Hays traded to Phillies

deward

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

But, as of right now he has a better shot at playing in the World Series than here for a team that’s currently floundering. 

If it makes you feel any better about things, the Phillies are 2-5 since the ASB and under .500 (9-10) in July. So they’re doing a bit of floundering too. 

As are the Yankees (6-13 this month), Mariners (7-12), Braves (8-12), Brewers (9-10), Dodgers (10-10), and Guardians (10-11).

Turns out it’s real hard to consistently play great baseball for 6 straight months.

• Upvote 1

Just now, e16bball said:

If it makes you feel any better about things, the Phillies are 2-5 since the ASB and under .500 (9-10) in July. So they’re doing a bit of floundering too. 

As are the Yankees (6-13 this month), Mariners (7-12), Braves (8-12), Brewers (9-10), Dodgers (10-10), and Guardians (10-11).

Turns out it’s real hard to consistently play great baseball for 6 straight months.

We’ve had the injury bug hit us hard. I get it and know it sucks. But the errors, lack of concentration, and poor play need to stop. As I said, losses happen. It’s the way we are losing. 

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a pretty unbelievable ovation for a newcomer who’s more of a lunch pail player than a superstar.  Gotta admit, Phillies fans bring the passion. 

The only true home field advantage in MLB imo

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We’ve had the injury bug hit us hard. I get it and know it sucks. But the errors, lack of concentration, and poor play need to stop. As I said, losses happen. It’s the way we are losing. 

I don’t disagree at all. We look awful. It’s painful to watch. I threw a bottle across my office today when they dropped that pop up — fortunately it was plastic, but in that moment, I don’t think I would have cared if it was glass.

But I’d bet a lot of the fans of those other teams (many of whom we also know are really good teams) are really frustrated too. The Yankees fans are just as apoplectic as we are, I know that for a fact. The baseball season is a marathon, some of the stretches get real ugly. Just gotta hope they come out the other side soon. I think they will — these guys are good players, they’re just in their heads collectively right now.

• Upvote 1

I’m Hays may have been an ass - I never would’ve thought that, but he has been the only one talking about an extension and the only one taking pot shots after he’s been traded so maybe this is housekeeping and not organizational implosion. In the same breath, he probably saw the tea leaves and knew he was not going to get a major contract without getting playing time and the talent around him was better.

29 minutes ago, Pruke said:

I’m Hays may have been an ass - I never would’ve thought that, but he has been the only one talking about an extension and the only one taking pot shots after he’s been traded so maybe this is housekeeping and not organizational implosion. In the same breath, he probably saw the tea leaves and knew he was not going to get a major contract without getting playing time and the talent around him was better.

He's due probably $7-8 million in arbitraion, so probably knew when he expressed interest during spring training that he was a serious non-tender candidate after this season.  Perhaps if he finishes strong this season (especially in October) that Philly might pick up the last year of arbitration, but he'd have to prove he's more than a platoon 4th OF that is aging fast.

A Fangraphs commenter had the fun take that right now Austin Hays, Seranthony Dominguez and Cristian Pache are the clubhouse leaders by a lot at most likely to get a 2024 ring.

Take that Gunnar Henderson, Aaron Judge and Shohei Ohtani.