Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cool, nice work there.

So?

Are we owed a large market?

Does DC not deserve their own team?

Should the fans of Baltimore just become Redskins fans and not tried to get their own team when the Colts left?  (sorry to bring up football again but come on, that fits).

I laid it all out a couple months ago, MLB has more teams bringing home the hunk of metal than other sports since 2000.  The competitive balance is fine.  It's harder?  Yea?  OK it's harder.

No but Angelos should’ve fought the relocation. Between MASN which was temporary and the sale guarantees he caved.

I’ll just say that the TV markets and cap situation make it very different. And they only need to draw 70000 people 8-9 times per year.

Want it to be an even comparison….. Make the tv money total revenue sharing. Then the differences are just gate and memorabilia driven, The Dodgers abd Yankees would still have more …but not 100s of millions more.

We complain but Oakland was a good example of a good baseball town crushed by their limited tv market. 

Your not sorry 😂

Doesnt matter … it’s not a level playing field. Spending lavishly doesn’t always work. Just wait and tell me how you feel when Bradish and Gunnar are wearing large market uniforms and the ability to tank has been diminished. 

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

No but Angelos should’ve fought the relocation. Between MASN which was temporary and the sale guarantees he caved.

I’ll just say that the TV markets and cap situation make it very different. And they only need to draw 70000 people 8-9 times per year.

Want it to be an even comparison….. Make the tv money total revenue sharing. Then the differences are just gate and memorabilia driven, The Dodgers abd Yankees would still have more …but not 100s of millions more.

We complain but Oakland was a good example of a good baseball town crushed by their limited tv market. 

Your not sorry 😂

Doesnt matter … it’s not a level playing field. Spending lavishly doesn’t always work. Just wait and tell me how you feel when Bradish and Gunnar are wearing large market uniforms and the ability to tank has been diminished. 

As I asked SG what grounds would they have had to fight it?

Have you not noticed, Frobby is not among us and I don't blame him one bit. Has been absent since last Wednesday evening.  By the way, I long lost track of any point and particularly relevance this discussion has to Burnes and 400 million.  Seems we are revisiting a lot of he should have - they could of - why can't we now. Great tangent though!

Again, for the record, I believe no one is going to give Burnes anything close to 400 million. So my answer to the OP is again - No One!!!!

28 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not a lawyer … perhaps @Frobbymight know. Loss of income, future revenues? Damage to their franchise….Even with MASN the Orioles lost a ton on annual tv revenues

When the Orioles moved into the market their was a team in DC.

I don't see how they can make a case that they deserve sole control of the area.

I think MASN was a great bribe, just the Angelos family mishandled it.  Properly run and sold off at the right time they could have cleaned up.

As it is they went as low energy and cheap as they could and I'm sure still made bank.

Don't forget, MASN revenue wasn't subject to revenue sharing like a cable deal would have been.

• Upvote 1

Largest contracts for starting pitchers (not including Shohei who is a dual player):

• Yamamoto - 12 years, $325 ($27m AAV), 25 years old at time of signing
  • Gerrit Cole - 9 years, $324 ($36m AAV), ~29 years old
  • Stephen Strasburg - 7 years, $245 ($35m AAV), ~31 years old 
  • Jacob deGrom - 5 years, $185 ($37m AAV), ~35 years old
  • Aaron Nola - 7 years, $172 (~$25m AAV), ~31 years old
  • Carlos Rodon - 6 years, $162 ($27m AAV), ~31 years old

Burnes will be 30 this month. He's not getting $400m. And he's too old to sniff the type of long-term contract that Yamamoto received. If we look at the longer term signings of comparable age (call it 30-31 y/o), he's probably looking at a 5-7 year deal. And I reckon he'd want ~$30m AAV. My guess is it's a 5 year deal, he'll want deGrom money on AAV, maybe higher since he isn't 35 and doesn't have the injury issues.

My gut is he'll get $200m if it's 5 years and it'll be closer to $275 if 7 years. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When the Orioles moved into the market their was a team in DC.

I don't see how they can make a case that they deserve sole control of the area.

I think MASN was a great bribe, just the Angelos family mishandled it.  Properly run and sold off at the right time they could have cleaned up.

As it is they went as low energy and cheap as they could and I'm sure still made bank.

Don't forget, MASN revenue wasn't subject to revenue sharing like a cable deal would have been.

🤮

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Largest contracts for starting pitchers (not including Shohei who is a dual player):

• Yamamoto - 12 years, $325 ($27m AAV), 25 years old at time of signing
  • Gerrit Cole - 9 years, $324 ($36m AAV), ~29 years old
  • Stephen Strasburg - 7 years, $245 ($35m AAV), ~31 years old 
  • Jacob deGrom - 5 years, $185 ($37m AAV), ~35 years old
  • Aaron Nola - 7 years, $172 (~$25m AAV), ~31 years old
  • Carlos Rodon - 6 years, $162 ($27m AAV), ~31 years old

Burnes will be 30 this month. He's not getting $400m. And he's too old to sniff the type of long-term contract that Yamamoto received. If we look at the longer term signings of comparable age (call it 30-31 y/o), he's probably looking at a 5-7 year deal. And I reckon he'd want ~$30m AAV. My guess is it's a 5 year deal, he'll want deGrom money on AAV, maybe higher since he isn't 35 and doesn't have the injury issues.

My gut is he'll get $200m if it's 5 years and it'll be closer to $275 if 7 years. 

Boras will hold out to beat Cole's deal.....but I think it lands around 250m. If Cole opts out, it will be interesting to see if Yanks pivot to Burns.