Renamed Wow Simon

wildcard

I would agree. I just haven't seen Hendrickson accomplish anything of note this spring. Or ever.

-Don

I don't have anything against the signing of Hendrickson as long as he's ONLY in relief... If he's a starter I have a huge problem with it.

As it's been shown, he can usually get through an opposing line-up at least once. Let's keep it that way.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have anything against the signing of Hendrickson as long as he's ONLY in relief... If he's a starter I have a huge problem with it.

As it's been shown, he can usually get threw an opposing line-up at least once. Let's keep it that way.

I can agree with all of that. I just can't see him, or maybe I just don't WANT to see him in the O's rotation on a regular basis. It feels like spotting the other team a lead every 4-5 days.

Lefty long relief is what I thought we signed him for, not as a MLB starter.

-Don

Wow is right.

As in wow, you changed your mind awfully quick about Simon since last night.

Hahahaha, at this point I think people are hanging onto whoever gives them reason for hope.

But this rotation for most of the year will be a revolving door. If Simon starts it off in the rotation, meh, whatever.

2nd time seeing him tonight. He definitely has stuff but he looks like he's overthrowing and a few of his non fastball stuff looked very wild at times.

He reminds me of Daniel Cabrera 2.0... actually I think I gave that award to Liz so maybe this is D-Cab 2.1 or something...

Hopefully Simon can show us more consistency.

Who is Alfredo Simon? I have checked his stats for the last eight years and he basically hasnt shown anything anywhere. Is this a case of he throws hard so he sticks around?

Love the start but I aint getting too excited yet.

Frankly Waters has shown more in the minors than Simon.

Wow is right.

As in wow, you changed your mind awfully quick about Simon since last night.

You just have to get your facts straight. I stand by everything I said about Simon last night. As of last night everything I wrote about Simon was right.

So how would you like your crow?

Here is what I said:

I think that the cases for Eaton, Hendrickson, Simon and Penn being starters on the O's is weaker then Bass's case at this point when you look at what all these pitchers have done over the last year.

Now do the same thing with Eaton, Simon, Hendrickson and Penn. I have said over and over. These guys are not world beater. They are marginal pitchers. It shows the state of Orioles starting pitching in 2009. However, Bass has done better then many of the other guys. It is truely a sad starting pitching staff.

Originally Posted by DrungoHazewood

They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't strongly consider:

- his complete minor league record

- his pronounced split between relieving and starting, his brief trial with the O's last year notwithstanding

- scouting reports from prior years, including reports from the Twins

- observations of how he's throwing this spring

- his repertoire, and how sharp and useful his secondary pitches are

- his durability

- his makeup

- his health

Each one of those should have more weight in the decision-making process than his spring stats. Spring numbers should never be much more than one more ball in the pit at Chuck E. Cheese.

And I replied:

However, the O's can consider all those things for a guy like Simon and if they did he would probably never have been invited to camp and certainly would not be considered for the rotation.

But instead, some scout saw him and liked him in Mexico. The O's signed him to a AAA contract. He pitched 4.2 innings at Norfolk and was promoted to the O's in Sept were his mechanics were terrible and he pitched 13 innings to a 6.23 ERA.

But Kranitz adjusted his delivery. He had a decent season in the winter leagues, he was late to camp but when he got there he throws well and now he has two chances (tonight and Sat) to make the rotation in the 3rd spot.

Nobody cares about his terrible minor league record or that he will be 28 in May and has never pitched in the majors.

So you can say the O's look at all those factors, but the only one that appears to matter is can a pitcher get out batters right now.

-------

Bass doesn't have to change as much. Simon had a 6.00+ in his minor league career

So, 6 good ST innings trumps a career 5.06 pro ERA with poor peripherals?

I have no issue with Simon making the team and as has been said in this thread, it really doesn't matter who makes the rotation.

But I find it hilarious that people are putting so much weight on such a small sample size.

He has never been good and is about to be 28..not that he is old but he is pretty much too old to think he can turn around his whole career(not that it cant happen..just not likely).

I think he may have a chance at being good out of the pen but still, this Simon love affair is a bit much.

Fastball at 93-94 through 6 innings. An offspeed pitch the strikeout Wright and Delgado back to back in the 6th. Mets had a major league lineup though the pitcher did bat.

Line: 6 IP, 4H, 1R, 1ER, 1 BB, 3 SO

Nice, He deserve a rotation spot.

Sign him up. For one of the first times this spring some one stood up like he wanted the job. Come on Hayden follow suit.

I have no issue with Simon making the team and as has been said in this thread, it really doesn't matter who makes the rotation.

But I find it hilarious that people are putting so much weight on such a small sample size.

He has never been good and is about to be 28..not that he is old but he is pretty much too old to think he can turn around his whole career(not that it cant happen..just not likely).

I think he may have a chance at being good out of the pen but still, this Simon love affair is a bit much.

Good post, and I agree--but I have not seen a love affair with Simon at all. I guess I need to catch up on some reading, because it's not in this thread.

I could be wrong but I think you are little confused... the O's don't care if Simon turns into anything special or not. They have written 2009 off. What the are looking for is pitchers that won't embarrass themselves, the team, and the management. That's all. They just want to get through 2009 without setting records for consecutive losses and out-doing the horrific Oriole pitching staffs of the last few years.

First of all, I think most people were taking into account Simon's performance throughout ST, not just that last game. Second of all - yes, Simon has poor peripherals, and the projections don't help him (CHONE has him at 4.74 K/9 and 3.43 BB/9). My response to that, though, is that he isn't that much worse than our other options, and in addition has more upside than some of our other candidates (all CHONE projections):

Eaton = 5.40 K/9, 3.68 BB/9

Penn = 5.46 K/9, 3.54 BB/9

Bass and Hendrickson are projected as full time relievers, but I doubt they would be much better than this.

Certainly not much to expect from Simon, but I will say that he's looked much better than any of Penn, Eaton or really anyone other than Uehara this spring. For whatever that's worth...

The good news is that we should have some reasonable rotation help this year not far away in case Simon's past catches up with him.

Did you watch the game?

I'm guessing not, so you really aren't qualified to speak on what has people excited. It isn't the "6 ST innings"; it's the 95 mph fastball; the good change; the "splitter"; and a good curve. It was the performance, not the statistics.

Archived