This series is an example of why you don’t trade any of Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo, unless is for an ACE

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion even if it has a fair probability of being accurate.    The puzzle for Elias is ALWC Game 3 - what if the Twins got Verlander or Scherzer and the matchup that day is Hall of Fame guy v. Cade Povich or Dean Kremer.      Everyone in baseball knows they can't do it 35 games like younger guys can, but can they still be great for 10?

Sometimes I over credit the community knowing Orioles lore.    Scott Feldman was a Jordan Lyles-Kyle Gibson-Cole Irvin type pitcher who briefly helped the 2013 Orioles just miss the playoffs.    He was okay, and some felt like the winter before 2014 we needed to keep him.    Jeff Luhnow did something Mike Elias hasn't yet and gave an ordinary pitcher a multi-year contract.     The 2014 Orioles were great.

I think you and I share the hope Elias will be going for more than ordinary next month.

I know who Scott Feldman is I've been a fan since '88. I just struggle to see any relation to him and Corbin Burnes.

On to your Verlander/Scherzer point. I surely hope that the Twins or any other team we face turn to either one to beat us with their season on the line. That's a big time win for us in my book!

But no I don't want Cade Povich, Cole Irvin, Albert Suarez, or Dean Kremer as our number 3 in the playoffs. That seems like a severely risky move that is unnecessary at this point. I don't think we need to continue to hedge with the hopes of better odds in the future. We may not get a better opportunity to win it all than this one.

Yes, I hope Elias switches MOs and goes big game hunting this year. I don't think we can rest on our laurels because the Yanks and Phills are probably going to add at the deadline.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

We haven’t have a starter go 5 IP in 4 straight games. I don’t think there is anything wrong with picking up the phone. Our bullpen cannot continue this pace.

GRod went 5 IP last night.

The Os need to get away from the 6 man rotation.  It’s a bad idea and always has been.

Last night was one really bad start by Grayson. But it is another example of his inconsistency. He’s prone to a blow up start every now and again, which is nothing too terrible about that.

However, it shows that he is not an ace currently, despite all his potential/talent.

I know some do not believe that we need to retain Burnes after the season. And some even feel that Grayson can anchor our staff as the #1 next year.

But think about it - Look at Burnes performance and consistency and then look at Grayson’s (who probably has just as much ability save for command). There is a noticeable difference. Which is fine, but that is what separates a true #1 from a 2/3.

IMO, there is a significant risk with entering the postseason with Grayson as #2 and Irvin/Suarez/Kremer as #3/4. IMO we need to raise the floor on our starter’s performance into give ourselves greater odds for success in October.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Last night was one really bad start by Grayson. But it is another example of his inconsistency. He’s prone to a blow up start every now and again, which is nothing too terrible about that.

However, it shows that he is not an ace currently, despite all his potential/talent.

I know some do not believe that we need to retain Burnes after the season. And some even feel that Grayson can anchor our staff as the #1 next year.

But think about it - Look at Burnes performance and consistency and then look at Grayson’s (who probably has just as much ability save for command). There is a noticeable difference. Which is fine, but that is what separates a true #1 from a 2/3.

IMO, there is a significant risk with entering the postseason with Grayson as #2 and Irvin/Suarez/Kremer as #3/4. IMO we need to raise the floor on our starter’s performance into give ourselves greater odds for success in October.

Since coming back up last year, he has given up less than 3 ER or less in 22 of his 26 starts.  I think he has been or pretty damn consistent.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Command is a pretty significant part of pitching ability

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

An overreaction by you and others?

You can’t keep trying for post of the year. You already have that locked down. 

Moving on… Verlander as a trade example of when the Astros got him should never really be referred to because that was a once in MLB history type of move. Seriously. Not being hard on anyone. 

We do need a game 3 SP. Could that be a rental?  Ideally it would be a LH SP. We gotta see what’s available at the deadline, but that could be Snell or Montgomery. I don’t think they’d cost one of the big 3. Cease or Eovaldi could be available too. 

We have this fixation as fans that we have to plug our holes with the best option in MLB. You can’t always get Robbie Alomar for your need at 2nd Base. Just because we lost a guy that throws 103 doesn’t mean we need a guy that throws 103. Just because we lost Bradish doesn’t mean we turn Jesus Luzardo into and Ace. He’s not. 

Our needs in order of importance… Game 3 SP, High End High Leverage reliever, Set up man

8 minutes ago, mddisney said:

I would like another thread to project the ideal lineup in 2025-2026.  That will pretty clearly tell you who we have space for and who we do not.  The latter is optimal to trade.  

Mayo at first, RF or DH

Holliday is either second or SS.

Gunnar is either SS or third.

Westburg is either 3rd or 2nd.

Basallo is back up C, first and DH.

Adley C or DH.

Cowser is in the OF….one of Stowers and/or Kjerstad joins him.

Norby in a UTI role.

Now, obviously we aren’t likely to use a totally homegrown lineup but that is what they are looking at.

CF is a question mark. 

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Since coming back up last year, he has given up less than 3 ER or less in 22 of his 26 starts.  I think he has been or pretty damn consistent.  

You don't acknowledge a discernible difference in the consistent quality this season of Grayson and Burnes?