Orioles add Garrett Cooper on MIL deal

Sports Guy

Looks like minor league depth to me, especially if they plan to bring up Mayo from AAA. His EVs have dropped over the last few years and at 33, he looks pretty done as any kind of regular. As a 1B/DH type, I don't see a role for him here as long as Mountcastle is on the team.

AAA is in need of 1B depth so it's a nice fit. Cook can go split time at 1B, 2B, LF, RF, and maybe even give him some shots at 3B to see if he's playable there once Mayo leaves. I'd do the same thing with Norby and give him some looks at 3B just to see if it has any chance of working. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Watch your back, Ryan Mountcastle.

I was actually wondering if Mountcastle may be part of a trade for pitching. I would hurt for Mounty if he was traded, but to be realistic, he's probably at peak value right now; he has more value than both Ohearn and Santander. 1B is a WEAK position across MLB right now. A trade centered around Mounty and one of Cowser/Kjerstad may bring back a really good controllable pitcher right now

Ohearn and Mayo take over 1B duties?

From MLBTraderumors’article on the move:

”Cooper is on his third organization of the 2024 season. The righty-hitting first baseman signed a minor league deal with the Cubs and broke camp. While he turned in an impressive .270/.341/.432 batting line with Chicago, the front office was alarmed by his 13 strikeouts in 41 plate appearances. The Cubs designated Cooper for assignment and dealt him to the Red Sox in a cash trade.

The regression that the Cubs anticipated indeed came to pass in Boston. Cooper hit only .171/.227/.229 in 75 trips to the plate. Boston DFA him and released him a couple weeks ago. The former All-Star has lingered on the free agent market since then.”

Cooper is never going to Camden unless he buys a ticket.

Edit: how do I change the font color? This black on black is annoying.

Edited by Philip

43 minutes ago, Philip said:

”Cooper is on his third organization of the 2024 season. The righty-hitting first baseman signed a minor league deal with the Cubs and broke camp. While he turned in an impressive .270/.341/.432 batting line with Chicago, the front office was alarmed by his 13 strikeouts in 41 plate appearances. The Cubs designated Cooper for assignment and dealt him to the Red Sox in a cash trade.

The regression that the Cubs anticipated indeed came to pass in Boston. Cooper hit only .171/.227/.229 in 75 trips to the plate. Boston DFA him and released him a couple weeks ago. The former All-Star has lingered on the free agent market since then.”

Cooper is never going to Camden unless he buys a ticket.

When you copy text from a site and are pasting it in the field here, choose "paste as plain text".

Cooper is never going to Camden unless he buys a ticket.

thank you Malike.

“Still brilliant, but now, in legible font!”

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I was actually wondering if Mountcastle may be part of a trade for pitching. I would hurt for Mounty if he was traded, but to be realistic, he's probably at peak value right now; he has more value than both Ohearn and Santander. 1B is a WEAK position across MLB right now. A trade centered around Mounty and one of Cowser/Kjerstad may bring back a really good controllable pitcher right now

Ohearn and Mayo take over 1B duties?

That actually makes sense.  It won't be popular among the regular fanbase or on the Hangout if Mayo starts out cold.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That actually makes sense.  It won't be popular among the regular fanbase or on the Hangout if Mayo starts out cold.

I guess Cooper is the back up plan if that happens?  Urias, Santander, and westburg could give you RH ABs at 1B too

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I imagine it may not be popular in the locker room either. That's a small worry I have with any potential trades of an active roster guy. How will it affect team chemistry? Obviously, if it helps the team win, I'm all for it. But I imagine a lot of these guys would be pretty bummed if one of their buddies gets dealt.