Hays traded to Phillies

deward

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLBTR on Pache:

Baltimore will also add Pache to its bench mix. It’s an offensive downgrade, as the 25-year-old is hitting only .202/.288/.269 in 118 plate appearances and carries a .179/.243/.272 slash in parts of five MLB seasons. That said, Pache is a lights-out defender who’s been credited with a dozen Defensive Runs Saved and 16 Outs Above Average in just 1334 career innings in the outfield. He’s a plus-plus defender in center field, offering the O’s a more true fourth outfielder than Hays did, but he can certainly play strong corner defense as well.

Pache has 0 SB this year and only 4 for his ML career, so that's kind of weird for a speed guy. He's a curious fit. Would they platoon him and Mullins? Trade Mullins? Just keep him on the bench as a more sensible bench guy than Hays? 

Man these 403 errors... 

I am sad to see Hays go, even if I understand it. He seems like a great guy, and we had a tiny bit of a personal connection as my son accompanied him into the outfield when he was with the Baysox for the National Anthem. That was the same weekend my son served as a Mascot for Man U in a game against Barcelona at FedEx field. Quite the charmed life that kid has. But, he loves telling the story about running out on the field with Hays. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

So much added value if we are graced with a 1983 rematch!!

The first time went well…

It looks like walks are a minor problem for Dominguez and he doesn’t get ground balls, but he gives up weak fly balls? Is that a good reading of these stats?

Any guesses where he’d rank among our bullpen group?

This doesn’t move the needle much, does it?

PS These 403 errors really really interfere with enjoyment of this site.i wish I were computer-savvy enough to make a suggestion.

IMG_2585.jpeg

This should be good for Hays.  Phillies positional splits:

LF .664

CF .602

RF .717

Hays seems likely to get significantly more PT in Philly than he’s gotten this year.  And, the ballpark is way more friendly to RHB.  

For us, it clears more room for our younger players and gives us a true CF who’s not awful vs. LHP.  I think he’ll be strictly platooned.  Dominguez adds some bullpen depth but he’s not the back end guy we need.  

Other moves coming, I’m sure.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, justD said:

Seranthony Dominguez

IMG_6457.jpeg

Flyball pitcher should play well in our park.

41 minutes ago, iiiput said:

Does Pache mean Mullins is almost gone as well? They’re kind of redundant 

Not necessarily. Mullins and Pache are more natural platoon partners than Mullins/Cowser. If Mountcastle is traded, you could still have a Mullins/Pache platoon with Cowser in LF every day, Kjerstad DH. 

Or maybe Kjerstad is in play for a Crochet/Skubal deal.

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Is this definitely a precursor to Mullins being traded?  We'll see. 

Pache was Keith Law's #1 prospect 3-4 years ago.  Clearly never lived up to the hype.  Really good defender though.  

I don’t think so. Pache can’t hit. 

SD does have nice postseason numbers. 

41 minutes ago, justD said:

This is just the kind of thing I was looking for but tbh can’t quite figure out why PHI did this. Is Seranthony yet an another unreliable reliever? (Yes, I know all RP are inherently unpredictable but still…)

It feels like a great deal regardless. I love Hays but his time was up here, this will be good for him I think. 

He had an atrocious April, and while the ERA looks bad for July, his other metrics look on par with May and June which look like a really, really, really good reliever.  

However, given the Phillies with Alvarado, Strahm and Hoffman, just how much Dominguez was pitching in high leverage is a question mark.  And, he has historically struggled with walks and location, especially on his secondaries.  So just like Kimbrel.  

I like it. Dominguez is a power arm with better stuff than most of our relievers. 

Pache can’t hit and I could see him getting DFAd depending on how the next two months unfold. But a Cowser/Mullins/Pache outfield late in games could be pretty awesome, assuming Mullins sticks around. 

• Like 1