Orioles acquiring Zach Eflin

LookitsPuck

1 hour ago, Malike said:

18M dollars for a number 4. I hope they do better 1-3 in the offseason and he doesn't become our "Ace".

I’m not sure about “number 4.” 

The guy is the 9th most valuable pitcher of the last two seasons per Fangraphs — and even if that seems a little too lofty (it does to me), we’re talking about a guy with a 3.70 ERA and peripherals/metrics that all check in right around 3.30. 

Outside of Philly and Seattle, I don’t think there’s anywhere in the league where this dude is a #4.

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Since it is all minor leagues there will need to be some roster moves. Option Baker, DFA Avila/Krook, Suarez to the pen?

Nittolli was designated for assignment.  So far it should be Pache taking Hays spot, Dominguez taking Nittolli spot and Efflin taking McDermott’s spot.  Those were the easy moves on who to let go it gets more difficult with another move.  

Etzel is meh to me just too many outfielders in the organization to worry about losing him.  He is behind Stowers, Cowser, Kjerstadt, Norby, Beavers, Honeycutt and maybe Fabian.  If he was playing for us in 2026 something went wrong with lot of guys as he just doesn’t have plus tools to match those guys imo.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, CaptainRedbeard said:

This is a fantastic trade. Eflin is NOT a #4. He was worth 4.8 fWAR last year. 1.8 fWAR so far this year. By Fangraphs Depth Charts he is projected rest of season tied for #17 most WAR among starting pitchers with 1.2 - tied with Sonny Gray, Luis Castillo, Logan Gilbert, Freddy Peralta, Shota Imanaga. 

Eflin is a rock solid 2/3, bonafide playoff-caliber SP to pair with Burnes and Grayson, under control for next year as well, and we got him for middle of the farm system prospects because we are able to take on his entire $18M salary next year. The first indication of Rubenstein opening up the checkbook.

Eflin has a career BB/9 under 2 and just over 1 the last two years. He’s a phenomenal command pitcher and will be very refreshing to watch. If Skubal and Crochet are not traded, he’ll be the best pitcher moved at this deadline.

This is maybe a bitttt of a rosy take on Eflin. I like him just fine, but he has given up 12 runs over his last 4 starts, and the Statcast doesn't lie about him losing a little something this season.

But, overall, we need him. No question.

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m not sure about “number 4.” 

The guy is the 9th most valuable pitcher of the last two seasons per Fangraphs — and even if that seems a little too lofty (it does to me), we’re talking about a guy with a 3.70 ERA and peripherals/metrics that all check in right around 3.30. 

Outside of Philly and Seattle, I don’t think there’s anywhere in the league where this dude is a #4.

Everyone can acknowledge he had a good last season. His ERA+ isn't even league average this season and he's striking out 7 per nine. He was much better last season, in his last four seasons, he's had an ERA+ over 100 once.

Edited by Malike

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is maybe a bitttt of a rosy take on Eflin. I like him just fine, but he has given up 12 runs over his last 4 starts, and the Statcast doesn't lie about him losing a little something this season.

But, overall, we need him. No question.

12 runs over his last 5 games* 

You left out that 0R performance…

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Everyone can acknowledge he had a good last season. His ERA+ isn't even league average this season and he's striking out 7 per nine. He was much better last season, in his last three seasons, he's had an ERA+ over 100 once.

His ERA- has been better than league average 5 of the last 6 seasons, besides this one. He’s a high floor starter who at his worst is going to be better than Kremer has been this year, while averaging nearly 6 innings per start. It would be great to see them add another starter as well, but they are clearly in a much better spot today for the remainder of this year and next season than they were yesterday. 

Solid trade. Gives some breathing room in the rotation and the last spot can be used for Suarez/Povich/McDermott to battle it out between them rather than having to depend on them. It’d still be nice to get another SP that’s more impactful but it’s not quite as necessary anymore.

I feel like they didn’t give up too much either. At least no one that we’d be counting on too much. I was interested to see what Baumeister becomes but I’m not upset about losing him.