An evening spent with Scott Boras

On 9/5/2024 at 5:30 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Or maybe if you have one of these mega contracts say top 50 contracts in baseball, you have to maintain average production at your position.  If you are below average production, a 2nd below average consecutive year the team could chose to void your contract.  If you are making $30 million/yr, I don't think it's unreasonable to earn your contract by providing average production.  Now all a player has to do is stay alive and be able to sit in the dugout. 

Yeah, I agree something like this might happen some day, but only if the union comes around to believing MLB is on shaky financial footing -- if and when that ever happens.

I don't like the idea of voiding a players' contract then and there, but perhaps performing below a certain level would trigger some contract years in the future to automatically become option years.  Something along those lines.

It's hard to imagine deals like this today, except possibly here and there for players who are known to be very inconsistent.  As long as baseball is considered financially healthy I'm sure the union would push back strongly against deals like this, especially in large numbers.