I know nobody wants to hear this but......

vab

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

It is just a real shame that the Os are going through all of these elbows.  Take away all of the elbows going back to last year with Felix and I would say the Os are a lock to get to the WS and would have a great chance to win it all.

I haven't seen this many injuries from a teams top guys in such a short amount of time in maybe.....forever.

I am starting to wonder if it is something the Os are doing as far as their training.   Trying to obtain too much spin, revs, and velocity.

I am a big Colts fan and for years we have complained about all of the knee blowouts and hammy injuries they get when playing at home.  Finally the Colts realized that it might be turf related from their home field and replaced it this past spring.  

2023 Rays say hello.

8 hours ago, vab said:

.....there may be just too much to fix here. Right now we're looking at a rotation with one true ace, a young talented SP but still developing, a good-looking rookie but a rookie and two guys who don't belong in anyone's starting rotation at this point. The bullpen is also missing it's best two guys right now and the one back-end guy they still have bears little resemblance to what he was most of last year. To fix all that in an extreme seller's market you're going to have to give up one and maybe two of your best prospects. It's a hard pill to swallow but I don't think it's worth it. This core is still really young wtih years to go before they reach free agency so it's not a do or die situation this year. Now I'm not saying don't do anything and if Elias can get the pieces without giving up a Basallo, Mayo or Holliday great but I'm totally against a desperate overpay. 

Bullpen was pretty good today. How about Baker and Vespi that our AAA replacements and have a collective 1.00 ERA in 17 IP this season. 

It’s just been a bad turn through the rotation against the other three best teams in the AL. Yankees. Astros. CLEV.

We aight.  

They are too good a team for this to continue.  Right now it is something different every night.  They hit and the pitching sucks.  Pitching is good and the bats are cold.  Throw-in some occasional bad defense, 4 unearned runs last night and you get a losing streak.

The 83 O's had 2 seven game losing streaks to keep things in perspective. 

8 hours ago, Philip said:

So Kremer is your #3? Povich? And what about relievers? Who do you or anyone else trust up one run in the 7th, much less in the ninth? Approximately nobody.

Injuries have killed us. Oh well. 

You don’t he adds anyone? 

This pen is not as bad as Texas was last year. They pitched well in playoffs.

You would think the team ERA is 12th in the AL. The playoffs start in a little over 3 months. It’s about getting there. Who is healthy and throwing well 3 months from now is what matters. 

7 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

I think it’s just the Orioles fan in me (and so many others) that has us fearing a tailspin of attrition in which the team collapses entirely and finishes a sub 500 team.

Not saying I can make the statistical case for that but the scar tissue is there.

This group hasn’t burned you though.

This is the biggest test for Elias since the team got good.

The bottom line is the Os need pitching help and they have too much talent in the minors and too many subpar guys in the majors eating up at bats.

You built this farm system up and are so proud of it and now it’s time to use it to its full potential. 

I understand the Holliday injury likely sets him back until after the AS break, at least but assuming he’s hitting (which he has been or he’s been walking a ton) and once he is able to start throwing pain free, he needs to be up here. 

Mayo needs to be up here yesterday. 

It’s just time.  Sitting on ML ready top 10 prospects when below average MLers are playing in front of them just doesn’t make sense. You have a glaring weakness of too many lefties and a manager/GM that just won’t play lefties vs lefties. You have McCann playing way too much. Mayo needs to be up here right now.

And then you need to use the rest of the system(and maybe ML team), not Basallo, and go get the pitching you need.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You don’t he adds anyone? 

This pen is not as bad as Texas was last year. They pitched well in playoffs.

You would think the team ERA is 12th in the AL. The playoffs start in a little over 3 months. It’s about getting there. Who is healthy and throwing well 3 months from now is what matters. 

The Os pen isn’t good. With DC out, they just don’t have any arms you want to rely on. They don’t miss a lot of bats, don’t get a lot of Ks and the walk rate is higher than you want it to be.

Kimbrel is fine but nothing special. He has been exactly what I thought he would be and maybe even a little better than that but hes not what we had last year, which was special.

Cano is better than a dime a dozen guy but not by a ton. 

Baker looks good and maybe he’s poised to have the year some of us thought he would have in 2023 but he has a ways to go to prove that.

9 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

The injuries to Means, Bradish, Kremer, Coloumbe, and Bautista has killed us.  It is very hard to replace that much talent. It may be too much of a loss to overcome to make the playoffs.

The issue is 3 of those injuries were known before February, and weren’t addressed 

Edited by Orioles0615

We've gotten so spoiled with winning over the last several years, a five-game losing streak is like the hot water going off during a shower. Been a while since this happened. Am I worried about our pitching - yes but had that same worry coming into the season. It needs addressing now to the level it can be without ruining the future. I don't know how to do that and hope like hell Elias does.

This June schelule has been a bear. We all knew it would be. Up to this slide, we'd done pretty damn well. Went into New York with our three "lesser" starting pitchers on the bump and left the Sanks A-Crying. They haven't recovered. Unfortunately, maybe that and this stupid schedule, took a lot out of us. Houston is a good team and will get better. I am impressed with Cleveland this year. 

Just get to the dance and take our chances. Still a ways to go for everyone. Still have my orange glasses on.

1 hour ago, Chromehill said:

They are too good a team for this to continue.  Right now it is something different every night.  They hit and the pitching sucks.  Pitching is good and the bats are cold.  Throw-in some occasional bad defense, 4 unearned runs last night and you get a losing streak.

The 83 O's had 2 seven game losing streaks to keep things in perspective. 

The pitching was alright on Tuesday. When else has it been good over the last 3 series? IMO on the contrary it's been sort of awful.

47 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

The issue is 3 of those injuries were known before February, and weren’t addressed 

If only they’d traded for an unquestioned ace and signed an accomplished closer to address the injuries to Bradish and Bautista.

They’d probably be WS contenders if they’d done that.

Edited by e16bball

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If only they’d traded for an unquestioned ace and signed an accomplished closer to address the injuries to Bradish and Bautista.

"Accomplished" wasn't the need. Since that is not what Bautista was before last season. What we needed was effective/very good since that is the void that Bautista left.

7 hours ago, now said:

I've been a fan for a long time too but mostly remember a lot of near misses, not tailspin collapses. 2005 comes to mind (Raffygate, Sammy Sosa, Lee Mazzilli, et al.)... what other seasons are you thinking of, to create scar tissue?

2005 was obviously the big one.

There were also the Mike Hargrove years, where granted, we weren’t contenders by any stretch, but lord could we just collapse.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Trading Drew Rom for Flaherty was not a big swing. It was trading a maybe prospect for a “hope he’s ok” guy with three months before FA.

I am increasingly convinced Mike won’t make any bigger move this season, and what we have is basically what we will have.

Never said it was a big swing, that's the point I was making.  This year he's gotta do better because this team is in desperate need of pitching.