Seattle is looking for a first baseman

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The trading deadline is just going to be different now. It may take a few years for it to catch on but eventually, this is just what teams are going to have to do. 

People have been saying contender to contender trades will happen more for a few years already and it hasn’t happened. I understand why it should, but I’ll believe it when I see it. 

If it doesn’t happen this year when “everyone needs bats and there are no bats available” while the Orioles are sitting there with 3 starting-caliber hitters on their bench and another 4 in AAA, then I’m skeptical the league will ever meaningfully move in this direction (or, at least, that the Orioles will).

40 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If that is the case I would have to question his ability to play 3B since the skills are similar. In which case he will need to be a full time DH.

I disagree with this statement. I have helped a lot of guys switch positions during the collegiate summer season and the switch is not as easy as folks think. Everything is backwards. And, for a lot of guys, turning your back on the play to get to 1B and set up is difficult. Trying to do it mid-season adds to the difficulty. 

Edited by MCO'sFan
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

People have been saying contender to contender trades will happen more for a few years already and it hasn’t happened. I understand why it should, but I’ll believe it when I see it. 

If it doesn’t happen this year when “everyone needs bats and there are no bats available” while the Orioles are sitting there with 3 starting-caliber hitters on their bench and another 4 in AAA, then I’m skeptical the league will ever meaningfully move in this direction (or, at least, that the Orioles will).

I do think it’s one of those things where someone will have to break the dam and then you see how it goes.

It makes way too much sense for it not to happen.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do think it’s one of those things where someone will have to break the dam and then you see how it goes.

It makes way too much sense for it not to happen.

I agree that this should happen and hope that it does. It may be nostalgia but I recall this being pretty prevalent in the 70's - 80's. 

I think the Mariners shock style trade in the spirit of Nomar Garciaparra is Luis Castillo.

They have been rationing dollars with broadcast uncertainty - Castillo has started to look a little bit wilty as a top ace.     Even wilted on the 2024 Orioles he plausibly pushes Grayson to Game 3.

Castillo's current contract is ~3/72 after this season, about 15 percent higher than the ~3/63 Bassitt commanded a couple off-seasons ago.

I am not a big Bryan Woo guy, but Bryce Miller has looked very good, and a fourth top starter for the playoffs is a little superfluous.

JP Crawford had a finger broken last night, leaving them temporarily without a real shortstop.

49 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I like Mountcastle, he seems like a good dude and he's provided some value for us.  I'd be glad to see him move on just because his extreme streakiness drives me nuts during the low points.

But I have to think he has almost zero trade value.  

I think he has trade value. I’m just not sure he brings back an arm worthwhile. Feels like more of an off-season move to me. 

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I think the Mariners shock style trade in the spirit of Nomar Garciaparra is Luis Castillo.

They have been rationing dollars with broadcast uncertainty - Castillo has started to look a little bit wilty as a top ace.     Even wilted on the 2024 Orioles he plausibly pushes Grayson to Game 3.

Castillo's current contract is ~3/72 after this season, about 15 percent higher than the ~3/63 Bassitt commanded a couple off-seasons ago.

I am not a big Bryan Woo guy, but Bryce Miller has looked very good, and a fourth top starter for the playoffs is a little superfluous.

JP Crawford had a finger broken last night, leaving them temporarily without a real shortstop.

I like Woo as much and probably more than Miller and I think Woo is more gettable although I would be surprised if we could get him for Mounty.  Maybe Mounty and Norby or Stowers?

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would try to see if Seattle would consider a trade of Mountcastle + Norby + prospect for Woo.  This will give Seattle 2 hitters that are improvements on what they have now.  The prospect will probably be good one, top 10 for sure.  This is taking a chance that Mayo is ready to step into the ML lineup now.  Elias has the best feel for that, but only actual ML experience will show if Mayo is ready.

A year ago this time, there was talk of Westy for Woo.  20-20 hindsight, not sure which side many of us would take.  Westy's been amazing, but our rotation also needs help.

To be clear, I favor trading Mountcastle to Seattle even if they are unwilling to part with major league SP.  We can get a starting pitcher elsewhere at the deadline and use Mountcastle to replenish our farm system.   To me, the point is making room for Coby Mayo, while taking advantage of a situation where the Mariners have a glaring need and are trying to make the playoffs.  

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Castillo and Woo/Miller have a rationale but for different reasons.   Castillo is the aging guy with AAV but likely more 2024 value.  Woo/Miller is a deeper rotation piece in SEA and not as key (for them) in a short series.  All would improve/give a more solid floor to our 2024 #3 spot.  I agree regarding Miller > Woo, but suspect SEA does too.

Tic toc...

16 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Can o Hearn play 1B full time or does he have drastic splits?

Someone else answered your direct question about O' Hearn's splits, but the answer to your indirect question about someone playing first is that we have a bazillion guys who can do that right now.  Mayo, O' Hearn vs righties, Kjerstad, Adley, Tony, Ramon Urias, et cetera... 

If someone blew us away with a mid-season offer for Mountcastle, he'd be traded in a snap, there are a ton of backups to his position.

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mayo just started getting time at 1B.  Unlike other players who have moved around a lot, such as Holliday and Westburg.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense that he wasn't playing 1B 1-2 times a week.

He’s played 20% of his games at 1b.  Same as last year.  

21 hours ago, Just Regular said:

High ankle sprain the report as CF Julio Rodriguez joins SS JP Crawford on the injured list following the broken finger Crawford sustained last night.

Are there any other teams in the league with two 1B, two SS and two CF?

This desperation may be able to get a deal done. Mullins and Mountcastle for Woo or Miller. I’ll do a Holliday deal for 4 years of Kirby. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2024 at 5:55 AM, Just Regular said:

I like the idea of trading for Castillo too, but I think he has a full no trade clause at least through the next year or so.  Castillo probably would not cost that much in prospects too depending on how much Seattle eats.

I like Woo but he seems fragile.  Bryce Miller is not a free agent until 2030.  I think he would cost a lot -- maybe Kjerstad or higher up the list + a lot more.