Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Skubal trade  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

6 minutes ago, kidrock said:

Not sure if better is my argument.  I am arguing that it could be too risky.

What I am saying is that all pitchers in 2024 are at risk for injury (given the rates of arm injuries in the era of baseball).

I would prefer to swing big and shoot for the greatest reward, which IMO Skubal is that. Yes he can break down/wear down (as any pitcher can). But he is also probably the best SP on the market.

IF he is able to stay healthy and continue to perform up to his ability, he makes us the WS favorite. Other than maybe Crochet, who does that?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They won’t even settle for Mayo and Povich.  That’s definitely not all they would ask for.

Well, you're probably right in that they would ask for more... teams typically do just that.  What I meant to say was that proposal would be the Tigers' final ask.  I disagree that the Tigers would not be agreeable to Mayo and Povich... but understand that it's difficult to have any real idea one way or the other.   My guess is Elias would not agree to that, but any deal for Skubal will hurt... a lot.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

I would do Holliday, Stowers, and Norby for Skubal.  We'd get him for 3 postseasons.  He's been neck and neck with Burnes as the best pitcher in the AL.  We'd be the clear favorites for the WS.  At least on the AL side.  Holliday is the one out of the big 3 that I would trade, and he just so happens to currently be ranked the highest.  If we had to toss in one of McDermott, Baumeiser, or DeLeon, I wouldn't let that hold up a deal.  

Burnes and Skubal would be a 1-2 punch that could bring us a ring like Johnson/Schilling did for Arizona.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Well, you're probably right in that they would ask for more... teams typically do just that.  What I meant to say was that proposal would be the Tigers' final ask.  I disagree that the Tigers would not be agreeable to Mayo and Povich... but understand that it's difficult to have any real idea one way or the other.   My guess is Elias would not agree to that, but any deal for Skubal will hurt... a lot.

While I’d hate to give up Mayo, I think Mayo/Povich for Skubal is too much of a no brainer for the Orioles.   Even if Mayo is a power hitting 3B it’s still a no brainer.    

We still would have an infield of Westburg, Henderson, Holliday, Mountcastle/O’Hearn and an outfield with Cowser and Kjerstad with Basallo still in waiting.   Skubal would fit perfectly on top with GRod with Kremer as the #3 going into next year.   Still, a ton a payroll room too.   

Strategically, dealing from depth to address a need.  Seems too easy to me.   

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would do Holliday, Stowers, and Norby for Skubal.  We'd get him for 3 postseasons.  He's been neck and neck with Burnes as the best pitcher in the AL.  We'd be the clear favorites for the WS.  At least on the AL side.  Holliday is the one out of the big 3 that I would trade, and he just so happens to currently be ranked the highest.  If we had to toss in one of McDermott, Baumeiser, or DeLeon, I wouldn't let that hold up a deal.  

Burnes and Skubal would be a 1-2 punch that could bring us a ring like Johnson/Schilling did for Arizona.  

I’d think about this if I were more confident that Mayo was a ML 3B.  I think he probably is but I’d need to know before dealing Holliday.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

If we feel confident in extending Gunnar, then I’d do Holliday for Skubal. I don’t even think you’d need to include Norby nor would I want to since he projects as another 2B/corner outfield option. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I completely understand what Skubal represents, but would be shocked if Elias would agree to deal Holliday for Skubal straight up, much less adding Stowers and Norby+.  But I've been wrong before.

2 minutes ago, CTBear said:

If we feel confident in extending Gunnar, then I’d do Holliday for Skubal. I don’t even think you’d need to include Norby nor would I want to since he projects as another 2B/corner outfield option. 

If another team acquired Holliday they would almost certainly want to try him at SS.  They only reason why he won't play that here is because of Gunnar.  They would get three MLB ready bats in Holliday, Stowers, and Norby.  We'd probably have to toss in pitching as well.  

But bigger point... Holliday is the one out of the big 3 that I would most be ok with trading.  

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

I completely understand what Skubal represents, but would be shocked if Elias would agree to deal Holliday for Skubal straight up, much less adding Stowers and Norby+.  But I've been wrong before.

Skubal has better numbers than Burnes.  You wouldn't want to try our luck with having him for 3 postseasons?  We can be just fine without Holliday.  Look at us now.  But another Ace though...  WS

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If another team acquired Holliday they would almost certainly want to try him at SS.  They only reason why he won't play that here is because of Gunnar.  They would get three MLB ready bats in Holliday, Stowers, and Norby.  We'd probably have to toss in pitching as well.  

But bigger point... Holliday is the one out of the big 3 that I would most be ok with trading.  

Yeah I know the White Sox were adamant about getting pitching prospects back for Cease so it would make sense here too. But when you’re giving up the #1 prospect in the game, I don’t think the other team can be too greedy. And like you said, it’s fair to say his value is much larger with another team who doesn’t currently have a bonafide SS than it is with the Orioles. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Skubal has better numbers than Burnes.  You wouldn't want to try our luck with having him for 3 postseasons?  We can be just fine without Holliday.  Look at us now.  But another Ace though...  WS

Again, I understand what Skubal represents.  Of course I'd want him and agree that he'd be a major addition to boost our fortunes for 2.5 seasons.  I'm just expressing what I think Elias thinks.  I think he'd give up Basallo or Mayo before Holliday... and I have doubts he'd do any of the three.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, CTBear said:

Yeah I know the White Sox were adamant about getting pitching prospects back for Cease so it would make sense here too. But when you’re giving up the #1 prospect in the game, I don’t think the other team can be too greedy. And like you said, it’s fair to say his value is much larger with another team who doesn’t currently have a bonafide SS than it is with the Orioles. 

I'm only giving up one of the big 3 for Skubal.  If you can pair up Skubal for 3 postseasons with what we have, then you kind of have to.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm only giving up one of the big 3 for Skubal.  If you can pair up Skubal for 3 postseasons with what we have, then you kind of have to.  

Of course, if Skubal tears his UCL this August then you only have him for 1 post TJ season and you gave up 6 years of a potential all-star mvp middle infielder.   That’s why Elias won’t do it.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course, if Skubal tears his UCL this August then you only have him for 1 post TJ season and you gave up 6 years of a potential all-star mvp middle infielder.   That’s why Elias won’t do it.

What if Holliday has a UCL injury?

If the thought of a UCL injury holds you up from trading for Skubal, then you might as well only ever trade for rentals.  

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What if Holliday has a UCL injury?

If the thought of a UCL injury holds you up from trading for Skubal, then you might as well only ever trade for rentals.  

What I would have to give up to take on that high risk/high reward might hold me up.   I think it will hold Elias up.   He can get someone like Fedde, with one year of service, less injury questions, and give up a lot less.

I understand making the big splash for Skubal.  It just carries some risk for a pitcher who has never topped 140 innings before and that was 3 years ago.

• Upvote 1