Its always easier in hindsight, but letting Kyle Gibson go, could end up being a glaring error.

Roy Firestone

It was clear (to me at any rate) at the time and in hindsight that Elias had a strict budget cap due to the pending sale.  He chose to spend his limited 2024 budget increase on Kimbrel and Burnes which was completely justifiable.  Burnes is only $2 million more than Gibson this season and I don't think anybody would prefer Gibson in that scenario.  Hindsight works both ways.

1 hour ago, MDK02 said:

I don’t know if Cards will be selling but he could be had for probably very little at the deadline, I would suspect. 

Gibson could be had for very little ?  If the Cardinals decide to sell  & Orioles are only interested buyer for him , then yeah .  
The problem is that there is starting pitching shortage. If other buyers join in , Gibson’s price goes up

Michael Lorenzen is the one that doesn't make sense to me. Only got 4.5 mil and was out there until very late. Sub 3 ERA currently.

And people saying "hindsight," you had to be blind to expect two injuries waiting to happen in Means and Bradish to last the season.

6 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Michael Lorenzen is the one that doesn't make sense to me. Only got 4.5 mil and was out there until very late. Sub 3 ERA currently.

And people saying "hindsight," you had to be blind to expect two injuries waiting to happen in Means and Bradish to last the season.

Lorenzen was asking for the moon. Just because he signed for that doesn't mean that's what he wanted.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Gibson signed a 1 year , $13,000,000 contract with the Cardinals, including $13,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000. Last night he 2-hit the Cubs  and shut them out...and has pitched pretty well for the Redbirds. with a 3.44 ERA...He's an innings eater and is usually...pretty solid..For a middle market team like the Orioles, 12-13 million might be a big investment...but right now, letting him walk seems like it was short sighted. Plus, he was a great teammate and veteran presence in the clubhouse..

agree 100%

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Gibson signed a 1 year , $13,000,000 contract with the Cardinals, including $13,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000. Last night he 2-hit the Cubs  and shut them out...and has pitched pretty well for the Redbirds. with a 3.44 ERA...He's an innings eater and is usually...pretty solid..For a middle market team like the Orioles, 12-13 million might be a big investment...but right now, letting him walk seems like it was short sighted. Plus, he was a great teammate and veteran presence in the clubhouse..

agree 100%

15 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Or to expect Wells to pitch an entire season.

I guess it would mean bad fortune for Aaron Nola, but watching Driveline and pitch labs affecting the game unfold, I kind of feel like Kyle Gibson has an outside chance to be the last pitcher in MLB history to attain 2000 career innings pitched that hasn't already done so.

Lance Lynn and Chris Sale should beat him there - Gausman 1612 and Nola 1510 next guys behind him if they have 400-500 more innings in them.