So far this year, the Orioles’ OF PA (1,078) have been allocated as follows:

Santander (302) 28.0%

Mullins (272) 25.2%

Cowser (268) 24.9%

Hays (136) 12.6%

O’Hearn (45) 4.2%

Kjerstad (29) 2.7%

Stowers (26) 2.4%

Note that Santander (55 PA) and Kjerstad (17 PA) have also seen time at DH, while O’Hearn gets most of his time (225 PA) at 1B/DH.

My question is, what do you think the mix will look like over the final 72 games?   Personally, I’d like to see something like:

Santander 27%

Mullins 25%

Cowser 16%

Hays 16%

Kjerstad 16%

With Santander and Kjerstad continuing to get some PA at DH, as they have been.   Kjerstad since his recall has started 8 of 12 games, 4 in the OF and 4 as DH, and pinch hit in two other games.   

I think it’s time to play Cowser less, unless his bat picks up.  16% basically means he’s still playing half the time, split evenly between CF and a corner spot.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So far this year, the Orioles’ OF PA (1,078) have been allocated as follows:

Santander (302) 28.0%

Mullins (272) 25.2%

Cowser (268) 24.9%

Hays (136) 12.6%

O’Hearn (45) 4.2%

Kjerstad (29) 2.7%

Stowers (26) 2.4%

Note that Santander (55 PA) and Kjerstad (17 PA) have also seen time at DH, while O’Hearn gets most of his time (225 PA) at 1B/DH.

My question is, what do you think the mix will look like over the final 72 games?   Personally, I’d like to see something like:

Santander 27%

Mullins 25%

Cowser 16%

Hays 16%

Kjerstad 16%

With Santander and Kjerstad continuing to get some PA at DH, as they have been.   Kjerstad since his recall has started 8 of 12 games, 4 in the OF and 4 as DH, and pinch hit in two other games.   

I think it’s time to play Cowser less, unless his bat picks up.  16% basically means he’s still playing half the time, split evenly between CF and a corner spot.  

Totally agree with this. I'd give Kjerstad some of Cowsers time. The defensive drop-off is real but Cowser is hitting himself to less play time. 

I think Santander has established himself in right barring some sort of massive slump. For the rest of these guys there should be no set amount of playing time, let their performance dictate. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Performance will dictate this, for every player.

Of course.   But in particular, Cowser’s PT really hasn’t been adjusted much since mid-April, and I think it’s time to do so, though I still want him getting a reasonable amount of time.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course.   But in particular, Cowser’s PT really hasn’t been adjusted much since mid-April, and I think it’s time to do so, though I still want him getting a reasonable amount of time.   

Cowser is one of the 3 best OFers we have. He should play more than Mullins and Hays.

If we can trade Kjerstad for a legit SP do it. 

If someone wanted Cowser over Kjerstad, do that instead. 

Mullins is okay for now but needs to be replaced by next year

Hays can stay as a 4th OF, he crushes lefties. 

I hope we can sign Santa to a 3 year extension. He's great in clubhouse and a long term Oriole. 

The minor league depth in the OF can be used for trades.(Fabian, Beavers, Bradfield) 

If we need to use a AAA OF, Daniel Johnson is having a good year and I dont see a ton of drop off between he and Cedric. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Performance will dictate this, for every player.

To this point, we are in a position now to do this with the quality of the roster. Just need a couple guys to step up at a time and it will be a productive group.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser is one of the 3 best OFers we have. He should play more than Mullins and Hays.

Hays is currently out OPS'ing Cowser .744 to .740.  Cowser has been really cold for a really long time.   Just pointing that out, it doesn't mean I don't like the player.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays is currently out OPS'ing Cowser .744 to .740.  Cowser has been really cold for a really long time.   Just pointing that out, it doesn't mean I don't like the player.  

1) Defense matters

2) As has been talked about, Cowser has had a ton of bad luck this year. 

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem is his numbers keep going down. He's going to be below 2 fWAR soon, his wRC+ has plummeted and it's actually lower than Hays'. If you bring him in as a defensive replacement in a close game, expect nothing from him with the bat. His OPS+ late and close is 24, his OPS+ in high leverage, which is about a fifth of all of his PA's is 3, yes, 3. There is not a single player on the team I wouldn't bat instead of Cowser if we needed to push a run across the plate. He's the worst player in all of MLB in clutch situations and bottom 4 in WPA.

• Upvote 2

My every day RHP stack right now would be Mullins CF, Santander RF, Kjerstad LF. 

Play Hays vs LHP, play Cowser when anyone needs rest. 

Cowser could play more depending on who is slumping.

So I would have something like Santander 30%, Mullins 25%, Kjerstad 20%, Hays 13%, Cowser 12%.