Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope not. If Burnes walks at the end of the season, we are going to need a #1 in '25. None of those pitchers that you mentioned (Fedde, Tailon, Bassit, Eflin, Quantril are that.

So even if we bring one in (to be our #3 this year and next), what would be your plan to get a #1 next season?

1) GRod could be a #1 next year

2) You don’t need a #1 to win

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jamesenoch said:

Interesting conversation from the POV of Detroit fans.

He kept saying "if Jackson Holliday is in the deal then I'm a yes" but then continued the conversation assuming they get Mayo too.  That's just not happening.  It would be much more interesting if he were to discuss something like Holliday, Kjerstad, Beavers/Norby or others not in the top three.

There is just no way Elias is giving up both Holliday and Mayo.  12 years of those guys for 2.5 of Skubal is way too steep.  

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, jamesenoch said:

I appreciate you sharing this. But it is clear that these people know little to nothing about our prospects our MLB team.

I can't see any realistic scenario where a pitcher of Skubal's profile lands 2 top 15 prospects including #1 overall. That would be unprecedented!

As patient/stingy as Elias has been, I can't see him pivoting to go full board in the opposite direction. These radio hosts/fans have to acknowledge that there is a serious injury risk with Skubal/any pitcher especially given Skubal's health record and the fact that he has not pitched even 150 innings at the big league level.

In no way (and this is coming from someone who really wants Skubal) is Tarik Skubal worth 2 top 15 MLB prospects. That's just not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You like Grayson to give you what Burnes has given us this year?

In effect, you would be swapping Fedde/Bassit/Tailon/Eflin/Quantrill for Burnes for 25'. Please tell me how that is a net win?

I have heard you share concern about Burnes' K numbers and what that may project going into future seasons. Have you looked at a guy like Quantrill's K numbers per 9? Efflin's?

What about those pitchers says they will be an adequate replacement for Burnes?

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

You like Grayson to give you what Burnes has given us this year?

In effect, you would be swapping Fedde/Bassit/Tailon/Eflin/Quantrill for Burnes for 25'. Please tell me how that is a net win?

I have heard you share concern about Burnes' K numbers and what that may project going into future seasons. Have you looked at a guy like Quantrill's K numbers per 9? Efflin's?

What about those pitchers says they will be an adequate replacement for Burnes?

1) I never said they would replace him and never said I wanted those guys

2) yes, despite what you seem to think, young talented players get better. So, could GRod be a sub 3 ERA ace pitcher next year? Absolutely. For most of the last calendar year, GRod has been close to that already.

Teams evolve. You are looking for a way to directly replace Burnes. It’s not likely that will happen. But that doesn’t mean much.

The given goal of a team in any given offseason is to improve the team from the year before. Next year, maybe the rotation will have more talent throughout it?  Maybe the BP will be much better?  Maybe the offense takes another leap?

Point being that just because you win one year a certain way, doesn’t mean you have to win the same way the next year.

When the Cardinals let Pujols walk, people asked how could they ever replace him. Well, they went out, signed Beltran to a cheaper, short deal, he performed well and the team was still very good around him..they went to the playoffs.

Here is what we know, for sure..the Orioles are going to be an elite offensive team and it looks like they will also be excellent defensively, especially in the key areas.

Bautista will be back and we will see if he’s the same guy. 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Radio man says the tiger fans are on drugs while he himself is on drugs. This reminds me when on Sundays, pastor man would preach to the congregation about the wrongs of extra marital affairs then growing up finding out he had many goomahs including 3-4 children by said goomahs.

48 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope not. If Burnes walks at the end of the season, we are going to need a #1 in '25. None of those pitchers that you mentioned (Fedde, Tailon, Bassit, Eflin, Quantril are that.

So even if we bring one in (to be our #3 this year and next), what would be your plan to get a #1 next season?

If that's the path, we would likely deal with that question at the '25 trade deadline. 

But in response to the question:  Is Grayson the guy we hope he is? If so, then maybe we're looking to replace that level of production. 

Gerrit Cole (opt-out) - doubt he opts out but how fun would it be to poach from the NYY?!

Blake Snell (opt-out) - depends on 2nd half but doubt it

Max Scherzer - 1 year deal?  How much is left in the tank?

Corbin Burnes - could we be the high bidder?

Max Fried, Shane Bieber, Robbie Ray (opt-out) - potential TOR types even if not Burnes level

Sean Manaea (opt-out), Luis Severino, Frankie Montas (mutual option), Jack Flaherty, Yusei Kikuchi - plus mid-rotation types who are interesting to me currently 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1) I never said they would replace him and never said I wanted those guys

2) yes, despite what you seem to think, young talented players get better. So, could GRod be a sub 3 ERA ace pitcher next year? Absolutely. For most of the last calendar year, GRod has been close to that already.

Teams evolve. You are looking for a way to directly replace Burnes. It’s not likely that will happen. But that doesn’t mean much.

The given goal of a team in any given offseason to improve the team from the year before. Next year, maybe the rotation will have more talent throughout it?  Maybe the BP will be much better?  Maybe the offense takes another leap?

Point being that just because you win one year a certain way, doesn’t mean you have to win the same way the next year.

When the Cardinals let Pujols walk, people asked how could they ever replace him. Well, they went out, signed Beltran to a cheaper, short deal, he performed well and the team was still very good around him..they went to the playoffs.

Here is what we know, for sure..the Orioles are going to be an elite offensive team and it looks like they will also be excellent defensively, especially in the key areas.

Bautista will be back and we will see if he’s the same guy. 

Good points on Grayson and team build.

I'll also add that I wouldn’t be shocked if Kimbrel is brought back either.  

People keep comparing the package Boston gave up to get Sale and saying the package needs to be the same for someone to get Tarik.  I don't see it.  Sale had 5 years with the White Sox where he was dominate and Tarik only has had maybe 2.5 years plus TJ surgery.  That isn't enough of a sample size for me to compare the two.

21 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Radio man says the tiger fans are on drugs while he himself is on drugs. This reminds me when on Sundays, pastor man would preach to the congregation about the wrongs of extra marital affairs then growing up finding out he had many goomahs including 3-4 children by said goomahs.

He's high while they are on crack.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Eventually we should get a decent LH SP since we built the darn wall. Means got hurt. I appreciate what Elias was trying to do with Irvin, but it didn’t work out. 

2 hours ago, jamesenoch said:

There is zero chance that ME is giving up both JH and Mayo in the same deal. These guys are almost as high as their fans if they are comparing Dominguez and Jones to Holliday and Mayo. Peraza isn't even on Norby's level.

If Dominguez, Jones and Peraza is what they think that they can get from the Yankees and they would take that deal for Skubel, the comp is more like Norby, Kjerstad and Beavers (who I am not overly excited about moving). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

“Could be” ….I personally don’t want to rely on that. Plus the rest of your rotation is Irvin, Suarez, Kremer, and Povich. I’d like Kremer to be my #5 and not have to rely on any of these guys.

a three of Burnes, GRod, and Crochet/Skubal/ Scherzer give you a great opportunity for at least 2-3 years and you can hope Bradish returns to his old form after surgery.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

“Could be” ….I personally don’t want to rely on that. Plus the rest of your rotation is Irvin, Suarez, Kremer, and Povich. I’d like Kremer to be my #5 and not have to rely on any of these guys.

a three of Burnes, GRod, and Crochet/Skubal/ Scherzer give you a great opportunity for at least 2-3 years and you can hope Bradish returns to his old form after surgery.

Zero people have said not to upgrade the rest of the rotation.  No idea why people keep saying that as if that will be the rotation next year. It’s a non sensical argument.

And guess what, we don’t even know that Burnes will be as good next year.  It’s always a could be..every year.