Would you trade Santander, Mountcastle and one of Stowers or Norby for George Kirby and maybe a decent AAA pitcher?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to trade from their tremendous haul of prospects?

It would, but Seattle doesn't need prospects now, they need hitting immediately if they're looking to not only make the playoffs, but be competitive in the playoffs.  Prospects won't work for Seattle if they want to improve the major league lineup right now.

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Then they can keep their great pitchers and rest them from October onward, because without some hitting, they're not going anywhere.  Of course, they may be able to find some hitting from other teams that are selling without giving up their pitching, but that remains to be seen.

Or they keep their great pitchers and use their very good farm system to get hitters.  Acting like they have to trade a guy like Kirby to win now is absurd point to make.

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

It would, but Seattle doesn't need prospects now, they need hitting immediately if they're looking to not only make the playoffs, but be competitive in the playoffs.  Prospects won't work for Seattle if they want to improve the major league lineup right now.

No, I think you misunderstand.

Seattle has a bunch of excellent prospects 6 top 100 according to MLB Pipeline. Why wouldn't they just trade some of their prospects for difference making offensive player instead of weaken their rotation to trade for the likes of Mountcastle and Santander (who is a Free Agent after the season)?

After this year, the trade would be Mountcastle and a 27 year old Stowers for an ace like Kirby. How does that make sense for Seattle?

You've seen what people feel the asking price is for 2.5 years of Skubal is, right? Even if Skubal is a little better than Kirby, why would you think this is anywhere close enough to get 4.5 years of Kirby?

The asking price for Kirby probably starts with one of our big three and includes multiple other pieces that hurt. If Seattle would even do that in the middle of a pennant race.

It wouldn't shock me if they were willing to deal from depth/prospect capital for that package, but then again the Orioles need pitching help now, not in a year or two. You want to do damage to our offense to maybe help out the pitching? This just doesn't work on so many levels.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d try to take a shot at Woo or Hancock.

Bryan Woo is an interesting guy for us to target. Just an interesting guy in general, really, because he’s a totally different pitcher this year than he’s ever been before. No walks, severely limiting hard contact, but the K rate has plunged. He’s always been a big K guy, through the minors and even last year — and he has been the absolute opposite this year. Pretty weird. 

Emerson Hancock is like the Kikuchi of pitching prospects. Really feels overrated, I guess because of draft pedigree and getting lumped in with all the other young guys in SEA. Realistically, he hasn’t been good at all since the year he got drafted.

7 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

You've seen what people feel the asking price is for 2.5 years of Skubal is, right? Even if Skubal is a little better than Kirby, why would you think this is anywhere close enough to get 4.5 years of Kirby?

The asking price for Kirby probably starts with one of our big three and includes multiple other pieces that hurt. If Seattle would even do that in the middle of a pennant race.

It wouldn't shock me if they were willing to deal from depth/prospect capital for that package, but then again the Orioles need pitching help now, not in a year or two. You want to do damage to our offense to maybe help out the pitching? This just doesn't work on so many levels.

I have not seen the asking prices on anyone, to be honest.  

What's funny is that there are folks on here who feel like Mayo/Kjerstad would not be much of a downgrade from Mountacastle/Santander.  

I was only willing to give up the guys I mentioned to 1) improve our pitching, and 2) not trade one of the big 3 prospects.

But it appears that most who have responded to this feel like there's no way Seattle would even consider this, so it's a moot point I guess.

I'll go back to what I said last week, IF we pull off a deal or two, people on here will either not like who we got, or will feel like we gave up way more than we should have in order to get the guy we wanted.  

Why would Seattle trade one of the most valuable starting pitchers in baseball for a package with slugging right fielder with only 2 months of control, a slightly above average 1B (3 years of control I believe) and either a AAA slugger who has no defensive home or a MLB platoon OF? That package would barely get someone like Fedde. 

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Santander is a rental, but is also hot, so we'd be selling high right now on him, and making room for Kjerstad.  Mountcastle creates room for Mayo.  Stowers or Norby are redundant right now.

Seattle gets much needed offense, and we get a front line starter with a few years of control.   I don't know much about Seattle's system, so I can't say who I'd want along with Kirby to balance out the deal, but I'm open to suggestions.

I realize we would be giving up a lot - in terms of our own offense, and clubhouse presence.  But, getting a guy like Kirby will not come cheap in this market anyway....AND we don't have to sell the farm. (I would even throw in Urias and bring up Norby as a bench bat).

Who would do this trade?

I would probably not do this trade and I doubt the Orioles would either. I believe Santander is too valuable to this team for a number of reasons.

I think Seattle would have to check their sanity if they agreed to do it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Santander is a rental, but is also hot, so we'd be selling high right now on him, and making room for Kjerstad.  Mountcastle creates room for Mayo.  Stowers or Norby are redundant right now.

Seattle gets much needed offense, and we get a front line starter with a few years of control.   I don't know much about Seattle's system, so I can't say who I'd want along with Kirby to balance out the deal, but I'm open to suggestions.

I realize we would be giving up a lot - in terms of our own offense, and clubhouse presence.  But, getting a guy like Kirby will not come cheap in this market anyway....AND we don't have to sell the farm. (I would even throw in Urias and bring up Norby as a bench bat).

Who would do this trade?

I would probably not do this trade and I doubt the Orioles would either. I believe Santander is too valuable to this team for a number of reasons.

I think Seattle would have to check their sanity if they agreed to do it.

Sorry for the double post.

Edited by mall-O-cup

Think about what is rumored to be the cost for Skubal, who has two years LESS control time than Kirby. Why would Seattle not be asking for something like that PLUS an existing ML bat like Mountcastle? The OP trade would be laughed at.