if that were the case they probably would have done it after his start to get a fresh arm. 

I’d be shocked if they were calling up Povich and kicking Suarez back into the pen, so I’m guessing it’s temporary 6-man rotation until the next off day.

Any plan that doesn’t call for Burnes and Eflin pitching every 5 days is a bad plan. Need as many starts out of them as possible.

• Upvote 1