Maton Up, Stowers Down

DirtyBird

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Maton has been good in AAA. 

.294/.387/.483 - .869 OPS

But why him? Maybe they think he can regain his 2022 form, because 2023 was abysmal. 

They probably care more about Stowers hitting every day than Maton.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Maton has been good in AAA. 

.294/.387/.483 - .869 OPS

But why him? Maybe they think he can regain his 2022 form, because 2023 was abysmal. 

Because Westburg is probably out a couple days and they aren’t willing to use Gunnar at 3B

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

They probably care more about Stowers hitting every day than Maton.

Right, I get that. You'd think they'd want to keep up Stowers especially in Yankee Stadium with that joke of a RF wall with 2 righties coming up. But considering just how little Hyde has been using him, I suppose Maton is fine to stay on the bench.

Right, I get that. You'd think they'd want to keep up Stowers especially in Yankee Stadium with that joke of a RF wall with 2 righties coming up. But considering just how little Hyde has been using him, I suppose Maton is fine to stay on the bench.

I think they want an IF.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Because Westburg is probably out a couple days and they aren’t willing to use Gunnar at 3B

Ramon Urias plays 3rd. But I suppose they want a LHH 3B because of the 2 righties coming up. That said, Ramon Urias has reverse splits. And he's better than Maton, tbh.

Ramon Urias plays 3rd. But I suppose they want a LHH 3B because of the 2 righties coming up. That said, Ramon Urias has reverse splits. And he's better than Maton, tbh.

Ramon will likely play and Mateo will sit against the RHP I'd guess.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

This, and Stowers can't even crack the lineup vs RHP so time for him to gets some reps in at AAA.

Just now, Malike said:

I think they want an IF.

So, the calculus seems:

Ramon Urias (3B, SS, 2B) who hits righties better than lefties + Connor Norby

OR

Nick Maton (3B, SS, 2B) who is also a reverse splits guy that hits lefties better than righties + Mateo at 2B

I don't know, I think I'd rather give Norby more time up here. But maybe they didn't want to burn the option and think Westburg's injury isn't bad at all and could be back tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is where Norby’s lack of defensive ability hurts him, but hopefully this is a sign Westburg isn’t going to be out that long since it’s not him going on the IL. 

Norby can’t come up unless they put Westburg on IL.  It most likely means they don’t think it that bad injury.

• Upvote 2