AL playoff picture

eddie83

59 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The magic number is 4 vs the twins unless it ends in 3 way tie.  If we win today and Saturday that put us at 87-68 with 7 left so the worse we can do is 87-75.  That would give the Tigers 2 more losses putting them at 75 and if the Twins lose both they also have 75.   So even if the both win out it would be a 3 way tie it goes to head to head with 3 teams.  In that scenario the worse we could go is .500 and the tigers are already under .500 in that matchup.  If it goes to just us vs each team we would the tie breaker vs both of them with better record in divisions.  

Your last statement I dont believe is correct with a 2 way tie against the Tigers in this scenario. We would both be 87-75 and 30-22 in the division. It would then go to interdivison record, which I believe we would win by 2 games.

24 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Your last statement I dont believe is correct with a 2 way tie against the Tigers in this scenario. We would both be 87-75 and 30-22 in the division. It would then go to interdivison record, which I believe we would win by 2 games.

Yes I should have said by inter division we hold tie breaker on both if head to head.  3 way tie we would finish ahead of Tigers but behind Twins but still get in.   So the magic number is really 5 but with asterisk on that because it could be 4 with the right 2 wins vs Tigers or Twins.  

8 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yes I should have said by inter division we hold tie breaker on both if head to head.  3 way tie we would finish ahead of Tigers but behind Twins but still get in.   So the magic number is really 5 but with asterisk on that because it could be 4 with the right 2 wins vs Tigers or Twins.  

Agreed. So to put it very simply, if we win 2/3 and the Twins lose 2/3 this weekend we are IN.