Trade Proposal: Santander for Snell

4 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Santander isn’t getting a QO. If he does, he will take it.

You are so wrong.  If Santander finishes the season at his current pace (130 OPS+), he will get a QO, turn it down, and get a contract worth $50-100 mm.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are so wrong.  If Santander finishes the season at his current pace (130 OPS+), he will get a QO, turn it down, and get a contract worth $50-100 mm.   

As I said, he's criminally underrated by people here.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Teoscar Hernandez says “what?”

Just now, RZNJ said:

Teoscar Hernandez says “what?”

Treoscar had a 107 OPS+ walk year.  Really hurt himself.  He took a pillow deal and now he’ll probably get paid if he keeps hitting at his current 125 OPS+ pace.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I be happy for him getting his big bag and wish him luck . In meantime, that compensation pick will come in handy next July. Not to mention one vacated roster to loosen up logjam a bit 

13 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Snell has had a rough year but is perfect through 6 today, following a good start. When healthy he's someone you want starting a playoff game. He's signed through next year so it's not a super long commitment through his older years, and also not a pure rental. It would require spending some money, and he's fragile. High risk, high reward.

The Giants need an outfield bat. Santander has been great but we have Kjerstad and Stowers to fill in.

What do you think?

Blake Snell has made 8 starts wand posted a -0.6 WAR and a 6.31 ERA.

Why in the world would we want him? Do you happen to be a Giants fan as well? Because this would be the most lopsided trade that Elias could make. I’m sure the Giants would volunteer to drive Snell to Baltimore from SF if they could get rid of him, let alone get back Santander in return.

Is that all you think Santander is worth? A pitcher having an absolute horrid season who is always injury prone.

If we are going to deal with the Giants [AND] consider trading Santander, why wouldn’t we ask for one of their better/good starting pitchers?

I was reading the Cowser thread, and with all the people clamoring to cut his playing time, and/or send him down- its just remarkable that people want to let Santander walk for nothing. We have 5 OF on the roster currently, and could have the same 5 next year. No more or less of a log jam. Of those 5, the only ones that are playing to their abilities by the orioles hangout judges are Santander and Kjerstad (SSS). Nobody here seems to believe in Kjerstad's defense, Mullins or Hays, or now Cowser so who exactly would be playing in the outfield next year? Santander has his flaws like everyone does, but he's a proven commodity, and has value on the field and in the clubhouse. There most likely will be roster movement from some the OF guys (Hays, Mullins, Stowers) either at the deadline or offseason so I am just having a hard time going into next year with either unproven guys (Norby/Billy Cook/Beavers etc) over Santander, or trusting that we're going to find another starting OF in free agency. I think if all 5 of our current OF are here next year (Cowser, Kjerstad, Mullins, Santander, Hays), then Hays and Mullins take on more of a bench role, and they would both be valuable in those roles.

Now- if Mayo proves he is a capable RF, then I think that changes a lot, but we have yet to see if thats true and the Orioles havent even put it to practice as of now so I dont see that as a possibility. If Tony is not here, I think we will be missing his production by either watching one of the unproven guys struggle, or watching one of Hays/Mullins play every day and struggle. 

I'm not thinking of anything longer than 3 years, and I'll be clear, I would be ok with the QO and pick as well- I just dont know that we will fill his productivity as quickly or as easily as some think.

Edited by terpoh

42 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Blake Snell has made 8 starts wand posted a -0.6 WAR and a 6.31 ERA.

Why in the world would we want him? Do you happen to be a Giants fan as well? Because this would be the most lopsided trade that Elias could make. I’m sure the Giants would volunteer to drive Snell to Baltimore from SF if they could get rid of him, let alone get back Santander in return.

Is that all you think Santander is worth? A pitcher having an absolute horrid season who is always injury prone.

If we are going to deal with the Giants [AND] consider trading Santander, why wouldn’t we ask for one of their better/good starting pitchers?

Snell missed all of ST and has had an injury as a result of that. He won the CY award just last year. He will be fine.  He was awful in his first 3-4 starts, as was expected.

His last 2 outings, he has gone 12 innings, allowed 2, walked 3 and struck out 11…and no runs allowed.

It’s very likely that he makes us a bigger threat in October than Santander does.

This is a trade the Os should make 100 times out of 100 but it’s one that makes no sense for the Giants.

If the Giants sell and you can get Snell and the cost is lower than it should be, the Os should be all over that.

1 hour ago, terpoh said:

I was reading the Cowser thread, and with all the people clamoring to cut his playing time, and/or send him down- its just remarkable that people want to let Santander walk for nothing. We have 5 OF on the roster currently, and could have the same 5 next year. No more or less of a log jam. Of those 5, the only ones that are playing to their abilities by the orioles hangout judges are Santander and Kjerstad (SSS). Nobody here seems to believe in Kjerstad's defense, Mullins or Hays, or now Cowser so who exactly would be playing in the outfield next year? Santander has his flaws like everyone does, but he's a proven commodity, and has value on the field and in the clubhouse. There most likely will be roster movement from some the OF guys (Hays, Mullins, Stowers) either at the deadline or offseason so I am just having a hard time going into next year with either unproven guys (Norby/Billy Cook/Beavers etc) over Santander, or trusting that we're going to find another starting OF in free agency. I think if all 5 of our current OF are here next year (Cowser, Kjerstad, Mullins, Santander, Hays), then Hays and Mullins take on more of a bench role, and they would both be valuable in those roles.

Now- if Mayo proves he is a capable RF, then I think that changes a lot, but we have yet to see if thats true and the Orioles havent even put it to practice as of now so I dont see that as a possibility. If Tony is not here, I think we will be missing his production by either watching one of the unproven guys struggle, or watching one of Hays/Mullins play every day and struggle. 

I'm not thinking of anything longer than 3 years, and I'll be clear, I would be ok with the QO and pick as well- I just dont know that we will fill his productivity as quickly or as easily as some think.

Here’s the point. You don’t give good but not great players big contracts. 

he’s likely to be in the $17 per range which is 10 percent for of what the payroll is likely to be next year. 

Edited by Roll Tide

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

he’s likely to be in the $17 per range which is 10 percent for of what the payroll is likely to be next year. 

The payroll isn’t going to be 170M next year.

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I get that. I'm hoping that the new ownership group will be a little more willing to spend than John Angelos. It doesnt mean you need to spend recklessly and doesn't solve everything, but hopefully takes us out of the "we can never pay anyone" category,

2 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I get that. I'm hoping that the new ownership group will be a little more willing to spend than John Angelos. It doesnt mean you need to spend recklessly and doesn't solve everything, but hopefully takes us out of the "we can never pay anyone" category,

You can easily argue that what you are recommending w/r/t Santander is reckless spending.