Orioles vs NL Central

25 Nuggets

The Orioles finished this season 5-10 against the NL Central, losing their last six:

• 1-2 vs PIT
  • 1-2 vs MIL
  • 3-0 vs CIN
  • 0-3 vs STL
  • 0-3 vs CHI

They're 52-26 against everyone else.  Is there something to this we don't know about, or it is just Small Sample Size?

Funny thing is the Astros used to be part of the NL Central. If they still were, that's 5-13 against the NL Central and 52-23 against everyone else. 

It's all just a coincidence and pitching matchups at the time. Also, who's hot and who's cold at the time. Cards have the Kryptonite soft tossers. Cubs were hot, we were cold, as another example. (Yes, I know there was more to it than that). But our stellar record against the AL East is about to take a nice little dive. 

6 hours ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Funny thing is the Astros used to be part of the NL Central. If they still were, that's 5-13 against the NL Central and 52-23 against everyone else. 

It's all just a coincidence and pitching matchups at the time. Also, who's hot and who's cold at the time. Cards have the Kryptonite soft tossers. Cubs were hot, we were cold, as another example. (Yes, I know there was more to it than that). But our stellar record against the AL East is about to take a nice little dive. 

And that’s with sweeping the Reds too. 2-10 vs Chicago, St Louis, Pitt and Milwaukee.

It does seem like we get "up" for divisional rivals and then fall prone to trap series. Still, let's give some credit to the Cubs. Imanaga and Steele are excellent pitchers. If they were starting for us we would expect to win most of the time.

1 hour ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

It was 6-9 last year as well IIRC.

I believe that is correct:

Lost 2 of 3 to Cincy here - Lost 2 of 3 to the Cubbies in Wrigley - Won 2 of 3 against the Bucs here - Lost 2 of 3 to Mil there - Lost 2 of 3 to StL here. 

I do wonder sometimes if there is scientifically formulated "less" R&D investment on these infrequent opponents, and the players don't get all the shiniest stuff like against Yankees pitchers.    You can't really cost justify the outlay trying to figure out Luke Little or Porter Hodge.

At the beginning of the year, Cubs fans had Steele and Imanaga pitching games 1 and 2 of all the playoff rounds, and they performed like it.

Cionel did break Cody Bellinger's hand to tighten up the CF market.